Author Topic: Atlanta trades Adreian Payne to Minnesota for 2017 1st.  (Read 10478 times)

Re: Atlanta trades Adreian Payne to Minnesota for 2017 1st.
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2015, 02:53:57 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is a surprising trade, it will be tough to pass judgement until the pick protection is revealed. I know its Loto protected in 2017 the interesting thing will be 18,19. If it switches to 2nds then its a great deal for Minn. Payne could be a very nice 3rd big who is a stretch 4 with good size. ATL seems to be clearing space to bring in vets to push for the finals this year.

The thing is, if Minny does improve enough such that we get their pick next year, it will automatically be bumped to 2018.

I think it will be lottery protected 2017-2019, and 2 2nds in 2019-2020 if it didn't convey.
The fact that we (potentially) own Minnesota's 2016 first round pick precludes them from trading their 2017 pick.  There is no automatic bumping.  The trade, as stated, doesn't work.

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2015, 02:58:35 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
This is a surprising trade, it will be tough to pass judgement until the pick protection is revealed. I know its Loto protected in 2017 the interesting thing will be 18,19. If it switches to 2nds then its a great deal for Minn. Payne could be a very nice 3rd big who is a stretch 4 with good size. ATL seems to be clearing space to bring in vets to push for the finals this year.

The thing is, if Minny does improve enough such that we get their pick next year, it will automatically be bumped to 2018.

I think it will be lottery protected 2017-2019, and 2 2nds in 2019-2020 if it didn't convey.
The fact that we (potentially) own Minnesota's 2016 first round pick precludes them from trading their 2017 pick.  There is no automatic bumping.  The trade, as stated, doesn't work.

Automatic bumping was a lazy term by me, but they can trade their 2017 on condition that their 2016 doesn't convey, and make it 2018 if it does.  And put protections on one or both years, and or other additional years.  This is the case with our pick from Memphis, a pick the Lakers owe Orlando, and probably others.  It's common enough so that teams know how to handle it.  That said, it certainly could convey only in 2017 as well, so if we get Minny's 2016 pick, Atlanta is out of luck.

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2015, 02:59:45 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Correct -- based on the info we have now. It'll be interesting to see what else surfaces, unless ATL is confident enough in Payne's relative meh-nitude that they don't mind letting him go (potentially) for free.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2015, 03:05:19 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Automatic bumping was a lazy term by me, but they can trade their 2017 on condition that their 2016 doesn't convey, and make it 2018 if it does.  And put protections on one or both years, and or other additional years.  This is the case with our pick from Memphis, a pick the Lakers owe Orlando, and probably others.  It's common enough so that teams know how to handle it.  That said, it certainly could convey only in 2017 as well, so if we get Minny's 2016 pick, Atlanta is out of luck.
OK, I see what you mean.  I didn't realize teams were building those kinds of conditions into trades, but you are correct.

« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2015, 03:13:04 PM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I thought Payne was a perfect fit for Atlanta's system in the long run - long versatile stretch-4. That is very strange.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2015, 03:20:35 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Atlanta is gearing up for a playoff run, and needs an asset not in their player rotation to trade. Getting a good pick for Payne is a no-brainer as it has value with every trading partner whereas Payne may not interest some teams.

Bass + 2nd
Mack + Brand + Minnesota pick?

Gives Atlanta another playoff veteran in exchange for the end of their bench and a pick swap.
We get another 1st out of Bass.

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2015, 03:26:59 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Don't see any possible way Atlanta wastes that first rounder on an expiring Brandon Bass.  Trading away Payne for a first rounder makes all the sense in the world for Atlanta.  Trading away that first rounder for a guy who could walk in a couple of months makes considerably less sense.

« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2015, 03:45:17 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
Don't see any possible way Atlanta wastes that first rounder on an expiring Brandon Bass.  Trading away Payne for a first rounder makes all the sense in the world for Atlanta.  Trading away that first rounder for a guy who could walk in a couple of months makes considerably less sense.

I don't either.  That said, Brand for Bass works straight up, so if that's an improvement to the frontcourt Atlanta wants to make, it can happen easily from a salary perspective, and the only negotiating would be regarding draft compensation.  While I'm sure some will speculate that the roster spot is for a free agent (like Allen), they can always release someone else at their bench, like Muscala, to make room for him.  Also, Atlanta still has its room exception, and so can offer Allen, or any other free agent, more money than most of his other suitors.

« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2015, 03:49:15 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
Brand for Bass would be a really crappy thing to do to Elton, IMO.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2015, 03:53:19 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey

I realized after I posted that because he's on a 1-year deal with Bird rights, Elton can veto any deal.  So if he thinks it'd be a crappy thing to do, then it won't happen.

« Reply #25 on: February 10, 2015, 04:01:41 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
Weird.  Sota doesn't really have minutes for him either.

Oh, but they do.  Bennett hasn't shown anything to deserve playing time over him and I'll be shocked if Young is still in Minnesota post-deadline.
Yeah Bennet's sucked. Shooting slight better but otherwise he's the same player as he was in Cleveland, which is D-league quality.
He's not getting the minutes or opportunity.  He shows some flashes of being good long-term.   In the 2 games he started he put up 10 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3 assists on 47% shooting.  Not great, but it would be interesting to see what he'd do with a bigger chunk of time.

It's still a strange trade, because now they have Dieng on the bench and Dieng has been fantastic.  Bennett deserves some developmental minutes... so I don't see where Payne gets his minutes unless they move Thad soon.

« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2015, 04:14:21 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Well in the 49 other games he's sucked. Heck even those two starts he was essentially playing at the level he's been all year, just in 28ish minutes.

His per/36 is 11.8 points 8.6 reb and 1.9 ast for the whole year, even his starts weren't promising beyond shooting respectably.

Dude isn't a good player and they're even playing him as a smallish PF, and it hasn't helped him find his way one bit.

« Reply #27 on: February 10, 2015, 04:20:22 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950

Oh, but they do.  Bennett hasn't shown anything to deserve playing time over him and I'll be shocked if Young is still in Minnesota post-deadline.
Yeah Bennet's sucked. Shooting slight better but otherwise he's the same player as he was in Cleveland, which is D-league quality.
He's not getting the minutes or opportunity.  He shows some flashes of being good long-term.   In the 2 games he started he put up 10 points, 6.5 rebounds, 3 assists on 47% shooting.  Not great, but it would be interesting to see what he'd do with a bigger chunk of time.

It's still a strange trade, because now they have Dieng on the bench and Dieng has been fantastic.  Bennett deserves some developmental minutes... so I don't see where Payne gets his minutes unless they move Thad soon.

Payne should get his minutes in the D-League because he is a project big who needs to work on defense.  However, the T-Wolves don't have a 1-to-1 affiliation with a D-League team.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #28 on: February 10, 2015, 04:24:09 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327

Payne should get his minutes in the D-League because he is a project big who needs to work on defense.  However, the T-Wolves don't have a 1-to-1 affiliation with a D-League team.
So they're sharing a team with a ton of other NBA teams, that's not good.

« Reply #29 on: February 10, 2015, 04:42:58 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell

I realized after I posted that because he's on a 1-year deal with Bird rights, Elton can veto any deal.  So if he thinks it'd be a crappy thing to do, then it won't happen.

Oh, yeah, didn't realize that. Brand is another one of those tremendous players that really got robbed by an injury.