Author Topic: stock rising: Rakeem Christmas  (Read 10038 times)

stock rising: Rakeem Christmas
« on: January 31, 2015, 11:57:44 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
He is a machine around the post this season.  Really improved footwork. Is getting to the line frequently. Aggressive. Color me impressed.

6'9, 7-3.5 wingspan,  250 pounds, explosive

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDqlTK9UZ94

http://www.sports-reference.com/cbb/players/rakeem-christmas-1/gamelog/2015/

Danny needs to consider getting this guy with our 2nd 1st if we fail to grab a big man with our 1st 1st.  At this rate he might not even be available around the 20's

Re: stock rising: Rakeem Christmas
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »

Offline 317

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 25
is he related to the Christmas who played for us in Summer League?

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 12:58:48 PM »

Offline RRNoLookPass

• Joe Mazzulla
  • Tommy Points: 15

I came into this thread wondering the same thing... Anyone know if he is a brother or cousin of Deonte Christmas?

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:16:11 PM »

Offline PaulAllen

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 55

I came into this thread wondering the same thing... Anyone know if he is a brother or cousin of Deonte Christmas?

I think you are referring to Lloyd Christmas..

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 01:23:27 PM »

Offline gift

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 290
I wasn't expecting much when I clicked on the topic. But I like what I saw in the video. A little Paul Millsappy, in my opinion. He's now on my radar.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 02:01:01 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549
Just say no!!!!  Rakeem Christmas is already 23 years old.  He produced very little in his 1st three college seasons.  He is a 6'9" power forward whose offense is limited and whose defense is a big unknown since Syracuse plays zone defense predominantly.  I'd say his ceiling is Brandon Bass and I definitely wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on him.  I'd much prefer using the pick on Trey Lyles or Dakari Johnson.     

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 02:11:08 PM »

Offline rocknrollforyoursoul

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 323
Looks like what a lot of wanted Jeff Green to be—a tall, athletic wing who's aggressive.
"There are two kinds of people: those who say to God, 'Thy will be done,' and those to whom God says, 'All right, then, have it your way.'"

"You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body."

— C.S. Lewis

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 02:49:43 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
Christmas has come and gone

No thanks

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 08:23:30 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Just say no!!!!  Rakeem Christmas is already 23 years old.  He produced very little in his 1st three college seasons.  He is a 6'9" power forward whose offense is limited and whose defense is a big unknown since Syracuse plays zone defense predominantly.  I'd say his ceiling is Brandon Bass and I definitely wouldn't waste a 1st rounder on him.  I'd much prefer using the pick on Trey Lyles or Dakari Johnson.     

but this season he looks like a different player.  Yeah for his first 3 seasons he was a bang and crash player mainly.  But this season he has developed very good footwork, turnaround/running hookshots , banking off the backboard at different angles.  These are "old school" moves that many younger players today do not know how to do

Christmas at 255, 260 pounds and if he can execute the same post moves in the nba, will be a load to handle. He is a decent rebounder/shot blocker also (due to his above the rim/length/explosiveness).    Christmas and KO could be a very nice inside/outside frontcourt pair imo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wunyM_8xM10
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:32:29 PM by triboy16f »

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 08:36:43 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Looks like what a lot of wanted Jeff Green to be—a tall, athletic wing who's aggressive.

exactly.   or the guy Danny was hoping JJJ would become. 

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 10:21:57 PM »

Online tazzmaniac

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 549

but this season he looks like a different player.  Yeah for his first 3 seasons he was a bang and crash player mainly.  But this season he has developed very good footwork, turnaround/running hookshots , banking off the backboard at different angles.  These are "old school" moves that many younger players today do not know how to do

Christmas at 255, 260 pounds and if he can execute the same post moves in the nba, will be a load to handle. He is a decent rebounder/shot blocker also (due to his above the rim/length/explosiveness).    Christmas and KO could be a very nice inside/outside frontcourt pair imo

Not impressed by a highlight against a La. Tech player that he outweighs by 50lbs.  I hope you're proposing Christmas and KO as an off the bench combo because they'd be the worst starting front court in the league by far.  If we were a contender and needed someone with his skills to give some productive bench minutes immediately, I might draft Christmas late in the first round.  Since we are not, I'd use the late 1st pick on one of the younger players (Lyles, Johnson, Jones, etc).   

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2015, 02:19:17 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce

Not impressed by a highlight against a La. Tech player that he outweighs by 50lbs.  I hope you're proposing Christmas and KO as an off the bench combo because they'd be the worst starting front court in the league by far.  If we were a contender and needed someone with his skills to give some productive bench minutes immediately, I might draft Christmas late in the first round.  Since we are not, I'd use the late 1st pick on one of the younger players (Lyles, Johnson, Jones, etc).   

Younger does not always mean "is going to be better"

KO and Christmas as starters if both can reach their peak

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 02:29:54 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
Another underrated player is Tyler Harvey.  One of the better shooters nobody has really heard about.   Has very good handles , quickness and plays good tough defense. 6'4 pg/sg.

better view of his game at 1:35
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yHJDFEv44gs

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 03:06:47 AM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
This is the kind of guy, if you like him, you pick in the 2nd round. Then you get to negotiate. 1st rounder and a guaranteed contract is an overpay for a late blooming, undersized senior.

You can like him, but there's no need to overpay.

« Reply #14 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:32 AM »

Offline bballdog384

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
  • Rondolope
The biggest thing about Christmas is how much he has improved this year over last year. He was one of the top PF/Cs coming out of high school, but was extremely raw when he first got to Cuse. He seems to finally be under control - if he plays with consistent energy in the NBA he could have a solid career.
"You can't play like a robot" -Coach Stevens