Author Topic: Super Bowl XLIX Thread  (Read 69830 times)

Re: Super bowl XLIX Thread
« Reply #375 on: February 07, 2015, 11:02:12 PM »

Offline Neurotic Guy

• Dave Cowens
  • Tommy Points: 2523
I agree that 4/6 is more impressive than 4/4. At first, it seems like 4/4 is better because you never failed on the biggest stage. However, 4/4 vs 4/6 really means the 4/4 guy failed even earlier, in a less impressive game! In other words, they failed to come up in the clutch when it should have been easier to do so. To get to 6 superbowls means you had to come in clutch in 6 conference championship games, not just 4.

I agree with the premise here, but is there a more direct way to do it?

Other things to consider:
-For much of Montana's career, there was no wild card round, right? So, fewer chances to advance to SB.

-Also, there were, what, 28 teams, not 32? So less competition.

-Of course, the whole salary cap thing.

-It just makes the comparisons difficult (sort of like comparing Bill Russell to current day greats). It's hard to do.

-Can't we just say Montana was the greatest QB of his era. And TB12 is the greatest QB of his era. Enough said. Both are great. Trying to put them up head to head just doesn't make a lot of sense IMHO.

What you are saying is far too rational for a "who's better" sports argument.  If we accept the truth that both are great (enough said!), then there is no more discussion.

And what fun is that? 

« Reply #376 on: February 08, 2015, 02:40:58 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
All right I've added a bunch more QBs. Really interesting how hard it is to repeatedly make the playoffs.

A couple notes:
- This might underrate older guys because there was no wild card and fewer playoff teams the further back you go, so harder to make the playoffs.
- On the other hand, this may overrate older guys because there were fewer teams, so easier to make the playoffs.
- As well, this might overrate older individuals because if it was a 4 team playoff so you went 2-0 and won the superbowl, I gave you credit for making the playoffs, winning the division, winning the divisional round, the conference round, and the superbowl.
- Same for pre-superbowl guys. So a 1 game championship was worth 29 points!
- Note that for Unitas and Starr, who spanned the SB era, I did it a few ways. First, counted each as if a championship was equivalent to a superbowl. Second way was that a championship was only worth 1/2 a superbowl (but everything leading up to it the same). Third way was just counting the Superbowl Era.
- Otto Graham!

Re: Super Bowl XLIX Thread
« Reply #377 on: February 08, 2015, 07:58:38 PM »

Offline Fan from VT

• NCE
  • Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 777
Oh, and note that I docked Brady for 1/2 of one conference championship and gave that 1/2 to Bledsoe!

« Reply #378 on: February 08, 2015, 08:22:41 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
All right I've added a bunch more QBs. Really interesting how hard it is to repeatedly make the playoffs.

A couple notes:
- This might underrate older guys because there was no wild card and fewer playoff teams the further back you go, so harder to make the playoffs.
- On the other hand, this may overrate older guys because there were fewer teams, so easier to make the playoffs.
- As well, this might overrate older individuals because if it was a 4 team playoff so you went 2-0 and won the superbowl, I gave you credit for making the playoffs, winning the division, winning the divisional round, the conference round, and the superbowl.
- Same for pre-superbowl guys. So a 1 game championship was worth 29 points!
- Note that for Unitas and Starr, who spanned the SB era, I did it a few ways. First, counted each as if a championship was equivalent to a superbowl. Second way was that a championship was only worth 1/2 a superbowl (but everything leading up to it the same). Third way was just counting the Superbowl Era.
- Otto Graham!

This is...the greatest...sports graphic....I hath ever seen. There are not enough TPs.

ALL HAIL FAN FROM VT!  HAIL! HAIL!

« Reply #379 on: February 16, 2015, 11:30:24 AM »

Offline Jonny CC

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 76
Late post....
I took my son (15 yrs old), some of his friends and my nephews to the Patriots Championship Parade.  I froze my a$$ off but it was something that he can add to his fond memory list with the other parades we went to.  Priceless. 

Pretty spoiled...4 Super Bowls, 3 World Series, 1 Stanley Cup, and 1 NBA Championship in his lifetime. 
Before a game on Christmas against the Pacers, Bird told Chuck Person that he had a present for him. During the game, Bird shot a 3-pointer in front of Person. Immediately after releasing the ball, Bird said to Person, "Merry F!#*ing Christmas!" and then the shot went in.

« Reply #380 on: February 16, 2015, 01:41:44 PM »

Offline nickagneta

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 8794
  • President of Jaylen Brown Fan Club
Late post....
I took my son (15 yrs old), some of his friends and my nephews to the Patriots Championship Parade.  I froze my a$$ off but it was something that he can add to his fond memory list with the other parades we went to.  Priceless. 

Pretty spoiled...4 Super Bowls, 3 World Series, 1 Stanley Cup, and 1 NBA Championship in his lifetime.
My kids are in their 20's so they have enjoyed this recent unreal run of rings in Boston too. They became spoiled for a while. Thing is, they are starting to become cognizant as to just how blessed they have been to be sports fans and have your sports teams seemingly winning a championship every year.