Author Topic: Can we use all TE on one player?  (Read 1134 times)

Can we use all TE on one player?
« on: February 12, 2015, 05:49:30 AM »

Offline the_gunner

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 3
Hi all

I still find the whole system with TE a bit complicated.

What will happen with the timeframe in which TE's can be used if they get traded?

Is it possible to use all of our TE on one player? Could we for example sign Cousins for several TE and some picks?

If that is possible then I would love us to trade TE's, 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks for Cousins.

We should do it because our TE's might our best trade asset besides our picks. I really can't see that anybody else would value our players as high as we value them, so I can't see them trading for our players.

Re: Can we use all TE on one player?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2015, 06:34:32 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17
Hi all

What will happen with the timeframe in which TE's can be used if they get traded?

Is it possible to use all of our TE on one player? Could we for example sign Cousins for several TE and some picks?

If that is possible then I would love us to trade TE's, 3 first round picks and 3 second round picks for Cousins.

We should do it because our TE's might our best trade asset besides our picks. I really can't see that anybody else would value our players as high as we value them, so I can't see them trading for our players.

No. You can't combine TPEs with other players or other TPEs to match the salary of one player and you can only take back salaries capped at the amount of the trade exception unlike when taking back players and you can take back 125% or 150% depending on your cap status.

You can take multiple players back as long as their total salary fits the exception but you can't combine them. So the largest salaried player the Celtics can acquire using a TPE is capped by Rondo's 12.9M exception.

Re: Can we use all TE on one player?
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2015, 09:18:12 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Hi all

No. You can't combine TPEs with other players or other TPEs to match the salary of one player and you can only take back salaries capped at the amount of the trade exception unlike when taking back players and you can take back 125% or 150% depending on your cap status.

You can take multiple players back as long as their total salary fits the exception but you can't combine them. So the largest salaried player the Celtics can acquire using a TPE is capped by Rondo's 12.9M exception.

Slight correction:  You have a $100k leeway when using a trade exception (or cap room) in a trade.  So we could take back a player making $13 million, instead of $12.9, for Rondo's TPE.  In practice, I doubt it will matter, but if there's someone out there making $13 million even, he can be targeted.