Author Topic: If we get Cousins would rondo come back?  (Read 6042 times)

If we get Cousins would rondo come back?
« on: February 11, 2015, 09:31:48 AM »

Offline Hawkeye199

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 131
 people here have been speculating that cousins is unhappy and the celtics certainly have enough pieces to contend for him if he was available.  say we offered sacremento wallace, olynyk clippers pick and the 2 brooklyn picks My question is let's say we got cousins rondo is in free agency. rondo has been known to be close with cousins. I think if we got cousins before the trade deadline we would be in the play-off's. so my question to you guys would be would rondo come back to boston to a playoff team to come home and win a championship with his buddy?
zach lavine-jeremy lin-tyus jones
jeremy lamb-tyshen prince-Andre miller
will barton- beljina-
Kevin love-kevin garnet-payne
Karl anthoney Towns-JJ hickson

Re: If we get Cousins would rondo come back?
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2015, 09:33:58 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
I wouldn't give a max to Rondo. I prefer Smart and Cousins as a duo.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2015, 09:58:07 AM »

Offline Section301

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 26
  • Yum
Seriously, if we had Cousins would you give him up for KO, Wallace and three firsts?  If the answer is no, why would Sac do it?  If the answer is yes, then the C's should probably keep KO and the picks....
Good food, like good music and good love, always requires a little sweat in the making in order for it to be truly memorable.

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2015, 09:59:38 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427

i don't know why, but for some reason, I still think Smart can be a combo guard. We'll see how he plays in the second half of the season, whether or not he drives more. If we do get Cousins, I would absolutely want Rondo back.

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2015, 10:05:22 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Rondo is not coming back, unless perhaps it's 6 to 8 years down the road and he's returning as a veteran backup to run the second unit.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2015, 10:09:27 AM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
people here have been speculating that cousins is unhappy and the celtics certainly have enough pieces to contend for him if he was available.  say we offered sacremento wallace, olynyk clippers pick and the 2 brooklyn picks My question is let's say we got cousins rondo is in free agency. rondo has been known to be close with cousins. I think if we got cousins before the trade deadline we would be in the play-off's. so my question to you guys would be would rondo come back to boston to a playoff team to come home and win a championship with his buddy?

Danny Ainge has said in interviews that Rondo will not come back to Boston.

However, has this happened before? Has a team traded its best player mid-season, collect assets from it, and then have that player return in free agency over the summer? Would the NBA investigate anything? It does seem kind of shady.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2015, 10:13:36 AM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349

i don't know why, but for some reason, I still think Smart can be a combo guard. We'll see how he plays in the second half of the season, whether or not he drives more. If we do get Cousins, I would absolutely want Rondo back.

I still think Smart is a shooting guard a la Dwyane Wade. A bigger, stronger, smarter Avery Bradley (from the 2012 team), if you will. A fantastic complementary guard, maybe not a go-to scorer, but one who just stuffs the stat sheet.

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2015, 10:18:57 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Let's hope not!

« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2015, 10:28:11 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I still think Smart is a shooting guard a la Dwyane Wade. A bigger, stronger, smarter Avery Bradley (from the 2012 team), if you will. A fantastic complementary guard, maybe not a go-to scorer, but one who just stuffs the stat sheet.

that's my thoughts exactly...I don't want to say it too much because people will start calling me crazy haha. But I think given the time for him to grow and rest that ankle, he will drive more...I mean for god's sake, he's 6'4 @ 225 lbs, that is a HUGE guard...I remember the seeing him face to face in the season opener, god is he BIG. Him standing next to Jeff Green, he makes Jeff Green looks skinny. And then during a time out, he was standing next to Deron Williams, even he would make him look like a dwarf...

With that said, given the confidence, I honestly think he can tank his way through his matchups

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2015, 10:43:56 AM »

Offline ddb

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 17
No thanks on Rondo. That ship has sailed.  He was a really good Celtic while he was here, but that era is over.  I compare the Rondo Era to the Mo Vaughn era.  Enigma type of player... Some all-Star teams.  But not a guy you want to pay Max money too.  Ainge made the right decision here and I feel really good about Marcus Smart and his future. 

I think this is Marcus Smart's team now.  Even if Ainge does a blockbuster,  I think he's going to keep Smart off the table much like how he kept Rondo off the table back during the Allen/KG deals

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2015, 11:29:28 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
Stevens system, and the majority of the league for that matter, is predicated on "pace and space", neither of which Rondo is very good at. So why would we want him? Because he played well 3 years ago in a different coach's system, with different players around him, and before his knee tear? Let him be the Mavs, or whoever decides to over pay him, problem.

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 11:34:38 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Stevens system, and the majority of the league for that matter, is predicated on "pace and space", neither of which Rondo is very good at. So why would we want him? Because he played well 3 years ago in a different coach's system, with different players around him, and before his knee tear? Let him be the Mavs, or whoever decides to over pay him, problem.

I agree with the second half of your statement, but in a vaccum I'll take Rondo over Stevens' laughable excuse for an offense ten times out of ten.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 11:45:40 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.

that's my thoughts exactly...I don't want to say it too much because people will start calling me crazy haha. But I think given the time for him to grow and rest that ankle, he will drive more...I mean for god's sake, he's 6'4 @ 225 lbs, that is a HUGE guard...I remember the seeing him face to face in the season opener, god is he BIG. Him standing next to Jeff Green, he makes Jeff Green looks skinny. And then during a time out, he was standing next to Deron Williams, even he would make him look like a dwarf...

With that said, given the confidence, I honestly think he can tank his way through his matchups

I agree with what you're saying. He has the same build as Wade, but I think Smart will be a great passer, because he seems really unselfish. He loves to share the ball, and isn't afraid of making tough passes, because of his confidence.

"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 11:50:18 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

I agree with the second half of your statement, but in a vaccum I'll take Rondo over Stevens' laughable excuse for an offense ten times out of ten.

I wouldn't. Today, not a few years ago, Stevens is better as a coach than Rondo is a player minus the price tag/salary cap implications.

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 11:50:55 AM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas

I agree with what you're saying. He has the same build as Wade, but I think Smart will be a great passer, because he seems really unselfish. He loves to share the ball, and isn't afraid of making tough passes, because of his confidence.

I see that as well, he's not Rondo, but he makes the right passes, and does have flashes of making some difficult passes. I definitely see improvement in him every game. The more he plays the more confidence he gets...since starting I see him more confident shooting the ball and I'm starting to see that drive! And one thing I don't see mentioned a lot but his rebounding is also going up! I don't have stats, but by watching the game and seeing the box score, his rebounds have been consistent and I see him boxing out people bigger than him

I ABSOLUTELY LOVE THIS GUY!