Author Topic: OK, how does Ainge....  (Read 7262 times)

Re: OK, how does Ainge....
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2015, 07:36:11 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
I'm watching Atlanta looking to win 20 in a row, with no super star on the team.

I read that all the time and think it's complete hogwash.

Al Horford is the 2nd best U30 big man in the league after Anthony Davis, in my opinion.

How about Aldridge, Cousins, Love, Griffin, Ibaka?

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:35 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Ainge will get more assets this year... i think he hopes he will get 2 good players from the draft...(moving up the clippers pick) he will try to get a good young free agent..monroe jackson harris.. and with the 4 2016 picks  he will try to be creative.. i mean he could have towns dakari johnson r. Jackson next year added to smart young bradley crowder sullinger olynyc and zeller...i think we must expect small steps every year

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2015, 03:13:49 AM »

Offline SRaposa33

• Svi Mykhailiuk
  • Tommy Points: 1
I'd take Horford over Ibaka, toss up-ish with Love. Not Griffin, LA, or Cousins.

I agree Durant is a pipe dream, but it's fun to dream. Really thought he was gonna be here back that year he got drafted. Stupid lottery. Would be a cool "imaginary reunion".

Beyond him and other "star" signings, I do get a bit disappointed that the bar gets set so low, as in Reggie Jackson. He's a nice player, but it's just conjecture, so why not make noise about someone like Jimmy Butler, or Kahwi Leonard? Unlikely still, like with Durant, but not completely impossible. Draymond Green, Paul Millsap, Rudy Gay... I don't think Jackson changes the long-term trajectory of this team. Gotta think bigger in my opinion.

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2015, 05:03:02 AM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 597

Superstars = championships.

Or MVP and/or DPOY type players. Among our guys, Smart is the only one to have that potential.

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2015, 06:19:09 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i dont see the C's getting durant this summer

why would he want to join a rebuilding team with a lot less talent than other teams

also if we signed reggie jackson, there are rumors that durant does not like jackson's selfish play

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2015, 08:06:22 AM »

Online SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951

why would he want to join a rebuilding team with a lot less talent than other teams

also if we signed reggie jackson, there are rumors that durant does not like jackson's selfish play

Jackson may not be a fit for DA and CBS .......I like his game......but it might not work with some of the other guys. 

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2015, 09:10:13 AM »

Offline More Banners

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 257
my guess is that it's really going to be about cap space, mostly.  I don't really see teams trading away uberstars as often as in years past under the new CBA because 1) it's still near-impossible to get uberstars in the first place, and 2) shorter contracts mean teams aren't stuck in cap hell for as long as they used to be, so expirings aren't as valuable, and 3) with the cap supposedly going up, teams won't be as gunshy about having contracts on the books.

My guess is most franchises will be able to avoid the repeater tax without too much trouble, especially if they aren't on the cusp of a dynasty or anything.

SO...the C's are just as likely to let a contract expire as to trade it at this point, barring what would quite frankly be a miracle.

Prince and Bass are great vets to have on the roster for sure, so long as there is a younger version ahead of them.  They can close out games in the league.  I suppose Evans and Sully are the two youngsters ahead of them.  One of those starting Forwards really needs to be an allstar, and neither is at that level.  Olynyk...will never be a good defender...

I suppose that leaves Young as the great hope at SF?

An allstar at the guard spot would be nice, and so let's hope Smart develops into that guy by year 3.  Let's see him start a season first...

Not the case for Thornton; I don't see him having value even as an expiring.  Possible buyout, but I'm looking forward to post-deadline so he doesn't have to play any more.  Let's consider him "cap space waiting to happen."

I think we're still in the spot of having enough vets that bringing in one star could give us a puncher's chance of having a lineup that could execute, but really...not much chance of that happening by trade.  It'll take summer free agency, so look for our vets to expire and Danny to chase the big name this summer.

With Bradley, Turner, Prince, Bass, and Zeller, there is a veteran group that a star could make a decent lineup.  Smart playing with an all-veteran group on the second unit is surely to make him look, feel, and develop better.  Even with all the young guys, this suggests to me that Smart is the guy to watch going forward.

Everyone else might be available fairly easily, or allowed to walk, since they're just filling roles.

« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2015, 09:35:31 AM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
The answer is through a long and intricate series of trade ideas posted online.  Once someone hits the exact right sequence it will inevitably happen.  I just hope we're up to the task...

It is certain to happen. A million CBers typing trade ideas on a million computers...

« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2015, 10:37:33 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289

I would not put stock into that rumor because Westbrook and Jackson play very much a like. Jackson is asked to be their Jamal Crawford, to score when Westbrook and Durant sit. As JC does when Griffin and Paul do. Sure rumors have more to do with Jackson wanting a starting role at PG and Westbrook not wanting to move to SG, not Jackson's play on the court. Is that selfish of Jackson or Westbrook? I'd think putting your best five on the court is best. I am not huge on Jackson but he plays tough and I'd want that on my team. And of course this current team is not going to get Durant. OP asked about moves to make to perhaps change that.