Author Topic: Rumor: Suns want 1st rd pick for Dragic  (Read 8666 times)

Re: Rumor: Suns want 1st rd pick for Dragic
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2015, 12:25:15 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Bradley is 24.  He's on a reasonable contract that should only look better as time goes on.  He's improved constantly since entering the league, and he's been a role model for hard work and effort.  Also a better defender than Dragic.

That said, Dragic is a more impactful player right now.  Crafty scorer and excellent finisher. Not a great facilitator. But he's an explosive athlete who's entering those years when the athleticism starts to go.  Jameer Nelson is 33, for example, and he's got nothing left.  29-33 is a steep downward curve for athletic back court players.  Not many guys are able to reinvent themselves.  We should tread carefully with Goran.

« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2015, 12:40:34 PM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Dragic seems like a fine player but it doesn't seem like the right time for the Celtics to get him.  He would be a rental likely as he will likely decline his player option and become an UFA.  Can't believe he would want to sign with the Celtics as part of rebuild and if he would, why not just sign him after the season and not give up any assets?

« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2015, 12:55:34 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Dragic is a good player, but I don't like the idea of trading for a guy who's likely to leave in FA given the number of teams with cap space coming up and the increasing cap number overall.

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2015, 01:47:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Dragic is a good player, but I don't like the idea of trading for a guy who's likely to leave in FA given the number of teams with cap space coming up and the increasing cap number overall.

Yup........I see Lakers will go for him definitely .   If .....they can't get Rondo

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2015, 02:04:40 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Right.  What do the Celtics gain by trading for him now?  He helps them make the playoffs, perhaps, and then the time spent with the team gives them a much better shot at re-signing him?

I doubt that's really worth giving up a first rounder, but maybe.  Admittedly, I'm a huge fan of Goran Dragic.  He's one of my favorite players.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2015, 02:07:34 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I'd say take the risk. It doesn't seem that the Celtics pick going to be deep in the lottery this year.

« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
Pass.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2015, 02:49:26 PM »

Offline PAOBoston

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 533
I really like Dragic as a player and I think he would be a great fit on this team. I just don't see the Celtics giving up assets for someone who is entering free agency in the summer. If the C's want him that bad, they can try and sign him in the offseason.

« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2015, 03:55:55 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Two birds with one stone? We'd have to feel really good about resigning Dragic:

http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=mn7blbn

Smart + Olynyk + Thornton + picks for Boogie
1st rounder + TPE for Dragic

« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2015, 04:56:50 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
My offer would be:

Avery Bradley

& either

2 second round picks OR the Minnesota pick (from the Wright trade).

The Suns could start Thomas or Bledsoe at PG, and start Bledsoe or Bradley at SG. They would still have Tyler Ennis & Zoran Dragic to play backup point if they opted to start Thomas & Bledsoe.

3 Reasons the trade should get done:

1) The trade would improve the Suns defense.

2) Dragic is going to be an UFA, hence why the Suns don't deserve a guaranteed first for a player that isn't guaranteed to stay.

3) Both players have about the same salary. Dragic's salary would basically replace Bradley's. Dragic would command a few extra million in free agency which won't be a problem for the C's.

« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2015, 05:41:21 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
My offer would be:

Avery Bradley

& either

The Suns could start Thomas or Bledsoe at PG, and start Bledsoe or Bradley at SG. They would still have Tyler Ennis & Zoran Dragic to play backup point if they opted to start Thomas & Bledsoe.

2) Dragic is going to be an UFA, hence why the Suns don't deserve a guaranteed first for a player that isn't guaranteed to stay.

3) Both players have about the same salary. Dragic's salary would basically replace Bradley's. Dragic would command a few extra million in free agency which won't be a problem for the C's.

I think Dragic is looking at about twice what Avery Bradley makes, so it's a significant cap hit of 15 million+
Personally I'd rather Bledsoe-he's the better player.
Dragic is nice and would do well out here in the East but he's not turning into Steph Curry any time soon.
16 points, 4 assists and 3.6 rebounds per 33.4 minutes a game? I'd rather let Smart and Young see if they can beat those numbers within 2-3 years considering he'd be playing with Smart as a combo guard tandem.

He's almost 29 years old and he's a free agent in the offseason.
No thanks.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2015, 05:43:43 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1546
If we are talking about something like Bass and the Clippers pick, I don't see why you wouldn't do it, even if Dragic leaves it still seems like it is worth the risk (and you would still hold his rights so you could sign and trade as a possibility).
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2015, 05:48:01 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I really like Dragic and 2 months ago I would have pushed for him. But now I'd rather gut it out with the young guys, prefer to see Smart, Young (and yes AB) get major minutes and continue to grow.

Dragic is 29? if he was 26 I'd be all in for trading for him.

« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2015, 05:48:28 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
My offer would be:

Avery Bradley

& either

I think Dragic is looking at about twice what Avery Bradley makes, so it's a significant cap hit of 15 million+
Personally I'd rather Bledsoe-he's the better player.
Dragic is nice and would do well out here in the East but he's not turning into Steph Curry any time soon.
16 points, 4 assists and 3.6 rebounds per 33.4 minutes a game? I'd rather let Smart and Young see if they can beat those numbers within 2-3 years considering he'd be playing with Smart as a combo guard tandem.

He's almost 29 years old and he's a free agent in the offseason.
No thanks.
I don't think Dragic pulls 15M.  Hayward got 14.  Isaiah Thomas got 7.  I know the cap is going up, but 15 sounds like an overpay.  The entire Hawks roster would make you choke at the thought of 15 for Dragic.  A guy like Draymond Green will probably get that much.

« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2015, 05:53:00 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2929
If we are talking about something like Bass and the Clippers pick, I don't see why you wouldn't do it, even if Dragic leaves it still seems like it is worth the risk (and you would still hold his rights so you could sign and trade as a possibility).
Yeah, Bass and the Clips pick for Dragic would be a steal, and I'd do it in a New York minute. Bass might even help their second unit for a playoff push.