Author Topic: Bass and Turner for Lance Stephenson and Hornets #1 (top 10 protected)  (Read 3039 times)

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
http://basketball.realgm.com/tradechecker/saved_trade/6561891

Charlotte really seems to WANT to make the playoffs.  Fine, we can help them do that!!  They NEED PG help until and IF Kemba comes back THIS year.  Turner can help with that a little and Bass is a true seasoned pro to mentor Zeller at PF.

I do this for the first rounder!!  Granted this is top 10 protected, but I feel that this pick with likely be at worst 15th or 16th and is unlikely to be in the top 10 this year.  Next year we could make it top 8 protected.

We also save 2.3 million this year, but do have to take on Lance's $9 million for next year, which is really inconsequential overall and he actually might find his game again under Brad Stevens!!

Thoughts??

Smitty77

Re: Bass and Turner for Lance Stephenson and Hornets #1 (top 10 protected)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:06:00 PM »

Offline GranTur

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 68
  • Anti-NBA Hipster
Lance is not the kind of player you introduce to a team in transition.

Also, I want Bass. He's valuable during and after rebuilding. Great contributor and teammate. He's worth more to us than his trade value.
"It's not how you play the game. It's whether you win or lose--that's my motto." -Larry Bird

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 07:06:51 PM »

Offline St.Steven

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 2
Not sure if this moves the needle enough in terms of boosting playoff chances for Charlotte to pull the trigger. Not too familiar with their guards, but would ET be a big upgrade for them over their backup (and now starter) Brian Roberts? Maybe you're thinking they would just want more depth until Walker comes back?

Lance's playmaking skills could be nice to have for Bos, but don't think we need another guard who can't shoot, especially one who's a well-documented headcase.

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 07:13:23 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I've always been intrigued by a backcourt of Stephenson and Smart, but some on here have justified qualms about his attitude. I say take a chance on it, because his third season is a team option.

That being said, I don't think we can get Stephenson and their 1st for just Bass and Turner. We'd probably just have to switch them the Clips pick for their pick if anything.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 07:28:41 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
No, if we are going to take on a head case, I'd rather have Cousins. A true center and WAY more skilled.

If we wait 5 more months we may be able to draft Johnson, who is the same type of player with out the crazy between the ears...

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:20:09 PM »

Offline Smitty77

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 269
No, if we are going to take on a head case, I'd rather have Cousins. A true center and WAY more skilled.

If we wait 5 more months we may be able to draft Johnson, who is the same type of player with out the crazy between the ears...

Who is Johnson???

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 09:07:49 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419

Cousins is not a headcase.

I would do this trade if Lance was expiring and we just sent him home like Bogans from day one.  I don't want him within 1000 feet of Smart unless they're playing against each other. 

The only benefit this would give us is a draft pick and more tanking, so it's not the worst, but I don't want Stephenson.  He's now on my Rudy Gay / Tyreke Evans / Josh Smith NO THANK YOU All-Star team.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 09:15:03 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40

Who is Johnson???

He means stanley johnson a 6'8 swingman from arizona with great defensive instincts, and without the crazy stephenson antics offensive potential who may declare for the 2015 draft

with that said johnson is playing like a top 3 player so would probably gone with in the top 4 before the celtics pick

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 09:24:32 PM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
I wouldn't expect Charlotte to be remotely interested unless they can completely lottery-protect the pick.  Rumors say that the Hornets have been thinking about D-League assist leader Gary Talton, Ramon Sessions, and Norris Cole as possible targets.

A more reasonable trade is probably renting out cap space to take on someone like Jason Maxiell (although they decided to keep Maxiell before his contract became guaranteed) or Jannero Pargo to free up a roster spot so Charlotte can sign Talton or someone like AJ Price.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 09:31:21 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
I dont like this trade for either charlotte and boston 

why not for boston?

we end up with lance's contract and his bad influence which may be harmful to the development of our young players like smart and young and any other incoming rookie

he also will make the log jam in the backcourt harder for james young to get minutes as a 2 with avery bradley and stephenson 

I agree with GranTur in that he is a good veteran on and off the court
but disagree that he will be a valuable contributor after rebuilding because he most likely will leave through free agency with Olynyk + Sully  probably going to take most of the minutes at the 4 for the C's in the future 

bass will probably want to go to contender  as he is a valuable rotation player for any team in need at the 4 spot or bench depth 

Why not for charlotte
this trade will result in a greater frontcourt depth that they will not really want as they would want to develop their recently drafted lottery players at the 4 spot (zeller and vonleh)

Also it could mean the C's also need to take in another player from their front court  like Marvin Williams who is also on a terrible contract

Also bass is only a mid range shooting + one on one defending 4 while charlotte needs either a stretch 4 like ryan anderson or a rim protecting 4 to help their front court defense

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 10:19:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Really?

Stevenson is a cancer to a team.

He is a locker room jerk .

No way CBS or DA want that type of player on a rebuilding team ....whew

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 10:34:50 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Stephenson is not worth a dime.   His character has taken a huge hit on the chin.