Author Topic: Boogie Cousins - BOS/BKN/SAC idea  (Read 4989 times)

Boogie Cousins - BOS/BKN/SAC idea
« on: February 11, 2015, 10:37:12 AM »

Offline Timbaland7

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
Who says no?  http://espn.go.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=lczsbsw

BOS out:
Sullinger
Bradley
Bass
1 First (’15 Top 3 protected)
3 Seconds

BOS In:
D Cousins
R Sessions

Nets out:
Brook Lopez

Nets In:
Bass
Bradley
1 Second

SAC out:
D Cousins
R Sessions

SAC In:
Lopez
Sullinger
1 First (’15 Top 3 protected)
2 Seconds (best)

Why it makes sense for Boston:
•   They get the best player in the trade. 
•   Bradley expendable with Young being a much better shooter and Thornton can play more minutes.  Young is a SG, not SF.  He’s playing out of position.
•   Olynyk is a better fit for Steven’s system than Sully.

Why it makes sense for Brooklyn:
•   Lopez has been delegated to the bench.  Mason Plumlee is their future
•   Cap Space.  They save something like $7m this year by doing this.  Bass is FA after season, so Lopez $$$ comes off the books next year.  That’s another $20m in savings.
•   Depth – Bradley and Bass will make the team better this year.  Bradley will be a very good backup to JJ, allowing them to limit JJs minutes and extend his career.
•   Draft picks.  They don’t have any
•   They won’t get a better deal than this.  They almost flipped him to OKC for Perk and Lamb.

Why it makes sense for Sacramento:
•   Boogie wants out and the team is a mess.  They need to blow it up.
•   Lopez is a top 10 center in the league when he is the focus of the offense.  His stock is way down and should demand a better return from NJ.  Buy low.
•   Sullinger is a good building block for the future and replaces 75% of D Cousin’s stats.
Draft picks are assets that they can flip.  If they demand 2 Firsts and a Second, then do that.

Re: Boogie Cousins - BOS/BKN/SAC idea
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 10:50:19 AM »

Offline celts10

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 25
Good idea but I just don't see Brooklyn shipping out Brook Lopez to take on Bradley's long-term contract. They may love to have Bass though since he is a vet and an expiring to help push for an 8th-seed playoff spot this year.

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 10:58:27 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
I like it!   Not sure Sac would do it.  If he wants out they are shopping him for the best deal.   While our offer is good there is others out there that will be better to get a talent like him.   

I'd like to keep Bass in this trade.   Move Crowder/Pressy or not take back Sessions.   

Smart/Turner
Thorton/Young
Prince/Turner
Bass/Ko
Boggie/Zeller

Randolp/Wallace at the end of the bench.   
Diggles

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 11:23:21 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
I like it but Sac would need more first rounders to move Cousins. Not sure Brook would want to take on Bradley's long term salary.

The framework of the deal is pretty ok though.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 11:30:25 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Sac and Nets wouldn't touch it.  not enough for Cousins or Lopez

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 01:12:17 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
I would expect Sacramento to prefer more picks and cap room, to give Karl a chance to build his team.

e.g.

Thornton (expiring), Sullinger, 3x 1st rounders, TPE
<=>
Cousins, Thompson (salary dump for TPE)

That would give Sacramento a poor man's Cousins (Sully), $15M in cap room, and 3 picks to build around. Much better than Lopez, Sully and a pick for them IMO.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 01:27:33 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
Not close for Sac. Lopez really isn't that much positive value with his health.

Sac isn't going to get hosed on a trade with Cousins. He is under contract for three years after this and every team in the league would make an offer.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 01:35:47 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
Sac and Nets wouldn't touch it.  not enough for Cousins or Lopez

This.

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 01:53:55 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Agree that Nets may not want AB. But if they could flip him for Lance they might go for that.

On the Kings haul throw in an additional 1st pick from Nets that we have and that is good. Sully, Lopez, two 1st, and two 2nds. Very good.

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 02:04:22 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 538
Sac has a serious PR problem if they unload Cousins - one that could easily be perceived as being of their own making.  I doubt they'd move him unless the situation just couldn't go on any longer.

It's an interesting proposal but you have to look at the business end of things from the pov of all involved.

Cousins and the Boston media would be an interesting mix though.  I wouldn't mind seeing it.

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 02:14:10 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033

Sac isn't going to get hosed on a trade with Cousins. He is under contract for three years after this and every team in the league would make an offer.

Luckily (or not), players like Cousins tend to force their way to the team they want to play for. All he'd have to do is make it clear he didn't want to play in certain cities and those teams' offers would go way down.

We'd have to convince him we were about to build a Big 3 around him and encourage him to force his way... you know, without tampering!

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 02:21:15 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Sacramento says no.  They need a lot more than a single first rounder for Cousins.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 02:24:15 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
James Harden got traded for what essentially amounts to three first rounders (Lamb and eventually Adams and McGary), Kevin Martin, and the rights to Alex Abrines.  I'd expect Sacramento to demand a package similar to that, particularly if they'd be trading a not-even-in-his-prime-yet DeMarcus Cousins with 3.5 years left on his contract.

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 02:49:49 PM »

Offline Irish Stew

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 56
The fact that you want to acquire one of the best young talents in the league and still want to protect the one first round pick that you give them indicates that you hope to steal Cousins. As one of the other posters said, think about three first round picks. Let's offer both our first round picks this year and our Brooklyn pick next year with Sullinger and the expiring contracts of Thornton and Bass. Trades should be painful for both teams. Leave the Nets out of this. As an aside, by my rough calculations we would have enough cap space to make a max offer for someone like Butler by keeping only our guaranteed contracts, even after making this deal.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2015, 04:38:40 PM by Irish Stew »

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 05:07:54 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Luckily (or not), players like Cousins tend to force their way to the team they want to play for. All he'd have to do is make it clear he didn't want to play in certain cities and those teams' offers would go way down.

We'd have to convince him we were about to build a Big 3 around him and encourage him to force his way... you know, without tampering!

That is true for players going into their walk years (or potential walk years). The threat of "don't trade for me because I won't resign in 4 years" doesn't carry nearly as much weight as "I won't resign at the end of this year." With 3+ years left on his deal, he either plays in Sacramento or for the team that is able to make the Kings a godfather offer. In 3 years, the leverage will be his.