Author Topic: what is up with Sullinger? stop shooting the 3  (Read 9677 times)

Re: what is up with Sullinger? stop shooting the 3
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 10:54:46 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Please. Shooting it at what 29 percent for the year?

Does not matter if your wide open, dont do it. Sullinger needs to understand limitations. Bass doesnt take 3s for a reason.

Sully keeps "antoine walkering' it and he needs to go.
Hey 3boy,

You see that Rondo got benched in the fourth again? If this keeps happening we might get Rondo for 8 mil a year.

There is a small chance Rondo gets traded imo. Prob to the lakers for Lin and Clarkson or something like that.

Rondo wont be resigning with the Mavs the way things are going

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 11:07:45 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215

Does not matter if your wide open, dont do it. Sullinger needs to understand limitations. Bass doesnt take 3s for a reason.

Hey 3boy,

You see that Rondo got benched in the fourth again? If this keeps happening we might get Rondo for 8 mil a year.

There is a small chance Rondo gets traded imo. Prob to the lakers for Lin and Clarkson or something like that.

I think teams will just wait til the offseason.

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 11:10:24 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460

Hey 3boy,

I was just thinking the same thing.

God bless Danny Ainge.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 11:26:19 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2661
  • bammokja
maybe, just maybe, CBS looks at sully and sees someone whose limitations can be mitigated by having a outside shot. i did notice lately that in games sully fakes a 3 pointer, then barrels towards the basket when the defense plays up on him.

if the defense does not respect his outside shooting, they simply sag off him, making such charges to the basket more difficult.

so, since wins take a back seat to development these days, CBS gives sully the green light and wants him to get better at 3 pointers. this is only my guess by the way.

and, it is worth noting that sully's three point percentages have gone up each of his three seasons.his shooting increased 20% to 27% to 30%. not good, but clearly improving.

what if in one to two years sully make 36% or more of his three point shots. this would make him a far more valuable player on offense.

and if he does not improve over of 30%, so what? an additional loss here or there means nothing during a rebuilt.

yes, sully is currently not a good three point shooter. but he has improved and he might be credible in a year or so. for me, it seems a reasonble gamble to let him try to develop that shot.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 11:32:32 PM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
maybe, just maybe, CBS looks at sully and sees someone whose limitations can be mitigated by having a outside shot. i did notice lately that in games sully fakes a 3 pointer, then barrels towards the basket when the defense plays up on him.

if the defense does not respect his outside shooting, they simply sag off him, making such charges to the basket more difficult.

so, since wins take a back seat to development these days, CBS gives sully the green light and wants him to get better at 3 pointers. this is only my guess by the way.

and, it is worth noting that sully's three point percentages have gone up each of his three seasons.his shooting increased 20% to 27% to 30%. not good, but clearly improving.

what if in one to two years sully make 36% or more of his three point shots. this would make him a far more valuable player on offense.

and if he does not improve over of 30%, so what? an additional loss here or there means nothing during a rebuilt.

yes, sully is currently not a good three point shooter. but he has improved and he might be credible in a year or so. for me, it seems a reasonble gamble to let him try to develop that shot.

Yeah but not during crunch time.

He is either lazy or soft. He has the size to bulldoze his way to the basket, mow down some players , finish at the basket or get a foul call or shoot the ball on the way to the basket. You dont always need to finish under the basket

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 11:52:51 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Sully killing the team with hero ball threes   ........stop !

Sully needs to be under the basket rebounding AB 's bricks

Sully is a great rebounder.   Why is he not parked under the basket when our shooter are launching threes .....he is great a put backs

.........especially when we are trying to win on the last play .... ::)

Holy cow Stevens ...you got one of the best young rebounders in the league ......and you have him mile away from the rim ........and worse shooting a shot he should not be taking......

Wow .....do you know squat about basketball .......just stupid judgement

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 12:02:10 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
We need huge signs up at the next home game in huge letters

No Sully Three's.

Thanks !

« Reply #22 on: January 31, 2015, 12:21:27 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
I guess you can call it Rocket science when you're playing Houston!!!  but all kidding aside, Boston blew a ton of open shots in the first quarter plus Howard is out and you have Sully chucking up threes from outside??? if ever this was a game JS should have been playing inside, this was the one. badly coached game at best!!!  and I guess because of DH's absence there was no reason to defend Donatas Motiejunas (26+12).  poorly played game, should have been ours!!!

« Reply #23 on: January 31, 2015, 02:46:56 AM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315

I agree with the Bass assessment. I am sure if he tried, Bass could shoot at least 29% from three.

As for Walker, at least he could run an offense and will a team to victory while launching all those threes.

Sullinger Celtic career regular season 3Pt% = 0.282
No Sully playoff data.....

Antoine Walker Celtic career regular season 3PT% = 0.333
Antoine Walker Celtic career playoff 3PT% = 0.376

Paul Pierce Celtic career regular season 3PT% = 0.370
Paul Pierce Celtic career playoff 3PT% = 0.339

Avery Bradley C's Reg Season = 0.363
His C's Playoff = 0.233

Jeff Green's C's Reg S = 0343
His C's playoff = 0.447

Kelly O = 0.352
Marcus Smart = 0.380

Right now, early in Sully's career, he is worse at the 3pt shot than Antoine was.

The data shows when crunch time / playoff time arrives, Antoine's 3 point shooting as a Celtic is elevated, same goes for Jeff Green the Celtic.

Young players should keep working on his game, to improve technique, repetition, until almost second nature. Young players should never learn to give up.

So far this season, 5 of best teams in the NBA are in the top 6 spots for teams' 3PT FG%.

For the C's future, with improvments in Sully, Avery, Smart, Oly, I feel really comfortable with our long ball shooting. But our guys need to keep practicing. I don't know much about James Young, but he might also be in the mix too.

This season we are one of the 6 worst teams at defending the 3 PT make, but we are one of the top 5 teams in the league at not allowing a lot of 3PT attempts!!!

As a team (ranked 6th in the league) we are not allowing a lot of successful made dunks (maybe our opponents can not dunk very well) or layups (slightly above league average)

So if we are not allowing a lot of 3's, dunks, layups or FTs, then where are the opponents cashing in? Answer = midrange game, not the long 2 either....the "FT line and in" type 2 pointer.

We actually don't take a lot of 3's despite our 2 bigs taking some.....but we RARELY get to the line, so it appears that our opponents are getting to the line way more than us (or it appears the refs have it in for us).......the date is showing that we need to defend the 3 pt makes, particularly the corner 3.

We don't have a problem with opponents taking too many 3s against us, they don't need to, not when they can take a 10 footer or some kind of 2 pointer in the paint which doesn't necessarily needs to be a dunk or a layup.

I don't think we ultimately need a shot blocker, we need postup defenders, on the ball defenders, defenders against slashers, defenders against the midrange area. 

« Reply #24 on: January 31, 2015, 05:25:55 AM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
He was wide open, let him shoot it.
He's won games for us with his 3 point shooting.

And also, we are tanking having Bass out there over Zeller.
Teams continue to destroy us in the pick and roll.
Unfortunately we ran into Portland and Denver without their best pick and roll players so Bass wasn't exposed but he's out there with prince to scrape a 2nd rounder or two by Feb 19th.

Just garbage P n R defense.
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #25 on: January 31, 2015, 06:25:08 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
Ok ....Sully could shoot the C's into a high lottery pick .....bombing from long range ......that is one tanking strategy

« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2015, 06:29:07 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith

Hey 3boy,

I agree, Dirk is nearly cooked , maybe one more year .....so yeah .....why sign with a team that has no star ,  only Ellis and role players. ...for five years.......if you take Dirk away.....Mavs aren't much better than Celtics .

No Dirk ...and they are starting over .

« Reply #27 on: January 31, 2015, 07:21:46 AM »

Offline dwoumn

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 8
There's 2 issues with Sully's 3 point shooting is Sully's skill set and CBS's offensive scheme. Let me say 1st off, with this roster the C's are definitely tank mode even though they will fight till the last buzzer. With that being said, CBS has the C's running a similar offensive scheme as the Spurs. Looking at Sully, he plays the same role as Boris Diaw but doesn't have the same skill set as Diaw. This season Sully has improved his 3 point percentage and has started to drive more to the hoop. To fulfil that similar role that Diaw has with the Spurs, Sully has to become a better playmaker when he beats his man off the dribble and help comes. I would also like to see Sully in the paint posting up, a little more.

I think the worst thing about CBS offensive scheme, is that there is not a go to guy through out the game. It's been worst when the game is winding down but when the C's need a basket through the game they do not have that player. I truly believe that could be Sully in the post. Going back to the Spurs, depending on their lineup, Tim Duncan is their focal point when they need a basket in the paint, Parker or Ginobili driving to the rim. The C's aren't making the playoffs, so they should work on different scenarios in which Bradley, Sully, Smart and other young guys get a chance to be the focal player.

« Reply #28 on: January 31, 2015, 08:49:03 AM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
I said this a week ago or so, Sully is the new Toine with less skills. He could be a bull down low but he is down there less and less. In his rookie year he was an offensive rebounding machine, now that he plays 30' from the hoop I'm sure those numbers are plummeting.

I'm to lazy (feel like Sully lol) someone want to look up his offensive rebounding stats for the past 3 years?

« Reply #29 on: January 31, 2015, 08:55:55 AM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I said this a week ago or so, Sully is the new Toine with less skills. He could be a bull down low but he is down there less and less. In his rookie year he was an offensive rebounding machine, now that he plays 30' from the hoop I'm sure those numbers are plummeting.

I'm to lazy (feel like Sully lol) someone want to look up his offensive rebounding stats for the past 3 years?
If he could get in better shape, he would have a pretty good face up game. He has a nice touch, he's a good passer and can handle the ball. I think he'll end up being a much better face up player then a post player.

I also think the badly missed threes are from fatigue. He just looks out of shape. Even more so after that road trip. Right now, he's just a big waste of talent.