Author Topic: what is up with Sullinger? stop shooting the 3  (Read 9689 times)

Re: what is up with Sullinger? stop shooting the 3
« Reply #30 on: January 31, 2015, 09:03:05 AM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
This season Sully has improved his 3 point percentage and has started to drive more to the hoop.

His shooting percentage is almost within 2 percentage points of last year's abysmal 28% now.  Earlier in the year, it looked like it had improved but over time, his shot is almost the same as last year from downtown.

he plays the same role as Boris Diaw but doesn't have the same skill set as Diaw

Agree, Diaw, plays defense too, and is generally not the focal point of the other team's offense.

To fulfil that similar role that Diaw has with the Spurs, Sully has to become a better playmaker when he beats his man off the dribble and help comes

He isn't a bad passer but I would not hold my breath about him beating people off the dribble.   Sully is slow.  Very slow, other teams often let him shoot, and play off of him because him taking shots is good for the other team.

It's been worst when the game is winding down but when the C's need a basket through the game they do not have that player. I truly believe that could be Sully in the post.

Clutch Statistics indicate otherwise.

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS15.HTM

He is so bad at defense that he is liability on offense.   In close shots, not in the clutch almost 1 out of 10 of his close shots get blocked and 8% of inside shots overall get blocked.    Hence, only takes them 1/3 of the time.    I think this goes back to lack of athletic ability to some degree and being  6'7" and some change without shoes.   

I think we 'd be best served to get him inside, and let him rebound, which he does well.  Let some other guy shoot so we have a second change opportunity here and there.

CBS schemes, I think could work with the right personnel but right now we do not have the shooters to make it work.  At Butler he has three players who could all shoot and spread the floor Mack, Howard and, Hayward.  We kind of lack shooters or the ones we have are streaky in nature.  Butler played smart team basketball and team defense, they had decent athletes across the board, but not great ones.   We have too many poor athletes.   I would think that CBS is a bright enough guy to change his schemes to his talent.   However, I am in the camp that thinks we lack talent and need to add it.

He was wide open, let him shoot it.
He's won games for us with his 3 point shooting.

He has lost far more for us trying to play the hero more than he has won.  He was 2 for 10 or worse in the second half, one would think he would realize that and maybe let someone else shoot them and get inside and do something he does passably well like rebound.   But no, he shot us into oblivion.

That doesn't even count for his horrible defense, that is a complete liability and career night almost every night for opposing bigs.  He loses a lot of games every time he steps on the floor.

And also, we are tanking having Bass out there over Zeller.
Teams continue to destroy us in the pick and roll.

I think that we  have won recently, a higher percentage of games, without  Zeller in the starting lineup.

What one really has to wonder is why Bass who was doing superb in this game was not in there at the end?    Why Slug boy was in there?   The answer has to be in the tank.

Sully could shoot the C's into a high lottery pick .....bombing from long range ......that is one tanking strategy

Hopefully, it is a new PF or C and he is gone, your never going to be able to base a team around a guy like this bloke.  I'd package him with a pick and move him.   His conditioning and weight look worse as the season goes on.   But I doubt we could give him away.

It's rather moot, add Dwight and I think they would have won by 15 points or more as he would have had a career night against Sully.

« Reply #31 on: January 31, 2015, 09:53:20 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
I said this a week ago or so, Sully is the new Toine with less skills. He could be a bull down low but he is down there less and less. In his rookie year he was an offensive rebounding machine, now that he plays 30' from the hoop I'm sure those numbers are plummeting.

I'm to lazy (feel like Sully lol) someone want to look up his offensive rebounding stats for the past 3 years?
If he could get in better shape, he would have a pretty good face up game. He has a nice touch, he's a good passer and can handle the ball. I think he'll end up being a much better face up player then a post player.

I also think the badly missed threes are from fatigue. He just looks out of shape. Even more so after that road trip. Right now, he's just a big waste of talent.
He does look winded. His percentage I saw is less later in games. I know he said he dedicated himself to get in better shape. Hopefully he will hook up with Jerry Rice and Train this off season.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #32 on: January 31, 2015, 10:14:05 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
There are good 3's and bad 3's.
When you take a 3  15-16 seconds into the possession, that's a bad 3.
The 3's last night were bad. 

Sully should start a possession inside out, not outside and maybe inside. That would entail running the floor hard off opposing teams misses.

« Reply #33 on: January 31, 2015, 10:26:34 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146
I have horrific memories of AW(Antoine Walker) 3pt shooting eternal green light.  Even lead the league in 3pt attempts at least once (and this is when Reggie Miller and Ray Allen were at there best and launching 3s over and over). 

Every time I see Sully lunching a 3, brings back AW memories.  ::)

« Reply #34 on: January 31, 2015, 10:34:10 AM »

Offline hagar55voa

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 12
Sullinger reminds me alot of Kyrie Irving...In the fourth quarter, both of these guys play hero ball to the max...

« Reply #35 on: January 31, 2015, 10:36:23 AM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup
I have horrific memories of AW(Antoine Walker) 3pt shooting eternal green light.  Even lead the league in 3pt attempts at least once (and this is when Reggie Miller and Ray Allen were at there best and launching 3s over and over). 

Before he can be compared to Toine he'd need to work on the essentials a bit:
Yup

« Reply #36 on: January 31, 2015, 10:38:54 AM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I said this a week ago or so, Sully is the new Toine with less skills. He could be a bull down low but he is down there less and less. In his rookie year he was an offensive rebounding machine, now that he plays 30' from the hoop I'm sure those numbers are plummeting.

I'm to lazy (feel like Sully lol) someone want to look up his offensive rebounding stats for the past 3 years?
If he could get in better shape, he would have a pretty good face up game. He has a nice touch, he's a good passer and can handle the ball. I think he'll end up being a much better face up player then a post player.

I also think the badly missed threes are from fatigue. He just looks out of shape. Even more so after that road trip. Right now, he's just a big waste of talent.

I think your last sentence is a bit of an exaggeration, but the rest of your sentiment is pretty accurate.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 10:45:29 AM by TheFlex »

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #37 on: January 31, 2015, 10:46:22 AM »

Offline coco

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 146

We need more Kevin McHale than AW on Sully's game.

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2015, 12:20:54 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3766
  • Yup

We need more Kevin McHale than AW on Sully's game.

Although he started to enjoy the 3 a bit too towards the end of his career, it was definitely never a part of his game.  Then again by today's standards Bird would be an infrequent 3 shooter.  If Sully becomes 1/10 the low post player that McHale was we'd be fortunate.  McHale was one of a kind.
Yup

« Reply #39 on: February 01, 2015, 01:03:46 PM »

Offline LB3533

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 315
Dude was late to shoot around.....not good for a young learner.

« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2015, 07:39:36 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
Very nice game by Sully yesterday. I was scared he was going to shoot the three on that late possession but instead drove to the basket for the bucket.  Finally

« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2015, 10:29:55 AM »

Offline ViolentGhandi

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 22
yeah for a change he didnt take the 3 -> we won the game against the hawks

I was really marveled about how he was resisting the urge to put up one of his desperation 3s with only 1:20 left to play - instead he did the right thing taking the ball to the rim

so not everything is lost with Sully

« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2015, 11:33:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
yeah for a change he didnt take the 3 -> we won the game against the hawks

I was really marveled about how he was resisting the urge to put up one of his desperation 3s with only 1:20 left to play - instead he did the right thing taking the ball to the rim

so not everything is lost with Sully

Yeah i think so. I like it how sully can handle the ball with his right or left hand also. Floater looked good. Soft touch

« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2015, 12:12:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
It is not a strength of his, it is not something he shows great capacity to do as well.   If he wants to get better shoot 500 a day each day of the offseason.   However, that should only be the tip of the iceberg, he needs to lose weight, add strength and get toned and conditioned.  If all he does is shoot threes this summer, we will be in a bad way.

« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2015, 12:31:47 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Sully got monster game .....when plays with in 12 feet of the rim. 

Celtics give up too many second chance rebounds and points with him standing outside the three ....

Just don 't like him shooting three ......waste of what he really does well.

KO......is more of a true three point big .   I can see develop his game out there .....it fits his style of small man ball