Author Topic: Quietest PRE-trade deadline in HISTORY  (Read 1835 times)

Quietest PRE-trade deadline in HISTORY
« on: February 07, 2015, 09:18:36 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
Wow, here we are 12 days before the NBA trade deadline, and it is, for the most part, CRICKETS!!!  This is the quietest I can remember it being prior to the deadline, and I have been following this for a while, going back to the 1990's.

Thoughts as to why?  Does this mean that we might actually see some substantive trades?

Please clarify something for me.  If we don't use our $5 million and our $13 million TPE's by the deadline, do we basically lose them???

Smitty77

Re: Quietest PRE-trade deadline in HISTORY
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline Mlewis1392

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 12
The TPE doesn't expire until it's a full year from the date that we acquired it

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2015, 09:34:50 AM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
But, I heard that with us being under the cap after this year, we canNOT use them.  Isn't that for all practical purposes correct??

Thanks,

Smitty77

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:07:56 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Let's hope it is quiet before the storm

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2015, 12:03:30 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
But, I heard that with us being under the cap after this year, we canNOT use them.  Isn't that for all practical purposes correct??

Thanks,

Smitty77
I hear that is the rule. If Cs want to use their cap space to sign a FA they will have to renounce tpe. However if they were to resign their own player (Reggie Jackson or Greg Monroe?) they still retain TPE I believe. It's why trading for a soon to be FA may actually be a good cap move. Will be interesting deadline.

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2015, 12:15:35 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Trade exceptions count against the cap.  It is possible to both have a trade exception and be under the cap.

As to the thread itself, nearly every year people comment/complain about how quiet the pre-deadline period is.  Of course, December and early January were an incredibly active period for trades. I'm not sure why that's being excluded from the "pre-trade deadline" period.  Also, considering the awful trade ideas posted recently, thank goodness for the current lull.

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25629
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Keep in mind that we're allowed to make trades after the regular season, so long as we are not participating in the playoffs at the time of the trade.  The most common date for such trades is draft night, but they can be made all the way up to June 30.

There are restrictions, primarily that you can't trade for a guy who has a contract that is about to expire (or could expire with an option, etc.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2015, 01:58:28 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
I don't know. Over the last 10 years there have been some awfully quiet trade deadlines and a couple years that even though there were a bunch of trades on the last day, there were little to no rumors about anything.

But yeah, it's real quiet this year. But remember, Danny has already made 5 trades and I am not sure anymore will be coming.