Author Topic: Rumor: Suns want 1st rd pick for Dragic  (Read 8662 times)

Rumor: Suns want 1st rd pick for Dragic
« on: February 12, 2015, 09:56:34 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
@GeryWoelfel
Hearing Suns want a first-rounder for Goran Dragic and, rest assured, they'll get it. Rockets got to be tempted.
9:32pm - 11 Feb 15

We definitely have the assets to get him. We could combine our Clips pick with a 2nd rd pick or two and it should be enough. Dragic would be a good fit in a 3 guard rotation alongside Smart and Bradley, since he can play effectively both with and without the ball. We'll have to pay him big money this summer, but that contract won't be bad considering the spike contracts across the board will take in the summer of 16.

Re: Rumor: Suns want 1st rd pick for Dragic
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 10:01:54 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Acquiring Dragic and then making a big play for Deandre Jordan this summer would be a sure way to return to semi-respectability by this time next year.  Wouldn't even tie up all of the cap space to sign those two.

Would still be a star wing player away from being truly competitive, but maybe that's what the stockpile of picks is for.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 10:03:47 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Definitely worth a first, however, he is most likely going to test free agency next year. I'd be worried about giving up a first and then having him sign elsewhere.

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
Acquiring Dragic and then making a big play for Deandre Jordan this summer would be a sure way to return to semi-respectability by this time next year.  Wouldn't even tie up all of the cap space to sign those two.

Would still be a star wing player away from being truly competitive, but maybe that's what the stockpile of picks is for.

Plus, this draft is very strong at the 3 spot.

Sullinger
1st rd pick- Johnson, Oubre, Winslow, etc.
Jordan
Dragic
Smart

With a bench rotation of-

Olynyk
Zeller
Bradley
Young

Would look pretty good

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2015, 10:05:37 AM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Celtics are not in position to trade assets for a player rental.

And if the Celtics traded Rondo because Smart is the PG of the future, does it make sense to bring in another PG that will command a good size contract?

« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2015, 10:06:31 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 1615
  • What a Pub Should Be

And if the Celtics traded Rondo because Smart is the PG of the future, does it make sense to bring in another PG that will command a good size contract?

This.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2015, 10:08:48 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson

Yes. Dragic is a much better fit alongside Smart because he can shoot and stretch the floor. Rondo can't be off the ball because of his shooting. Plus, Dragic has been better than Rondo for a while now.

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2015, 10:22:21 AM »

Offline WeMadeIt17

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 435
While i love Dragic. Is it worth it? This would force Stevens hand to either put Smart or Bradley to the bench and I don't wanna see Marcus there anymore. If i knew AB was going to be our 6th man then i'd say yes. Do it. But my gut would say Brad would start AB.

« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2015, 10:33:10 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

got to be honest, the more I watch Smart, the more I wonder if he can be the PG of the future.  seems to have more trouble than a good PG should have dribbling in traffic.  pairing him with Dragic would work I think.  Smart's D is terrific but as far as playmaking skills, he's not as good as Turner and Turner isn't all that great. 

wouldn't be against acquiring him assuming the price was reasonable and they were able to get him to re-up after this contract is up AND provided there was a solid plan in place to add at least another good vet to go with him.  would be pointless to bring him in by himself since it won't gain us much and likely wouldn't be able to convince him to sign an extension.

« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2015, 11:41:14 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

I don't entirely disagree, but if you could get Dragic for Bradley and a 1st, wouldn't you do it?

The Celtics are middle of the road record-wise despite the tear down.  A high draft pick isn't coming at this point, and it might not next year either.  So need to explore other avenues of talent acquisition.

Dragic would fit well with this roster, won't cost an outrageous sum this summer, and should remain a solid trade chip even after he gets paid.  If Ainge thought he could re-sign him, it could make sense to go after him.

I'd rather have Dragic at 4 years / 50 million than Bradley on his current contract.  Dragic has positive trade value around the league and he's miles better as a PG or SG.
You値l have to excuse my lengthiness葉he reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:00 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish

got to be honest, the more I watch Smart, the more I wonder if he can be the PG of the future.  seems to have more trouble than a good PG should have dribbling in traffic.  pairing him with Dragic would work I think.  Smart's D is terrific but as far as playmaking skills, he's not as good as Turner and Turner isn't all that great. 

wouldn't be against acquiring him assuming the price was reasonable and they were able to get him to re-up after this contract is up AND provided there was a solid plan in place to add at least another good vet to go with him.  would be pointless to bring him in by himself since it won't gain us much and likely wouldn't be able to convince him to sign an extension.

I don't think Smart is ever going to be a Chris Paul or even Jeff Teague style point guard.  He doesn't have a super fast first step or a great crossover.  I think he can become similar to Lowry, where he makes the smart play, is a bulldog defensively, takes advantages of mismatches and is a straight line driver when the opportunity presents.  A good but not spectacular player.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2015, 11:44:27 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968

I don't entirely disagree, but if you could get Dragic for Bradley and a 1st, wouldn't you do it?

In a New York second .   

But ...they would want Smart not Bradley

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2015, 11:53:19 AM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2700

The celtics traded Rondo because they weren't going to give a max deal to a guy hitting 30 comming off acl surgery who can't shoot, pounds the ball, and is petulant at best. I can see them giving Dragic a max deal though, different situation altogether.

« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2015, 12:19:59 PM »

Offline aingeforthree

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 134

Not in position ? With that many picks & assets, you're wide open. You're in any position to do anything you want to do.

« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2015, 12:24:25 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

The celtics traded Rondo because they weren't going to give a max deal to a guy hitting 30 comming off acl surgery who can't shoot, pounds the ball, and is petulant at best. I can see them giving Dragic a max deal though, different situation altogether.

Are we still arguing that Rondo is a baby who pounds the ball? Anyway yes I would definitely trade for Dragic.