Author Topic: Atlanta trades Adreian Payne to Minnesota for 2017 1st.  (Read 10488 times)

Re: Atlanta trades Adreian Payne to Minnesota for 2017 1st.
« Reply #30 on: February 10, 2015, 04:45:53 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Boston could always explore a feasible Bass trade with Detroit for KCP and BOFA, though.

« Reply #31 on: February 10, 2015, 04:54:38 PM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
To Pick n Roll:

Flip has little to do with the tank job.  Minnesota sealed their fate years ago when they failed to extend Kevin Love.  That being said, the Love trade may work out very well for them and we may not be able to pass judgment on it for 2-3 years.

Wolves were a lottery team, knew they weren't contending this year (just like us) and are rebuilding around a young core (just like us).  They are following the correct course of action for their franchise.

And, like others have said, how did ATL get a first round pick (albeit 2 years out) for some guy most of us have never heard of?  All we hear is that our players who should be better than Payne can't garner a 2nd round pick.

« Reply #32 on: February 10, 2015, 05:40:55 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
Boston could always explore a feasible Bass trade with Detroit for KCP and BOFA, though.

Detroit gets a nice laugh out of the call then hangs up.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #33 on: February 10, 2015, 05:50:43 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
To Pick n Roll:

Flip has little to do with the tank job.  Minnesota sealed their fate years ago when they failed to extend Kevin Love.  That being said, the Love trade may work out very well for them and we may not be able to pass judgment on it for 2-3 years.

Wolves were a lottery team, knew they weren't contending this year (just like us) and are rebuilding around a young core (just like us).  They are following the correct course of action for their franchise.

And, like others have said, how did ATL get a first round pick (albeit 2 years out) for some guy most of us have never heard of?  All we hear is that our players who should be better than Payne can't garner a 2nd round pick.
Flips been leading the tank job this year, in my opinion.  He's maximized every injury, maximized every Lavine minute, traded what amounts to their 2nd best player this year for a 2019 second.  Fairly sure he'll continue by unloading anyone besides Rubio or Wiggins.  I'm not saying it's the wrong move, I'm just saying he's tanking well.

« Reply #34 on: February 10, 2015, 05:51:23 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Decent gamble for Minny. I thought highly of Payne before the draft and think he has potential. Love the Minny core. So young, so deep. Loads up upside left and right at several positions.

« Reply #35 on: February 10, 2015, 06:02:11 PM »

Offline YoungOne87

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 65
didnt understand that they drafted him anyway...

« Reply #36 on: February 10, 2015, 06:44:46 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Cos he's a rook. He has a rookie contract and potential.

I'm not as down on our guys as others are, though. I think there's a market for them.

Edit: On a rookie contract, rather**
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 06:49:56 PM by pokeKingCurtis »

« Reply #37 on: February 10, 2015, 07:03:48 PM »

Offline hpantazo

• Kevin McHale
  • Tommy Points: 2704
And, like others have said, how did ATL get a first round pick (albeit 2 years out) for some guy most of us have never heard of? All we hear is that our players who should be better than Payne can't garner a 2nd round pick.

I'm not as down on our guys as others are, though. I think there's a market for them.

It's no different than getting a 1st round pick for James Young. Payne was drafted two spots before Young. Would you consider it such a steal if we had traded Young for Minny's 2017 1st?

« Reply #38 on: February 10, 2015, 07:14:21 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
And, like others have said, how did ATL get a first round pick (albeit 2 years out) for some guy most of us have never heard of? All we hear is that our players who should be better than Payne can't garner a 2nd round pick.

It's no different than getting a 1st round pick for James Young. Payne was drafted two spots before Young. Would you consider it such a steal if we had traded Young for Minny's 2017 1st?

Especially if it were a lottery protected 1st?

Essentially it seems as if Atlanta is giving up pick #15 in the most recent draft for a pick no better than that at least three draft from now.  In that sense, Minny is giving less than the 15th pick, and that's probably in part because Payne's value has taken a hit.

I think more what we're seeing here is confusion on why either side would do this.  For Atlanta, I think it's because they're lining up a bigger move than merely a free agency signing.  Minny I guess thinks they're buying low, so why not?  They picked 13th last year and undoubtedly had a good look at him then, so it's acquiring value.

I personally think Minny overpaid, since it seems like Atlanta was willing to quickly move on, but who knows.  Maybe this move frees Atlanta to acquire that last piece that's puts them over the top in June, and Payne turns into a solid contributor before long, and is a win-win.

« Reply #39 on: February 10, 2015, 11:18:34 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182

Detroit gets a nice laugh out of the call then hangs up.

I think they'd consider it if they got to dump BOFA in the process.

« Reply #40 on: February 11, 2015, 01:08:32 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280

Was referring to guys like Bass and Thornton.

I think the guy was talking about how Payne can yield a first, and yet our vets cannot even though they're better players.

I was talking about how some talk about vets, such as Bass, like they won't fetch anything in return. I think some team will surely offer assets for our vets by trade deadline.

« Reply #41 on: February 11, 2015, 04:27:33 AM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

Payne, like a lot of rookies hasn't burst out from the gate, but to make it sound like Atlanta just pulled off a coupe is a bit premature.

They just received a future pick that is guaranteed to be no higher than #15 for a guy who was just taken at #15 in what many people felt was a deep draft. While, the inability for Payne to get no minutes and that the Hawks are already prepared to move him brings up questions, but it could be Atlanta has plans to use that pick and roster space to bring in a veteran to contribute right away.

With Bennett not impressing and Young with an ETO that he might exercise, their biggest potential need is at the 4, particularly someone who has good range and can stretch the defense. Payne hasn't shot well at all from deep in the D-League this year but he showed at Michigan State that he can stretch the floor.

If I'm a T-Wolve fan, I'd be a bit nervous as to why Altanta is willing to move the guy they just drafted at #15, but right now this seems like a fairly even deal to start.

If the Celtics had traded James Young (the #17 pick who has played primarily in the D-League) for the Minnesota pick, would you have felt we robbed Minnesota?