Author Topic: OK, how does Ainge....  (Read 7280 times)

OK, how does Ainge....
« on: January 31, 2015, 08:56:58 AM »

Offline TheOneTrueRobb

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 14
....turn 9 dozen draft picks and a number of tradeable assets into Kevin Durant this Summer?

Discuss...
-------
------
-----
----
---

Re: OK, how does Ainge....
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 09:14:00 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I don't see it happening, dream on.

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 10:38:24 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
That would be nice.

But lets keep in mind that ATL is winning with hustle and team play, while OKC - with Durant and Westbrook - might miss the playoffs.

So, yeah, that would be great, but we can also win without him.

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 10:55:10 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
That would be nice.

But lets keep in mind that ATL is winning with hustle and team play, while OKC - with Durant and Westbrook - might miss the playoffs.

The above is how you should feel, you shouldn't be thinking about your next shirt with a number on the back. I'm watching Atlanta looking to win 20 in a row, with no super star on the team. 

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 11:06:21 AM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
That would be nice.

The above is how you should feel, you shouldn't be thinking about your next shirt with a number on the back. I'm watching Atlanta looking to win 20 in a row, with no super star on the team.

well, at least the celtics have the second half of that statement accomplished.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 12:07:10 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
That would be nice.

OKC might miss the playoffs because Durant has missed 25/46 of their games so far and Westbrook has missed another 14. Unfortunately a lot of those games coincided with one another and the Thunder turned in to a lottery team. No surprises there. They lost two top-10 NBA players not to mention 43% of their 2014-15 salary. Take Lebron and Kyrie off the Cavs. Or Klay and Curry off the Warriors...or Harden and Howard off the Rockets.

OKC has been to three Conference Finals games and one NBA Finals in the 7 years they've been in OKC. Contrast that with the Hawks who haven't been to the conference finals since the merger...

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 01:07:05 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
You may need a top 10 and 20 player to really force Durant to consider the team. I'd try for more of a balanced team by looking at a top 10 guy and two 30ish players as I think Smart could be a 30ish after another season or two.

1. At draft or I  believe more likely at this trade deadline try trade of Sully, Turner, AB, Mavs 1st, Cavs 1st, and 2016 Cs 1st, for Cousins(top 10 player at times). 

We probably lose out on lotto and make playoffs if we do at deadline but Kings can tank to get Towns or Turner or whatever they trying for. Seems Cousins Era is done there.

2. The Draft. Assuming Cs have Cousins and make playoffs in bad East. Grab a solid athletic PF player say Cliff Alexander, Harrell or Portis with the Cs middle round pick. Clippers pick draft another decent big for depth (and Zeller insurance) in D.Johnson or Upshaw. With Philly pick take a backup SF like Jake Layman or one of the two decent SF Euros in the draft.

3. Sign Reggie Jackson(top 20 guy on a given night) also maybe inside line to recruiting KD.

Jackson, Smart, Young, KO, Cousins
Pressey, Dawkins, Layman, Wallace, Cliff, Zeller, D.Johnson

Jackson, Smart, Durant, KO, Cousins
Dawkins, Young, Layman, Cliff, Johnson, Zeller*

Smart, Young and Jackson's flexibility allow for some great rotations with Durant. Plenty of big man options to compete with any front court in the NBA.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 01:12:22 PM by Csfan1984 »

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 01:30:23 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
The answer is through a long and intricate series of trade ideas posted online.  Once someone hits the exact right sequence it will inevitably happen.  I just hope we're up to the task...

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 01:30:38 PM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

I like RJackson.  I think he might be a realistic target.  Who knows, maybe he can turn into the next Jeff Teague.  Pair him with MSmart and we might have a dynamite backcourt.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 01:49:44 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
The answer is through a long and intricate series of trade ideas posted online.  Once someone hits the exact right sequence it will inevitably happen.  I just hope we're up to the task...

It is certain to happen. A million CBers typing trade ideas on a million computers...

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 03:48:13 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
That would be nice.

The East hasn't been this easy since the Nets went to the finals in 2002 and 2003.
The Hawks are a great team but they are probably not a championship caliber team.
If they were to win, they'd arguably be the poorest team to come out of the East in the the last 12 years, although the Magic give them a serious run for their money in 2009- they'd certainly be the poorest championship team in the last 25 years.

Not sure if you heard Ainge on CSNNE radio a few weeks ago when they asked him if the Hawks were an inspiration for teams trying to build a team without superstars available. He said that the Hawks were a great example of coaching and talent development but said he didn't think they were a championship caliber team.
Chicago and Cleveland should beat ATL quite comfortably in a 7 game series with the right coach and line up etc...

Anyway, my point is that the East won't be this easy for long-and by the time we are ready to contend (without a current superstar like Lebron, Durant or Love etc..) then it should be, back to at least normal standards.

Superstars = championships.

It's a simple formula that has never failed in the modern NBA.
One or two superstars from the West vs one or two superstars from the East and some excellent role players and coaching. And a bit of luck.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 03:58:17 PM by chambers »
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 04:23:42 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
there is nothing left to move.
Danny traded everyone and is left with nothing
but college prospects.
he failed.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 04:27:44 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I think signing Reggie Jackson would be a nice first step.

My question with Reggie is, is he a 1 or a 2, if he's a PG having a bull dog like Smart as the 2 will be an asset for him. Jackson is what 6-3 he looks like a decent defender, having a Smart next to him will be a positive. We'd have a decent back court, Jackson, Smart, AB, and Turner.

IMO drafting the best center available out of college would be a nice next step. Even if he plays a backup roll to a free agent center signing.

This team needs interior defense, rim protection in the worst way. We are allowing backup centers to have career games on a regular basis.

And last...develop Young, and maybe draft another wing player.

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 04:28:54 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
How?

Smart develops into an all-star , C's get a top 5 pick this year , Brooklyn 2016 pick turns into a top 5-10 pick , C's can sign some good free agents (Butler or Leonard, Monroe  types )

OKC fails to reach the finals the next 2 years

Then trade our young talent and more picks for Durant  ;D

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 05:02:52 PM »

Offline Casperian

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 545
I'm watching Atlanta looking to win 20 in a row, with no super star on the team.

I read that all the time and think it's complete hogwash.

Al Horford is the 2nd best U30 big man in the league after Anthony Davis, in my opinion.
In the summer of 2017, I predicted this team would not win a championship for the next 10 years.

3 down, 7 to go.