Author Topic: Jimmy butler Trade  (Read 5757 times)

Jimmy butler Trade
« on: February 09, 2015, 11:31:30 PM »

Offline jordan23x07

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
We give the bulls BRADLEY our first round pick and Thornton, for butler. We get a star player we can sing to a max contract next year and the bulls get a good shooting guard in Bradley for the future that wont cost them 16 mil next year. What you guys think?

Re: Jimmy butler Trade
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2015, 11:36:34 PM »

Offline Endless Paradise

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 182
Yeeeeeah, that's not happening.

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2015, 11:47:20 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
It'd probably take Smart plus a future first for Butler at the very least. Butler's low salary and Chicago's lack of unwanted contracts make a Bradley trade virtually impossible. Your best bet is hoping their cheap owner doesn't want to pony up the dough to keep him, or that the coaching/management problems Chicago is having right now makes Butler force himself out.

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »

Offline jordan23x07

• Open Roster Spot
  • Tommy Points: 0
wouldn't you think the owners would want something in return for jimmy if they cant afford him next year because yes the Chicago owners notoriously cheap. And Bradley would fit great into the system playing under tibbs

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2015, 02:04:43 AM »

Offline tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 550
wouldn't you think the owners would want something in return for jimmy if they cant afford him next year because yes the Chicago owners notoriously cheap. And Bradley would fit great into the system playing under tibbs
If they want to trade Butler, they could get a lot more than just Bradley.  We'd at least have to give them one of our good firsts.  If I'm Philly, I'd offer my 1st pick (top 3 and 15-30 protected this year) for Butler. 

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2015, 02:14:22 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
This is a horribly unrealistic trade idea that fails to explain why the Bulls would want to trade Butler this season.  (It fails because there is no realistic reason.  Doc Rivers would be incapable of being that incompetent of a GM.)
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2015, 02:15:52 AM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
We give the bulls BRADLEY our first round pick and Thornton, for butler. We get a star player we can sing to a max contract next year and the bulls get a good shooting guard in Bradley for the future that wont cost them 16 mil next year. What you guys think?
What are ya, a Bulls fan?

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=-zsB2g8yY58
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2015, 02:52:28 AM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
I don't know why people are being so harsh on subby.  The Bulls are at best 50/50 on keeping Butler next season.  There is a 0% chance he accepts a $3 m qualifying offer after this season and the Bulls already have about $59 million of salary next year if they don't keep Butler.  That means they can't offer more than $12 million at absolute most - we would be better off giving him a Daryl Morrey style offer sheet (Jeremy Lin / Chandler Parsons / Omer Asik) designed to screw over their current team. 

If we just stepped in and offered $15 million, they would have 7 days to match it (I think).  Considering they also have to resign Joakim next off season, we could even offer $13 m this offseason, then like $17 m for 2016 and really ruin their books.  If we offer that and agree to trade with the Bulls I bet we get him, it's just a question of Danny wanting to pay that much.  I guess another team could offer a lot too, but our books are looking pretty clean at the end of this year.

I'm going to throw in a disclaimer here that it's late and I could be massively overlooking some capology nonsense, but basically, I don't think it's implausible that he at the very least leaves the Bulls without a trade taking place.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2015, 02:58:09 AM by Quetzalcoatl »

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 08:50:31 AM »

Offline jay

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 50
I think Bradley/Olynyk plus Wallaces contract could get us a max player in a sign and trade this summer. Might have to throw in a couple of good first rounders.

Can Butler be that guy? Maybe the Bulls cap situation makes them at least think about it. Can we pull it off without giving up Smart?

Boston would certainly have to pay through the nose, but you don't get star players very often.

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 10:12:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
I think Bradley/Olynyk plus Wallaces contract could get us a max player in a sign and trade this summer. Might have to throw in a couple of good first rounders.

Can Butler be that guy? Maybe the Bulls cap situation makes them at least think about it. Can we pull it off without giving up Smart?

Boston would certainly have to pay through the nose, but you don't get star players very often.

In terms of salary matching, Wallace-Olynyk will be enough for most players, and Pressey can be added as non-guaranteed filler if need be.  Bradley only is included if he's wanted by the other team (which does make some sense in a Butler trade, but not in other trades necessarily).  Also, the Celtics will have room to sign at least one max outright with cap room, and can use a sign-and-trade to acquire a second max player.  This strengthens their negotiating position, because one team will get compensation for their player, while the other team won't, and whomever takes less will get something.  Furthermore, if they just trade Wallace and draft compensation to a team with cap room they'll most likely have the ability to sign two maxes outright, which further increases leverage. (Of course, this requires the C's to get two max players to agree to come here, but if so, they'll have some negotiating strength.)

The real fun happens if the C's trade Bradley and Turner before next season, because then the C's will have room for two maxes outright, and can use Wallace-Olynyk/Sullinger-Pressey to sign-and-trade for a third.

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 10:17:42 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I don't know why people are being so harsh on subby.  The Bulls are at best 50/50 on keeping Butler next season.  There is a 0% chance he accepts a $3 m qualifying offer after this season and the Bulls already have about $59 million of salary next year if they don't keep Butler.  That means they can't offer more than $12 million at absolute most - we would be better off giving him a Daryl Morrey style offer sheet (Jeremy Lin / Chandler Parsons / Omer Asik) designed to screw over their current team. 

If we just stepped in and offered $15 million, they would have 7 days to match it (I think).  Considering they also have to resign Joakim next off season, we could even offer $13 m this offseason, then like $17 m for 2016 and really ruin their books.  If we offer that and agree to trade with the Bulls I bet we get him, it's just a question of Danny wanting to pay that much.  I guess another team could offer a lot too, but our books are looking pretty clean at the end of this year.

I'm going to throw in a disclaimer here that it's late and I could be massively overlooking some capology nonsense, but basically, I don't think it's implausible that he at the very least leaves the Bulls without a trade taking place.

It's not at all implausible that he leaves, but it seems very unlikely that they'd trade him for role players midseason when they're trying to win a championship, which is what the OP was proposing. 

BTW teams now have just 3 days to match RFA offer sheets.

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2015, 10:21:51 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Two things (that you may have overlooked due to lateness):
1) Bulls would have 3 days to match.
2) The luxury tax line next year should be around $80 million, so Bulls would be able to match anything for Butler and stay under the luxury tax (although their current committed salary next year is closer to $62 million than $59 million).  This would leave the Bullls about $3 million in space and at 9 players, however, so it would push them close, but considering the impending spike in salary cap the following season, the Bulls would look pretty foolish to let Butler walk because he might push them slightly into the luxury tax for a single season.  It would make more sense to give someone a draft pick for two useful years of Taj Gibson than to let Butler get away, if they're dead-set against the luxury tax.

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2015, 10:26:05 AM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If people think a team like the Bulls are gonna let Jimmy McBuckets leave in RFA, due to SALARY issues, I have to disagree highly on here.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2015, 09:27:52 PM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
If people think a team like the Bulls are gonna let Jimmy McBuckets leave in RFA, due to SALARY issues, I have to disagree highly on here.
Butler is going no where. Taj Gibson may be had in the offseason. The Bulls will draft a big fro sure.
Monroe and Tobais Harris will be Knicks. I don't see a RFA of note moving to another team.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2015, 10:13:49 PM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885