Author Topic: Clippers Collapse  (Read 21580 times)

Re: Clippers Collapse
« Reply #60 on: February 09, 2015, 02:38:58 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
A key thing to remember is that Doc is essentially the Clippers' GM, in that he has final say on all personnel decisions.

What that suggests to me is that the Clippers will be very aggressive in the trade market with Griffin down in an effort to keep the ship afloat, even if the cost is extremely high. If the Clippers miss the playoffs, that would be a huge embarrassment for Doc.

On another note... This episode is yet another reminder of how ridiculous it is to criticize Ainge at this juncture. He squeezed four unprotected first round picks out of two diminished hall of famers and a coach who wanted to leave anyway.

But what disposable salaries do the Clips have to trade with? Aside from a couple of vet min contracts, I see nothing that can be used to bring back help, without disrupting the rotation.

Clips are also right up against the lux tax threshold, I believe. They are pretty much strapped.
Worse than that they are hard capped, which gives them incredibly limited flexibility.

« Reply #61 on: February 09, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »

Offline Mr October

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 247
A key thing to remember is that Doc is essentially the Clippers' GM, in that he has final say on all personnel decisions.

What that suggests to me is that the Clippers will be very aggressive in the trade market with Griffin down in an effort to keep the ship afloat, even if the cost is extremely high. If the Clippers miss the playoffs, that would be a huge embarrassment for Doc.

On another note... This episode is yet another reminder of how ridiculous it is to criticize Ainge at this juncture. He squeezed four unprotected first round picks out of two diminished hall of famers and a coach who wanted to leave anyway.

But what disposable salaries do the Clips have to trade with? Aside from a couple of vet min contracts, I see nothing that can be used to bring back help, without disrupting the rotation.

Clips are also right up against the lux tax threshold, I believe. They are pretty much strapped.
Worse than that they are hard capped, which gives them incredibly limited flexibility.

Yeah no kidding. They probably have to hold tight for the next 3 weeks and wait for buyout season.

« Reply #62 on: February 09, 2015, 03:10:20 PM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4593
Clippers at Boston on March 29th.

Celticsblog might implode trying to figure out who to root for in that one. 

Just think, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the's C's are in 9th place and the Clips in 8th at that point.  I can't even imagine what some people on this blog would be saying in that scenario.

Or what if the C's are in a 4-way tie for 5th worst record at that point.  Do you want to risk going from 5th to 8th in the draft for a chance to move from 20th to 14th?  Ha, I can imagine the debates now.

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #63 on: February 09, 2015, 03:18:45 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Just think, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the's C's are in 9th place and the Clips in 8th at that point.  I can't even imagine what some people on this blog would be saying in that scenario.  Ha.

Further complicating it would be whether you'd prefer picking 14 and 15 or 12 and 18(or maybe 17), should our winning result in knocking the Clipps out.

Another note, I've noticed almost everyone on the internet calls them the 'Clips' with one 'p'. I use two. Who's wrong?

« Reply #64 on: February 09, 2015, 04:18:25 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Slightly off topic, but do you think CP360 has ever heard of the boy who cried wolf?

He's always flopping and complaining to the refs. But some refs dont put up with that junk, and then when there's actually a foul, he cries some more. Only to be let down because of previous floppage

Gotta say, i enjoy watching the clippers in the playoffs, because refs tend to buckle down

Of course, i wouldnt mind NOT seeing them in the playoffs this year
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #65 on: February 09, 2015, 04:28:30 PM »

Online Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1549

Just think, it's not outside the realm of possibility that the's C's are in 9th place and the Clips in 8th at that point.  I can't even imagine what some people on this blog would be saying in that scenario.  Ha.

Further complicating it would be whether you'd prefer picking 14 and 15 or 12 and 18(or maybe 17), should our winning result in knocking the Clipps out.

Another note, I've noticed almost everyone on the internet calls them the 'Clips' with one 'p'. I use two. Who's wrong?
you
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #66 on: February 09, 2015, 05:02:26 PM »

Offline Granath

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 567
I don't expect it to happen, but the irony would be so, so, so ungodly sweet if the Clips pick ended up being in the lottery and the Celtics made the playoffs.   ;D
Jaylen Brown will be an All Star in the next 5 years.

« Reply #67 on: February 09, 2015, 05:20:22 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

Societah.

« Reply #68 on: February 09, 2015, 05:30:44 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

1.) The top 12 are great and I'd gladly take the worst of that group, with the exception of Kevon Looney.  Just say no to 6'9" PFs, Danny!  Please!

Anyways, top 12 means we're getting Miles Turner, Justice Winslow or someone like Mario Hezonja falling.  14th or 15th means we're picking Frank Kaminsky or Montrezl Harrell, ugh.  I would honestly take the guys who are projected to go 18-25 over the 13-17 guys and I'm not kidding.  I'd take Bobby Portis or Justin Anderson over a lot of guys.

2.) Clips all day

« Reply #69 on: February 09, 2015, 05:35:43 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

I'd prefer we pick #1, #13, #16.  In this universe we finish with the 7th seed (and so avoid Atlanta) and the Clips miss the playoffs and in true Clippers fashion, becomes #1 overall.  Furthermore, the T-Wolves go on a run to finish with the 12th-worst record, and get dropped to 13 when our Clips pick wins the lottery, so that we get their first this year, as it's only top 12 protected.

How's that for an absurdly ideal scenario?  (Oh yeah, Stevens somehow coaches his way to a title.)

« Reply #70 on: February 09, 2015, 05:41:50 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

I'd prefer we pick #1, #13, #16.  In this universe we finish with the 7th seed (and so avoid Atlanta) and the Clips miss the playoffs and in true Clippers fashion, becomes #1 overall.  Furthermore, the T-Wolves go on a run to finish with the 12th-worst record, and get dropped to 13 when our Clips pick wins the lottery, so that we get their first this year, as it's only top 12 protected.

How's that for an absurdly ideal scenario?  (Oh yeah, Stevens somehow coaches his way to a title.)

You forgot the part where the 76ers win their next 20 games in a row and make the 8 seed, so we get the 15th pick, too

« Reply #71 on: February 09, 2015, 05:46:02 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

You forgot the part where the 76ers win their next 20 games in a row and make the 8 seed, so we get the 15th pick, too

I thought about it.  I also thought about the Mavs and Clips both missing the playoffs, with the Mavs not moving up in the lottery, giving us #1 and 13-16.  But then I thought people would just think I was crazy.   ;D

« Reply #72 on: February 09, 2015, 05:46:26 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Speak of the devil, guess who has the longest current winning streak in the West? Anything's possible!!!

I'm still reeling however from the gradual realization that I've spelled 'Clips' wrong on this blog about 150 times in the last six months alone.

« Reply #73 on: February 09, 2015, 05:53:13 PM »

Offline ImShakHeIsShaq

• NCE
  • Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 804

Speak of the devil, guess who has the longest current winning streak in the West? Anything's possible!!!

I'm still reeling however from the gradual realization that I've spelled 'Clips' wrong on this blog about 150 times in the last six months alone.

I thought about it a time or 2 myself but I always go with the shorter version b/c it's looks better to me. Clipps just doesn't look right and it isn't a word so the red squiggly makes it worse. Just use whatever you like.
It takes me 3hrs to get to Miami and 1hr to get to Orlando... but I *SPIT* on their NBA teams! "Bless God and bless the (Celts)"-Lady GaGa (she said gays but she really meant Celts)

« Reply #74 on: February 09, 2015, 06:00:15 PM »

Offline tstorey_97

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 586
Since the current reality (Boston/February/2015) is being roundly abandoned here at blog...not a bad thing based on what is going on outdoors, I'm just going push all these "what if we get a 14th overall or something" with Blake out and Doc gakking while his son gets run outta town realities aside.

No, I have a far more inventive out and out fantasy reality that gets our team a way more useful pick than this silly double digit tweener material.

In my "alternate draft reality" The commissioner of the NBA reverses the Clippers sale and gives the franchise back to that freak and his wife.....then all the Clipper's players walk and LAC completes the season with Jordan Crawford starting at point.....Okafor is gonna look good in green.