Author Topic: Could We Get Draymond Green Lite? (Idea)  (Read 2529 times)

Could We Get Draymond Green Lite? (Idea)
« on: February 04, 2015, 10:31:18 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
I know that most active posters on here are not too thrilled with getting role players when we don't even have stars yet, but I also know that the right role players can help stars develop.

Awhile back, someone posted an idea of offering Draymond Green the max due to his defensive versatility, all-around skill-set, and basketball IQ. I don't think the Warriors are going to let him go, but there is another player that might be available this off-season that brings 80-90% of what Green brings.

Kris Middleton.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6609/khris-middleton

He can defend multiple positions, shoot the three (45%), and is very athletically gifted, all at age 23. He is extremely versatile (last year he was listed as a PF, this year a SG) and has developed a lot over the past few years. He works very hard and seems to be very coachable. Would you believe that he is 15th on the RPM stat. He is also the 3rd non-bigman in DRPM, after Green and Leonard. He is also 26th in WAR. He just seems to do a lot of little things to help his team win games.

I think Crowder may still develop into this type of player, but at this point in their careers, Middleton is much closer to a Green than he is a Crowder.

With the Bucks focused on signing Knight this off-season, we might be able to get him for the right price. His shooting would fit in really well and he would give us some much-needed athleticism and versatility on defense. If Green is worth close to the max, I might be willing to give him 8 million a year.  Thoughts?

Re: Could We Get Draymond Green Lite? (Idea)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 10:44:58 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That is awesome.  When I saw the title of this thread, I thought "Khris Middleton".

Well done, DWC, well done.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 10:49:11 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
The Bucks are one team I haven't watched much this year, but I hear a good things about Middleton.  He's an intriguing player and he's definitely making some noise lately.  If he can shoot and play defense, that's a start.

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 10:52:41 PM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
If he can shoot and play defense, that's a start.

He shoots (4th in the league in 3PT%), plays defense, runs the floor, can play three positions, and he's a humble and hungry kid.  He's probably not going to be a star, but he can be a very good role player.  Plus, he's been having more and more big nights lately.  (21/7/7 with three steals tonight.)

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 11:18:17 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Sounds like he had a knee injury his last year of college.  Did that trail into his first year as a pro (only 27 GP)?  Good to see that he played every game last year.  Are we OK with those knees?

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:28:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Middleton is decent. Kind of like a Paul Pierce. Not overly athletic/quick but knows how to maximize from his sweet spots.  Step backs, turnaround j's. Decent ball handling skills

Bucks have Parker, Giannis and Middleton. Something has to give eventually.

I wouldn't mind bringing in KM. But not on the top of my list to be our next starting sf

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2015, 11:29:30 PM »

• Paul Silas
Smart, Bradley, and Middleton would absolutely harass opposing guards and wings. In fact, their defensive ability might cover the lack the rim protection enough for Sullinger and Olynyk to play on the court at the same time. That would be five legit shooters out there, if Sully can ever find his stroke.

« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2015, 11:35:06 PM »

• Paul Silas
Sounds like he had a knee injury his last year of college.  Did that trail into his first year as a pro (only 27 GP)?  Good to see that he played every game last year.  Are we OK with those knees?

I don't know about his injury history. Was he injured his rookie season, or did he just fall out of Detroit's rotation? Anyway, he has put together a fully healthy (not even small nagging injuries) year and a half now.

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2015, 11:53:47 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
Middleton is decent. Kind of like a Paul Pierce. Not overly athletic/quick but knows how to maximize from his sweet spots.  Step backs, turnaround j's. Decent ball handling skills

Bucks have Parker, Giannis and Middleton. Something has to give eventually.

I wouldn't mind bringing in KM. But not on the top of my list to be our next starting sf
I think Parker can play the 4 and Giannis can play any position you want, fwiw.

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2015, 02:18:57 AM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25
Interesting idea for a few reasons:

1) Arguably the Celtics' biggest deficiency right now is 3-point shooting. Middleton has shown 2 years in a row he can make 3s.

2) Like you guys have mentioned, the Bucks may have a surplus on their hands with Knight, Mayo, Giannis, Dudley, and Jabari.

3) The Celtics could also use some size at guard.

His NBA tracking defense stats are pretty good, too: http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203114/tracking/defense/?Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2015, 02:45:48 PM »

Offline Forza Juventus

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 70
I agree that it would be great to sign Khris Middleton but Milwaukee has plenty of room before they hit the luxury tax so I think they'll match any offer.
Azzurri | Juventus | Boston Celtics | Kentucky Basketball

"All the negativity that’s on Celticsblog sucks. I’ve been around when Kyrie Irving was criticized. I’ve been around when Al Horford was insulted. And it stinks. It makes the greatest team, greatest fans in the world, lousy."

Celticsblog=sports radio

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2015, 03:57:42 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54
DWC, I love the idea, TP for you.  Not sure what it would cost but he is a clear upgrade over Crowder. 
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby