Author Topic: It took 36 to get 55  (Read 3328 times)

It took 36 to get 55
« on: January 31, 2015, 10:43:20 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

Everyone is drooling/talking about KIrving's 55pts.  But no one talks about his ball-hogging 36 shots taken.  36!!!

It kind of makes it less impressive when you put it in context; doesn't it....

....just saying.

Re: It took 36 to get 55
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 10:53:11 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
That's 1.53 points per shot, which is good efficiency.  Kyle Korver is the only perimeter player is the league currently averaging a higher PPS figure than that.

Kyrie put his team on his back, without Lebron, and led his team to victory against a very good team. He shut down Lilliard defensively. He made clutch shots.

Sure, it wasn't Klaus Thompsen having a perfect quarter, but it was dang good.  What's not to like?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:56:51 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In fact, only taking 34 shots to score 55 point is pretty amazing. For comparison, Avery Bradley will need 50 shots to score 55 points.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:57:16 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
That's 1.53 points per shot, which is good efficiency.  Kyle Korver is the only perimeter player is the league currently averaging a higher PPS figure than that.

Kyrie put his team on his back, without Lebron, and led his team to victory against a very good team. He shut down Lilliard defensively. He made clutch shots.

Sure, it wasn't Klaus Thompsen having a perfect quarter, but it was dang good.  What's not to like?

Maybe I am old school, but I can't see a reason for a player taking 36 shots in a game.
Lots of players can score 50+ for that many shots taken.  I am not impressed.

I guess I would like the media to point that out - the amount of shots taken, before glorifying ball-hogging play.....you know, like an asterisk next to his 55pts  ;)

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:04:38 AM »

Offline Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25640
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley

Maybe I am old school, but I can't see a reason for a player taking 36 shots in a game.

I guess I would like the media to point that out - the amount of shots taken, before glorifying ball-hogging play.....you know, like an asterisk next to his 55pts  ;)

He took that many shots because his teammates weren't producing at his level.

Isn't it better to ball hog and win, rather than to defer and lose?

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 11:12:28 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
In fact, only taking 34 shots to score 55 point is pretty amazing. For comparison, Avery Bradley will need 50 shots to score 55 points.

Haha. TP.

Dude scores 55 points how many shots you expect him to take?

Plus he led his team to a win... I don't get this.

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 11:29:49 AM »

Offline saibnel

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 7

Since you are "old school" I assume you would think the greatest offensive outburst in Celtics History is Birds 60 in response to Mchales 56 the week before........want to take a wild guess how many shots bird took to get his 60??? 36!!! he was 22 for 36, should we asterisk that especially since Kevin only took 28 shots?

Jordan's historical 63 against us in the playoffs came on 41 shots. I would venture to guess that 90% of all 50+ games come with the player taking more than 30 field goal attempts.

I am no Kyrie fan but my suggestion would be Stop being a hater, any player who is over 1.4 pps or 60% true shooting is extremely efficient. The kid stepped up in the absence of the King, was super efficient and got the W....what exactly would make his achievements that night impressive to you?

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:42:16 AM »

Offline jambr380

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 1755
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
Yeah, and only 10 free throws, too. Throw in the 11-19 on threes and you have a pretty fantastic night...too bad CLE didn't bite on the Rondo for Irving opportunity.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 11:45:24 AM »

Offline Vermont Green

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 858
Klay Thompson got his 52 pts on just 25 shots (including 11-15 from 3).  That is just other-worldly.

I don't necessarily see a problem with Irving taking 36 shots.  I did not see the game so I don't know how he got the shots but I am assuming they were largely good shots (he was 11-19 from 3) and in the flow of the game.  Just like with Rondo, sometimes 15 or 18 assists was good basketball and sometimes it was stat padding, scoring 55 could be either as well.

Since they won against a good team, in a close game, you have to give Irving the benefit of the doubt.

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2015, 02:30:18 PM »

Offline Depalma2002

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 17

^ This

Scoring 30 points on 36 shots = ball hoggy

Scoring 55 points on 36 shots = putting the team on your shoulders.

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2015, 03:41:25 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623

^ This

Scoring 30 points on 36 shots = ball hoggy

Scoring 55 points on 36 shots = putting the team on your shoulders.

Bird's historic game was 60 points on 36, so not far off...gotta shoot to score...by the way I came across this when looking that up...I have been following bird since 86 and totally did not remember this...

The Left-Handed Game

We've seen players take free throws with their eyes closed, centers orchestrate fast breaks, and plenty of other attempts at showing off how truly talented players are. None of them, however, come close to touching Larry Bird's famed Left-Handed Game.

Having won 14 of 15 games heading into Portland on Feb. 14, 1986, legend has it that Bird became a bit bored with making those wins look so easy. So what did he do? He played left-handed. That's correct; the right-handed forward chose to shoot the ball left-handed throughout the contest, mostly with shots anywhere around the paint. However, only astute onlookers would have realized this in the midst of the game. Why, you might ask? Well, because Bird still managed to pour in 47 points, sent the game to overtime and then drilled the game-winner in OT. Not bad.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2015, 03:54:11 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Having won 14 of 15 games heading into Portland on Feb. 14, 1986, legend has it that Bird became a bit bored with making those wins look so easy. So what did he do? He played left-handed. That's correct; the right-handed forward chose to shoot the ball left-handed throughout the contest, mostly with shots anywhere around the paint. However, only astute onlookers would have realized this in the midst of the game. Why, you might ask? Well, because Bird still managed to pour in 47 points, sent the game to overtime and then drilled the game-winner in OT. Not bad.
I've seen some footage of that game. He still took a good amount of shots right-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 03:59:25 PM by kozlodoev »
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #12 on: February 02, 2015, 04:00:49 PM »

Offline Timdawgg

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 623
I've seen some footage of that game. He still took a good amount of shots right-handed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R76nMD8buR8

I guess so. Thanks for sharing that.
A winner is someone who recognizes his God-given talents, works his tail off to develop them into skills, and uses these skills to accomplish his goals.

Push yourself again and again. Don't give an inch until the final buzzer sounds.

Larry Bird

« Reply #13 on: February 02, 2015, 04:37:56 PM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1532
And Wilt had 63 attempts in his 100 point game (he made 36) and was a remarkable (for him especially) 28 of 32 from the line.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip