Author Topic: Is Bradley really an elite shooter?  (Read 6160 times)

Re: Is Bradley really an elite shooter?
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:23 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
Same sort of thing.  Thing is bradley at this point in his career has kind of been a jackknife sort of player.  decent scorer and shooter and defender.
I wonder whether you understand the meaning of terms when you throw them out there. Bradley isn't a decent scorer. He hasn't even been one. He's giving you something like 13 points on 12 shots, which is pretty mediocre.

Bradley is a guy who can't get to the rim, can't get to the line, and can only make one type of shot (somewhat) reliably. That shot happens to be the least efficient shot in the game.

Wait, let's be fair and accurate.  The long two point jumper is the least efficient shot in the game, but the three pointer at which he's also at least somewhat reliable is one of the most efficient shots in the game.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:40 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Same sort of thing.  Thing is bradley at this point in his career has kind of been a jackknife sort of player.  decent scorer and shooter and defender.
I wonder whether you understand the meaning of terms when you throw them out there. Bradley isn't a decent scorer. He hasn't even been one. He's giving you something like 13 points on 12 shots, which is pretty mediocre.

Bradley is a guy who can't get to the rim, can't get to the line, and can only make one type of shot (somewhat) reliably. That shot happens to be the least efficient shot in the game.

I do know what I mean by that though.  He isn't a swiss army knife.  He's a decent scorer, shooter and defender so far.  With the plus more on his defense and the lesser part on him as a scorer.  Shooting he is decent about as much as the word decent can be.  He had a stretch where he was in the top 20 overall. CAn he sustain it?  He's still only 24 years old and hasn't really had a chance to be that guy.

Bradley is still a decent scorer. He might not be the best guy at getting to the rim. But between cuts and coming off screens he's a decent scorer.  He takes it to the hoop every so often too.  Gets it on putbacks on steals adn layups.  He shoots it.   12-13 ppg is decent.

Now you are just confusing me. Bradley is a decent scorer no matter how you look at it.  Scoring and shooting go hand in hand anyways.  He's a jackknife.  Not a swiss army knife. 

« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:44:50 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 02:41:51 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
 He is streaky, and his D seems to have suffered since working on his shot. C's jumped the gun  by not waiting to match in the offseason, and now are stuck playing him 35 minutes a game in hopes he us his game. He needs to learn if his shot isn't hitting. Then he should attack the basket, 1-7 nights behind the arc really hurt the team.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 03:22:15 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Bradley's shown the ability to score 15ppg on roughly 45/40/80 splits. He needs to work on getting to the line more and getting more easy baskets, perhaps in transition, and yeah, he should probably be more like a 4th option.

But for a guy who's considered defense first, that seems "decent" to me. Plenty of guys can't score 15 a night and keep even an average ~51% TS. If you upped his usage and minutes, and he learned to get to the line a couple more times a night, you'd be looking at a 20 ppg player with around average efficiency. Also, as bad a long 2s are in general, they've become slightly underrated IF you shoot them efficiently. They do have *some* value in the fact that they are low-turnover, always-available, defense-can-get-set opportunities.

Free throws are the main thing holding him back. He was 59th in the league in scoring average last year and all 58 guys ahead of him shot more free throws per game.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 04:03:53 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Bradley barely scores more points than his number of field goal attempts.  His ratio of mid-range shots to three pointers is not good, and he doesn't take or make all that many threes, typically.

He's an OK shooter, but overall he's an inefficient scoring option and he doesn't present a shooting threat that the opponent has to really worry about.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 04:17:16 PM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
Bradley barely scores more points than his number of field goal attempts.  His ratio of mid-range shots to three pointers is not good, and he doesn't take or make all that many threes, typically.

He's an OK shooter, but overall he's an inefficient scoring option and he doesn't present a shooting threat that the opponent has to really worry about.
His 3s to 2s ratio would be fine if he got to the line/rim an acceptable amount.

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 04:24:33 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

So far Bradley is attempting about 4 threes a game while making 1 and a half. I'd say takes and makes a decent amount of threes.

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 04:41:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I wish Sully shot less of them. 

I think AB underperformed some this year.    I don't think he is an elite shooter just yet.   But he has improved trouble is he takes some bad shots to go with the good shots.  I consider an elite shooter someone like Bird, Ray Allen or Kyle Korver.   Bradley isn't in that crowd.    Would you want him to shoot a shot with your team's life on the line?   Me Neither!

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 04:42:08 PM »

Offline GetLucky

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 349
Avery is definitely an elite shooter. The only problem is that he isn't an elite maker.

« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2015, 05:00:55 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Avery is definitely an elite shooter. The only problem is that he isn't an elite maker.

Rim shot.

« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2015, 05:56:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
In case anyone wondered what the difference is between a scorer and Avery Bradley, I leave you with the following:

Avery Bradley, 13.1 ppg on 12.4 shots per game this season.
Paul Pierce, 12.8 ppg on 9.4 shots.

Just because you score a bunch of points doesn't make you a scorer, let alone an decent one. Anyone can average 15 ppg if given enough shots.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2015, 06:47:39 PM »

Offline KeepRondo

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 215
I never said that Bradley is an elite shooter. I said in the past month he is performing like an elite shooter.
Stop with the meaningless stats.

If he was a rookie or a second year player, I could see how a good month would mean something. It would show some potential and then I would be interested. Bradley on the other hand has to show it every night. The other night I saw him badly brick 5 straight threes. Not one of them was on line with the basket. He's not a natural shooter, and for that reason, I think his shot will continue to come and go.

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2015, 07:02:08 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277
I never said that Bradley is an elite shooter. I said in the past month he is performing like an elite shooter.
Stop with the meaningless stats.

If he was a rookie or a second year player, I could see how a good month would mean something. It would show some potential and then I would be interested. Bradley on the other hand has to show it every night. The other night I saw him badly brick 5 straight threes. Not one of them was on line with the basket. He's not a natural shooter, and for that reason, I think his shot will continue to come and go.

Is it only meaningless, if it contradicts you views? Kevin just praised Bradley for a prodctive shooting month and thinks that he can develop further as a shooter. He's 24 and I don't think it's out of the question that he could get better. Besides I've seen Ray Allen and Steph Curry miss badly on shots time and time again. I'm not saying that Bradley will be them (he won't) but I do believe he could be a good shooter and has a decent body of work.

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2015, 07:50:19 PM »

Offline Jesus Shuttlesworth #20

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 28
Whenever I see a thread as ridiculous as this I think it is safe to assume it was started by a rival fan trying to aggravate Celtics fans.

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2015, 08:34:59 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Bradley is unquestionably the biggest disappointment this season.  I would point to Bradley's season thus far as evidence of how the linear notion of player development held by many posters on this forum is utter nonsense.