Author Topic: DeMarcus Cousins is NOT a star..Boxscoregeeks.com explains why...  (Read 7114 times)

Re: DeMarcus Cousins is NOT a star..Boxscoregeeks.com explains why...
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 05:56:29 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
BSG is the new Bleacher Report? :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2015, 05:58:29 PM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Guys who are in the top-15 in "wins produced", the stat that doesn't like Boogie:

DeAndre Jordan (1st), Tyson Chandler (7th), Kyle Korver (8th), Danny Green (14th), Rudy Gobert (15th)

According to this metric, DeAndre Jordan produces twice as many wins as Lebron James.  I must have missed DeAndre in the Finals the past four seasons.  It's Tristan Thompson -- not Kevin Love or Kyrie Irving -- who is the second best player on Cleveland, and he's only 0.1 "win produced" behind Lebron.

Maybe my favorite is ranking LaMarcus Aldridge 51st, behind guys like Jared Dudley, Brandan Wright, and Thabo Sefolosha.  Marc Gasol is 54th, Al Horford is 58th. 

Blake Griffin has been roughly as valuable as Andre Roberson.  Cody Zeller > Dwight Howard, followed by Amare > Boogie.

If adjusted for minutes, Lebron James is the 42nd best player in the NBA in terms of producing wins.  But hey, he's 7th among SFs, behind Hall of Famers like James Johnson, Jared Dudley, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Harrison Barnes (and very slightly ahead of P.J. Tucker.)

This is a ridiculous "stat".  I think my two year old daughter could pick names out of a hat and come up with something equally legitimate. 
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:11:59 PM by Roy H. »

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2015, 06:19:04 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Guys who are in the top-15 in "wins produced", the stat that doesn't like Boogie:

DeAndre Jordan (1st), Tyson Chandler (7th), Kyle Korver (8th), Danny Green (14th), Rudy Gobert (15th)

According to this metric, DeAndre Jordan produces twice as many wins as Lebron James.  I must have missed DeAndre in the Finals the past four seasons.  It's Tristan Thompson -- not Kevin Love or Kyrie Irving -- who is the second best player on Cleveland, and he's only 0.1 "win produced" behind Lebron.

Maybe my favorite is ranking LaMarcus Aldridge 51st, behind guys like Jared Dudley, Brandan Wright, and Thabo Sefolosha.  Marc Gasol is 54th, Al Horford is 58th. 

Blake Griffin has been roughly as valuable as Andre Roberson.  Cody Zeller > Dwight Howard, followed by Amare > Boogie.

If adjusted for minutes, Lebron James is the 42nd best player in the NBA in terms of producing wins.  But hey, he's 7th among SFs, behind Hall of Famers like James Johnson, Jared Dudley, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Harrison Barnes (and very slightly ahead of P.J. Tucker.)

This is a ridiculous "stat".  I think my two year old daughter could pick names out of a hat and come up with something equally legitimate.
Tp

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2015, 06:26:14 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
When people try to account for the true impact of turnovers, assists, blocks, rebounds they usually butcher it.  Even the good formulas are limited because

40% of TO's are credited to the wrong player.
    20% of NBA assists should not have been credited at all
    of the remaining assists, 30% are passes that don't deserve any special merit

and so on.  Have to watch the games.

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:14 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Any statistic that comes to this conclusion is a joke. 

DeMarcus Cousins doesn't contribute to wins?  Despite being on a horrific team, he's a +143 on the season.  His team is 18.9 points better per 100 possessions with him on the court versus him off the court!  At least of a couple of weeks ago, the Kings starting lineup was the very best defensive lineup in the NBA, and were among the leaders in point differential.  His defense has been elite, near the top of league in FG% at the rim and on pick-and-rolls.

I am dumber for having tried to read this article.  It's time for them to re-work what is obviously a very flawed stat.  Sure, he has too many turnovers, because he's asked to do too much.  However, even with those turnovers, the Kings are a *dominant* team with Cousins on the floor.  The reasons the Kings don't win more isn't because of Cousins; it's because in the 14 minutes or so where he has to go to the bench, they get destroyed.

Here's a comment at the bottom of the article...

whoever says demarcus cousins deserves to be an all-star is a fool among the 19 centers who play at least 25 min per game he is ranked 1st in most fouls and turnovers per minute, 8th in blocks, 11th in off rebounds, 16th in efg and 10th in ts, yes he ranks 1st in steals and 4th in assist but that's not his primary role when it comes to big man duties such as rebounding and defense he fails miserably.

Comment doesn't make sense.. Rebounding, he is probably the best defensive rebounder in the league and according to that piece average on offensive boards.. Defensively he rates very well and the Kings are much better with him on the court

To be fair, the Kings defense has been pathetic for the last 2 months.
The comment says offensive rebounds are where he struggles.

The argument is that he's an inefficient scorer and his free throws are what save him.

I'm a DMC fan, I just don't know if he's as good as I thought he was.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 06:38:50 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
One of these days, we're going to GEEK ourselves right out of existence...... ;)

Don't need stats to prove to me whether or not that Demarcus Cousins is the REAL DEAL...I know he is.

If Danny gets the opportunity to get him in the near future, I trust that he'll do just that.

If we get the number one pick in the lottery? I hope it goes something like this:

"The Boston Celtics get the 1st pick in the 2015 NBA draft, and on Draft Night trade the rights to what certainly will be Jalil Okafor to the Sacramento Kings for Demarcus Cousins."

"Welcome to Boston, Jalil, but you're being traded to the Sacramento Kings for DeMarcus Cousins".

I'm personally tired of waiting for the next Tim Duncan...that train left BOS in the dark in 1996, sadly. I want the center who is the 2nd best in the game right now, behind ONLY Marc Gasol (and - 5 years younger).

DeMarcus Cousins has SKILLS...Skills will keep him in the NBA and among the best players in the game LONG after his gifts of athleticism wane.

He has done knuckle-headed things since he's been in the NBA, and that is a big part of the cloud over this man. I'm thankful that USA Basketball AND Adam Silver is FINALLY giving this man a shot.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 06:39:20 PM »

Offline FreddieJ

• Kristaps Porzingis
  • Tommy Points: 7
I will say this though, as it is Boogie WILL produce less as the season goes on. That is because the team has been DEMORALIZED by the coaching switch and aren't playing for the current lame duck coach

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 08:47:03 PM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315
Cousins is first in RPM (Real Plus Minus), first in DRPM, and second to Tyson Chandler (weirdly) in WAR (Wins Above Replacement).

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/rpm/_/sort/RPM/position/9

He's the best center in the league.

What's interesting about the stats at that link is that our own KO is 10th in RPM and 9th in WAR. Now, yes, he's a mediocre 46th in DRPM, but he's 2nd in ORPM.