Author Topic: NCAA draft prospects positional breakdown  (Read 9354 times)

Re: NCAA draft prospects positional breakdown
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2015, 05:38:51 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145

Prozingis, +length, height, shooting range, faceup skill, shotblocking - strength (#3 option)

Can we please draft this guy? He looks like an awesome complementary piece offensively and a total stud defensively.

« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2015, 05:52:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Honestly for some reason I'm not that excited by the upcoming draft. Besides Okafor and 3 to 4 other guys I really don't think that it's a strong draft by any means...
Cauley Stein would be a solid pickup the C's, but then again he is so limited offensively. If I were Ainge, I would try to get Embiid from the Sixers by using some of our picks this year, as I'm not that excited by the players in the upcoming draft.
I agree.  I'm not seeing that transcendent talent, although Russell and Okafor have a shot.  I think there are misconceptions about "strong" drafts.  A typical draft might have

3-7 stars
10-20 role players
the rest BUSTS

Each team dresses 12 players (final 3 roster spots fluctuate wildly with Pressey types), so there are 360 "dressing" players... maybe 270 solid "rotation" players. So, if the league adds 20-30 guys through the draft each year, the league population will turn over roughly every 10-15 years. That sounds about right, with Kobe and KG as outliers.

The misconception is that top 10 picks should be stars or first rounders are all NBA-caliber players.  Doesn't work that way.  Trading the ~#25 pick for Isaiah Thomas is a complete no-brainer.  You could go 10 drafts in a row without finding a 20 point scorer at #25.

« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2015, 05:54:57 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Prozingis, +length, height, shooting range, faceup skill, shotblocking - strength (#3 option)

Can we please draft this guy? He looks like an awesome complementary piece offensively and a total stud defensively.
Sounds good on paper, but he's still averaging 11 points and 4 rebounds in Spain.  Evaluating international players is so hard.

« Reply #33 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:49 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420

Sounds good on paper, but he's still averaging 11 points and 4 rebounds in Spain.  Evaluating international players is so hard.

The 4 rbs isnt great but 11pts is really good for a 19yr old. Need to keep in mind the strength of the ACB. It really is the second best league in the world.

As a comp Spliiters last year in the ACB he averaged 15pt 9rb in 29min, his first year in NBA 9pts 5rb in 19min. His per 40 stats where almost identical between the two leagues, he actually blocked more shots per in the NBA.

Ibaka's last year with ACB (lock out excluded) he averaged 16min 7pts 4.5rb and 1blk then as an NBA rookie 18min 6pts 5.4rb 1.3blk. His per 40 just dropped 3pts per but his blocks and rb went up slightly.

Prozingis may have a greater adjustment curb do to strength concerns but players who produce in the ACB are very seldom NBA busts.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #34 on: February 26, 2015, 09:21:27 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
I think you're spot on with most of the strengths and weaknesses. I'm not sure if athleticism is a strength for Towns, he certainly isn't in the WCS range of explosiveness and it might even be a weakness at the NBA level. But he has an elite standing reach to make up for it.

With his combo of lateral agiity and vertical WCS is going to come into the NBA and be one of the top 5 big man athletes in the NBA.

Towns is a good athlete for his size. Not on the WCS level but still better then alot of nba bigs.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #35 on: February 26, 2015, 09:33:43 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72

The 4 rbs isnt great but 11pts is really good for a 19yr old. Need to keep in mind the strength of the ACB. It really is the second best league in the world.

As a comp Spliiters last year in the ACB he averaged 15pt 9rb in 29min, his first year in NBA 9pts 5rb in 19min. His per 40 stats where almost identical between the two leagues, he actually blocked more shots per in the NBA.

Ibaka's last year with ACB (lock out excluded) he averaged 16min 7pts 4.5rb and 1blk then as an NBA rookie 18min 6pts 5.4rb 1.3blk. His per 40 just dropped 3pts per but his blocks and rb went up slightly.

Prozingis may have a greater adjustment curb do to strength concerns but players who produce in the ACB are very seldom NBA busts.

I am starting to warm up to the thought of drafting this kid. We are not playing a traditional 5 anyway.

No official measurements, but I expect 7' in shoes and 9'2-9'3" standing reach at least.

He blocks shots at a rate comparable to Ibaka in the ACB.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."