Author Topic: The Bone Zone  (Read 7056 times)

The Bone Zone
« on: January 31, 2015, 12:52:55 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Okay, I was watching some clips from nba tv on youtube this week when an ad for this show popped up.  Look, I know that Brent Barry's nickname is 'bones,' but could we please stop with the sexist titles of tv shows, never mind their content?  Is there not another way to convey such a nickname, and if there isn't, could they please just do away with the title entirely?  Has anyone actually seen this 'program,' anyway?  I've never felt that Barry has once contributed anything as an analyst, which is quite surprising when you consider the great announcer that is his father (sarcasm), not to mention his brother.  I wasn't trying to be inappropriate with the title of this thread, btw.  It just goes to show that you really can't make this stuff up, lol. ;D  Ugh.

Re: The Bone Zone
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 12:55:37 AM »

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25636
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
Television standards are going further and further into the gutter.  Either they're intentionally making a sexual reference in a show featuring Brent Barry (shudder), or they're clueless about the double meaning.

Either way, it's stupid.

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2015, 01:18:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Oh good, then it's not just me.  If you think that's bad, the 'history channel' now has a reality show about killing deer called 'chasing tail.' :o  Yeah, I don't even know what to say anymore, both for that network or television in general.  Strip club references have even made it onto the air.  Remember Steph Curry's 54 point game against the Knicks in New York?  Well, listen to what this espn announcer (shocking, I know (sarcasm)) says at the 3:48 mark of this clip.  I'm sorry, but Curry's not making it rain - we're not at the strip club.  You could have said that he was 'raining down threes,' but come on.  That's beyond ridiculous.  And to top it all off, the broadcast partner of that dude was Doris Burke. :o  WOW!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O70rVNKIUGE

« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2015, 01:56:00 AM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
How is "The Bone Zone" sexist exactly?  Crude, or suggestive or whatever, sure.

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2015, 03:27:21 AM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Oh good, then it's not just me.  If you think that's bad, the 'history channel' now has a reality show about killing deer called 'chasing tail.' :o  Yeah, I don't even know what to say anymore, both for that network or television in general.  Strip club references have even made it onto the air.  Remember Steph Curry's 54 point game against the Knicks in New York?  Well, listen to what this espn announcer (shocking, I know (sarcasm)) says at the 3:48 mark of this clip.  I'm sorry, but Curry's not making it rain - we're not at the strip club.  You could have said that he was 'raining down threes,' but come on.  That's beyond ridiculous.  And to top it all off, the broadcast partner of that dude was Doris Burke. :o  WOW!

If I had to guess they weren't going for any innuendo here.  High arcing jumpers have been called rainmakers for decades, and the shot he hit there certainly qualifies.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 05:59:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Not related to basketball .....but my comment as related to OP thread , and I thank him for bringing it up .....TV programming is now aimed at low class America

Low class TV , about low class America ......why promote this ...channels I use watch for educational value , now all I see is redneck s , pickup truck , fat people and stupid topics.

America now embraces  redneck everything,  being fat and stupid ,  being 16 and PG ,  raise your kids fat and trash., with a million tattoos , unclean habits .....

I see enough disgusting people at Walmart , without having to see them on every show and channel......Honey boo Bear,  redneck Trucking , on and on .....show with same in bred looking people.....by the tons with nasty dirty habits .

Not appealing to me.

I'm sorry other countries have to see the USA in this light.

Pretty much everything low class is. Raised to higher level , as if it is something to strive for ..?and shown on TV as normal  ::)

People love nasty , cheap ,worthless crap today .

« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 06:08:31 AM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:33:14 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
How is "The Bone Zone" sexist exactly?  Crude, or suggestive or whatever, sure.

I think it's more than just crude or suggestive, quite honestly, because it sounds like the title of a p0rn film, lol. ;D  To me, it just gives off a rather sexist and misogynistic attitude, but then again, I'm talking about the title as opposed to the content of the show, which is what you're doing, as well, right?  Just making sure.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 09:37:32 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

If I had to guess they weren't going for any innuendo here.  High arcing jumpers have been called rainmakers for decades, and the shot he hit there certainly qualifies.

I understand that, but it just sounds like the announcer is referencing strip clubs, etc., by saying that Curry was 'making it rain.'  Ugh.  Like I said, I don't have any problem with someone saying that a guy is 'raining threes' or whatever, but the syntax that this announcer used is just ridiculous to me.

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 09:40:01 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't see, at all, how the announcer is saying something sexist in this clip by saying that Steph Curry is making it rain. He's a rain maker, he's raining threes, I feel like I'ver heard this before. I honestly dont get the strip club reference you are making. I assume it has something to do with throwing dollar bills at a stipper, and calling that "making it rain", but I assure you that is a phrase which existed many years before it got used as a reference to something that happens in a strip club. But, maybe I'm just old...

EDIT. I will add that "chasing tail" seems to be purposely playing up a double entendre.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2015, 09:47:27 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
Not related to basketball .....but my comment as related to OP thread , and I thank him for bringing it up .....TV programming is now aimed at low class America

Low class TV , about low class America ......why promote this ...channels I use watch for educational value , now all I see is redneck s , pickup truck , fat people and stupid topics.

America now embraces  redneck everything,  being fat and stupid ,  being 16 and PG ,  raise your kids fat and trash., with a million tattoos , unclean habits .....

I see enough disgusting people at Walmart , without having to see them on every show and channel......Honey boo Bear,  redneck Trucking , on and on .....show with same in bred looking people.....by the tons with nasty dirty habits .

Not appealing to me.

Pretty much everything low class is. Raised to higher level , as if it is something to strive for ..?and shown on TV as normal  ::)

You know, I've seen that meme on facebook, and I've got to ask, "what Walmart is everyone else going to," lol, because I never see any of what you've just described.  Plus, the people who post this stuff on facebook tend to be, how should I say this, from the anti-Obama, ultra right-wing, confederacy group, which is strange to me, because they never expressed any of those beliefs when I was with them in school or anything else, but whatever.  People change.  I mean, dos equis?  Really?

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2015, 09:54:20 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji

I appreciate the sentiment, but I don't see, at all, how the announcer is saying something sexist in this clip by saying that Steph Curry is making it rain. He's a rain maker, he's raining threes, I feel like I'ver heard this before. I honestly dont get the strip club reference you are making. I assume it has something to do with throwing dollar bills at a stipper, and calling that "making it rain", but I assure you that is a phrase which existed many years before it got used as a reference to something that happens in a strip club. But, maybe I'm just old...

EDIT. I will add that "chasing tail" seems to be purposely playing up a double entendre.

Many popular 'songs' by today's rappers reference strippers, strip clubs, and 'making it rain.'  Personally, I'd never heard of it as a term, either, before some crap 'tune' from little wayne came along , lol. ;D  I think he said, "aka mr. make it rain on them hoes," from this piece.  I apologize in advance if you decide to listen to it, lol. ;D  Either way, I'm too white for this sh1t, ahaha. ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1ohYsK5Y8Dc

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2015, 09:58:40 PM »

Offline contramundum

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 36

Not appealing to me.

Celts fan from southern Georgia here.

Careful with the redneck stuff, Honey boo boo and all that is trashy even to my "redneck" brothers.

I'm going to tell you about rednecks.  They loved my dad, who was born in Cambridge and was a townie for a while before moving to Somerville and then joining the army.  They used to call him "Yankeeneck" or "The New England Redneck" because he could catch a largemouth bass out of a puddle, man could fish his tail off.  He retired here in Georgia because he hated snow.  Anyway I have a healthy respect for good southern people.  They work hard and they don't like the stereotypes reality tv give em.  My dad loved southerners too.

The term "Redneck" was given to them by white plantation owners - rednecks were white folks who couldn't afford slaves and had to work their own fields.  They got sunburnt, thus the name, redneck.  So lets not insult rednecks by equating them with the likes of Honey Boo Boo, kay?

Anyway, sort of off topic, but culture has become degenerate in general on all sides, not just in the "redneck" world.  In black culture they have "ghetto" and I'm sure other countries have their own degenerate subcultures.  All you can really do is not fall into the trap yourself and make your be a upstanding, good influence on your kids and other youth. 

You're right, people love filth these days and it makes me sad.

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2015, 10:14:36 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Television standards are going further and further into the gutter.  Either they're intentionally making a sexual reference in a show featuring Brent Barry (shudder), or they're clueless about the double meaning.

Either way, it's stupid.
That's what really irritates me about things like this

Either they are intentionally doing it, in which case it is idiotic and juvenile

OR they are unaware of what they are doing (unlikely) which, if true, makes you wonder who's in charge
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2015, 10:22:20 PM »

Offline timobusa

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 284
  • Bleed Green, Die Green
He's a way better announcer than his dad or his brother jon barry.

Speaking of Jon Barry, I hate that guy.

and Bone Zone is a cool name. I don't think of anything sexual or suggestive when I hear it.

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2015, 10:48:42 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Mr. Emoji
He's a way better announcer than his dad or his brother jon barry.

Speaking of Jon Barry, I hate that guy.

and Bone Zone is a cool name. I don't think of anything sexual or suggestive when I hear it.

Well, the only reason I do, is because, while finding some of the most ridiculous and raunchy footage as evidence for an article that was never accepted because I suck at writing, lol ;D, I came across this Kesha video where she said that she wanted to take some guy 'to the bone zone.'  Ugh.