Author Topic: full rebuilding mode...  (Read 3645 times)

Re: full rebuilding mode...
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 05:49:20 PM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1756
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
FA or RFA I would build around

1. Leonard
2. Butler
3. Jordan
4. Green

Pass on all others..

Number 4 is Draymond Green, right (I know that it's not Jeff Green, lol ;D)?  Even if it is, none of those guys are cornerstones/franchise players, imo.  Don't get me wrong, they're very good players, but not on the level of Pierce when he was the only one here, or Paul George, etc.  That's the kind of player that we desperately need to find.  Hopefully we'll get a good pi...oh never mind, lol. ;D

So Leonard (finals MVP) and Butler are not cornerstones, but you wanted to build around Rondo and called him the best PG in the nba. Kindly elaborate.

Yeah, Butler has the makings of a cornerstone player for sure, while Leonard is an extremely capable player in all aspects of the game who can turn it on when it really matters. You have to remember that Leonard has been working his way up from the bottom in a system that requires patience, professionalism, and ball-movement. It is very possible that he could break out in a major way if given a little more leeway.

I agree that it's hard to call Jordan a superstar, but if you put a couple of scorers around him, you have your interior defense and rebounding sewn up for years to come.

There really isn't a lot of risk in any of these guys. While one (or all) of them may prove to be slightly overpaid, they aren't the types I question in terms of effort and ability to produce (ie, I don't see another Villanueva, Gordon Pistons situation).

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 06:27:47 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

1. Leonard
2. Butler
3. Jordan
4. Green

Pass on all others..

Number 4 is Draymond Green, right (I know that it's not Jeff Green, lol ;D)?  Even if it is, none of those guys are cornerstones/franchise players, imo.  Don't get me wrong, they're very good players, but not on the level of Pierce when he was the only one here, or Paul George, etc.  That's the kind of player that we desperately need to find.  Hopefully we'll get a good pi...oh never mind, lol. ;D

So Leonard (finals MVP) and Butler are not cornerstones, but you wanted to build around Rondo and called him the best PG in the nba. Kindly elaborate.

Well, for starters, Rondo makes guys better, which is more than you can say for any of the listed players, and he can dominate a game without ever taking a shot - on both ends.  Do you realize how rare that is?  I'm done with making this argument, btw, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, and that's okay. :)  I mean, at this point, why bother?  He's gone, and there's nothing that I can do about it, so I've moved on, and I wish that more people would do the same. 

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 06:52:44 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
Vonleh makes me real nervous, sometimes when a guy shows nothing it is because he has nothing.  If we could get a pick out of them I would feel better.

He's played like 10 NBA games and was out for over 2 months after having surgery in September.
He's also just turned 19 years old. I hardly think there's anything to be nervous about a top 10 pick who's played 10 games. (And the surgery was for a hernia- not a knee or ankle etc).lol
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 07:59:06 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

1. Leonard
2. Butler
3. Jordan
4. Green

Pass on all others..

Well, for starters, Rondo makes guys better, which is more than you can say for any of the listed players, and he can dominate a game without ever taking a shot - on both ends.  Do you realize how rare that is?  I'm done with making this argument, btw, so we'll just have to agree to disagree on this one, and that's okay. :)  I mean, at this point, why bother?  He's gone, and there's nothing that I can do about it, so I've moved on, and I wish that more people would do the same.

Yeah, he's gone, but he can still be used a comparable, in terms of a cornerstone player, since you think he's one and Leonard and Butler (2 other non-Celtics) aren't. Not to mention that he is also a free agent at the end of the year. So in essence it's a conversation about 3 soon to be free agents, is it not?

Curious as to why you think he actually makes players better though. Are Mavs players' numbers offensively better now that Rondo is in the fold? Is spacing better for them to operate? Are you basing this on things you have seen from 2012 and older, or is it recent history?

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2015, 04:29:35 PM »

Offline snowball

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 47
I agree with you all.... but... the plan is to win a title... i think most of us agree that only smart has the potential maybe young too to be a factor in a championship team...

you're dreaming. both on the celtics plan being to "win a title", and smart and
young being championship team caliber starters..

the harsh reality is that Ainge has dug this team into such a hole it will take at
least 5 years to be competitive, MAYBE.. seriously could be looking at dark
horizons for over a decade.

« Reply #20 on: January 31, 2015, 06:25:09 PM »

Offline chambers

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 943
  • Boston Celtics= Championships, nothing less.
I agree with you all.... but... the plan is to win a title... i think most of us agree that only smart has the potential maybe young too to be a factor in a championship team...

you're dreaming. both on the celtics plan being to "win a title", and smart and
young being championship team caliber starters..

the harsh reality is that Ainge has dug this team into such a hole it will take at
least 5 years to be competitive, MAYBE.. seriously could be looking at dark
horizons for over a decade.

This is completely and utterly ridiculous.
We will have enough cap room to sign two max free agents in 2016 and perhaps three.
We'll have all our first round picks + Marcus Smart and our 2015 pick.

I'm not sure exactly where else you'd picture us right now and how we could be in a better position than we currently are.

What exactly is this 'hole' you are imagining ?
"We are lucky we have a very patient GM that isn't willing to settle for being good and coming close. He wants to win a championship and we have the potential to get there still with our roster and assets."

quoting 'Greg B' on RealGM after 2017 trade deadline.
Read that last line again. One more time.

« Reply #21 on: January 31, 2015, 07:29:33 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Bass a Celtic for life

Go ing for a playoff spot

Who d thunk
« Last Edit: January 31, 2015, 08:52:13 PM by SHAQATTACK »