Author Topic: What moves would you make at trade deadline?  (Read 4177 times)

What moves would you make at trade deadline?
« on: February 03, 2015, 03:41:10 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
Players likely to be traded:
-Bass
-Thornton
-Prince
-maybe even Wallace  ;D

I would trade Bass to Portland for Robinson and Freeland.
Maybe Prince to Detroit or Clippers ,they are in need of a SF.

Would moves would you make?
More picks?
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

Re: What moves would you make at trade deadline?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2015, 03:50:51 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
Take on some bad deals for some of our draft picks and wait for the pendulum of expirings vs. draft picks to swing back in the other direction.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2015, 03:59:14 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
Bass and a second round pick (or Bass + Crowder) for Stauskas and Derrick Williams.

Prince and Clippers pick for Pistons pick and expirant fillers (Jerebko + Kyle Singer?).
« Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 04:06:45 PM by jonaslopes »
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:05:04 PM »

Offline LarBrd33

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2016
I want to maximize cap flexibility this summer.   Preferably here's what I'd do.

Bass, Thornton and Prince have no future in Boston.  They are mediocre veterans that could help a good team.   My guess is Danny is waiting to see if someone offers a pick (even 2nd rounder) for them prior to the deadline.  If we don't get any bites, they'll be bought out. 

Avery Bradley is an overpaid role player and very replaceable.  If we can dump him for an expiring contract and some kind of pick or rookie-scale contract, I'd do it.  In an ideal world, we combine him with Gerald Wallace for a fat expiring contract, but I can't see that happening.  More likely we hang onto Wallace until next season when he gains value as an expiring.

Our trade exceptions can only really be utilized prior to the offseason, because we'll need to renounce them in order to utilize our cap space.  I Wouldn't use these to take on long-term contracts.  If someone needs to dump a contract to get under a tax line or something, take on the contract and a pick as long as the contract expires this summer.  We can also try to utilize them to be facilitators in 3-team trades as long as we are taking back expiring contracts.   

Try to trade Crowder for some kind of pick compensation.  I don't want to pay him this summer even if it's a "reasonable" deal.  Very replaceable role players are not a priority for this team.

Explore moving Evan Turner in a sell-high situation, but be prepared to hang onto him.  He's under contract next season at a very reasonable 3.4mil.  No urgency to move him.

So in other words, keep carving out cap space and bringing in picks for future moves.  This offseason, we can explore signing free agents or making trades for big contracts, but be prepared to just utilize our picks to bring in quality youth.

« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:10:15 PM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 421
I think Bass and Prince need to be moved to contenders for what ever the Cs can get. Thorton's contract will be tough to match for any team. If an asset can be had for Turner I would also move him.

I would ultimately like to see a rotation of Smart, AB, Crowder, Sully and Zeller starting with KO, Young and Pressy getting the bulk of the bench minutes for the rest of the season. I also expect AB to shut it down at some point to heal his thumb. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 04:16:34 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I agree with what most have said. Take whatever you can get at this point for Bass, Prince, and/or Thornton. It probably won't be much. Actually, Crowder too unless Stevens has any objections.

Sit on Wallace. Don't pay anything to move him.

Sit on Turner.

« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 04:30:07 PM »

Offline DrJasper

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 71
I think we should go after assets we could use to move up in this years draft.
Memphis Grizzlies
PG: Dragic, Ball, Carter
SG: Temple, KCP, Holiday, Washburn
SF: Richardson, Anderson, Parsons, Casspi
PF: Jackson jr, Beasley, Watanabe
C: Adebayo, Green, Noah
https://basketball.realgm.com/nba/teams/Memphis-Grizzlies/14/Rosters/Regular/2019  +21 Lal 2nd

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 04:50:26 PM »

Offline aporel#18

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 170
trade 'em all!

Bass and GodZeller to Portland for T-Rob, Meyers Leonard and POR 2015 first round pick (this year's late pick could be ideal to stash an international player like the Bulls did with Mirotic)

why for Portland? win now with a good to great backup big men combo, LaMarcus is no spring chicken and they can't wait for the kids to develop.
why for Celtics? save money, take a look at the kids, a pick, getting Bass and Zeller in a good situation.

Prince for Landry Fields and the Raptors 2017 second round pick

why for Toronto? they need championship experience at the wing.
why for Celtics? save money, a 2nd rounder, send Tay to a contender not named Clippers

Thornton for Ilyasova and the Clippers 2017 first rounder owned by Milwaukee

why for Milwaukee? he isn't getting enough minutes, has 3 years on his contract and they could get some financial flexibility to make up for them being stuck with Sanders. Thornton is a veteran who can give them offense off the bench to help their playoff run
why for Boston? getting a pick, losing some flexibility but Ilyasova could redeem himself on the Celtics: can stretch the floor, good rebounder and not a tweener. Plus getting another Clippers pick could be a lot of fun in two years.

Not likely to happen, but I'd love to see something like this at the trade deadline:

Turner/Smart/Pressey
Bradley/Young/Dawkins
Crowder/Wallace/Fields
Ilyasova/Sully/T-Rob
KO/Leonard/Shav

weak interior defense would be the biggest flaw of this team, but we're getting a stud C in this year's Draft... and we could call Garnett to be our Defensive Coordinator ;D

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 04:57:50 PM »

Offline CsBanner18

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 21
Players likely to be traded:
-Bass
-Thornton
-Prince
-maybe even Wallace  ;D

I would trade Bass to Portland for Robinson and Freeland.
Maybe Prince to Detroit or Clippers ,they are in need of a SF.

Would moves would you make?
More picks?

1) Like you said, Bass to POR

2) Prince to TOR for Fields & a 2nd rounder.

3) Trade Thornton anywhere for another expiring and a second rounder (TOR for Hayes and another 2nd?)

4) Use the TPE to take on a contract that is no longer than 2 years. Could do a three team deal with DEN & BYKN to help DEN get Lopez. Absorb the Contract of McGee or KG (with the Rondo TPE) and get one of the picks DEN got from CLE in the Mozgov trade.

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 04:58:10 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think we will end up buying out Thornton and Prince. I expect that to be the extent of our moves.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 05:45:14 PM »

Online Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 868
Bass and a second round pick (or Bass + Crowder) for Stauskas and Derrick Williams.

Not so sure Stauskas is worth much but at a rookie contract, why not I guess.  He is probably better than the second round pick we would be giving up.

Prince and Clippers pick for Pistons pick and expirant fillers (Jerebko + Kyle Singer?).

This second part is interesting.  I don't think Detroit would do exactly this (I don't see Prince having anything but sentimental value for them) but I like the strategy of switching picks to get a better pick (vs. just continuing to get more picks).

Especially in 2016, I hope we can parlay some of those picks into higher current picks or trade them out a few years.  We have enough picks for 2015 and more than enough for 2016.

« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 06:30:19 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
The Cs are sellers this trade season

So try to trade bass, Thornton, prince and Wallace (anything is possible) for picks and expirings trying to tank it out for the season
If the only offer is a contract further than 2 years  and a pick I say don't do the deal and let them play out the rest of the season in Boston
It's a good thing to have a couple of experienced veteran leaders for our young players

I don't really see anyone desperate enough to take our veteran players cuz of their big contracts/ lack of cap flexibility and the fact you are trading for a one year rental

Do anything possible to sell high on turner for either a pick or young player

Keep crowder but trade him if the right deal comes along

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 06:33:19 PM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I think we will end up buying out Thornton and Prince. I expect that to be the extent of our moves.

I tend to lean this way.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 06:39:24 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Don't really want to buy out prince cuz the clippers might get him and improve more
Clippers are on the rise in the standings

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 06:41:42 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Trade TPE, Cavs 1st, Mavs 1st along with players Sully, Turner and AB for Cousins and a bad contract they want to dump.
Starters: Smart, Thornton, Prince, Bass, Cousins
Bench: Pressey, Young, Crowder, Wallace, KO, Zeller