Author Topic: Is Bradley really an elite shooter?  (Read 6162 times)

Is Bradley really an elite shooter?
« on: January 30, 2015, 10:45:55 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 20
Reading that celticsblog article.  I like AB and think he is a pretty good player too and underrated as kind of a jackknife scorer, shooter and defender but just looking at his stats since Jeff Green left.  He's taking on more of that role of being a primary option.  The thing is where Bradley needs to improve is in other parts of his game but he's shooting the 3 more and making more 3's.  But his fg % is down and his numbers really haven't increased across the board. He's just shooting it more.  His 3 pt shot has probably improved but other aspects of his game which wasn't his strength to begin with haven't really improved. He comes off screens.  Sometimes is found underneath maybe once a game.  He's basically just shooting it more at a lower percentage. Looking at his stats the last 30 days, 14 days, 7 days respectively his numbers have been up and down but have basically remained about the same.  12-13 points, a couple rebounds, an assist and maybe a steal.  His field goal percentage has dropped.  Maybe it will pay off long term but other aspects of his game still aren't improving.

Ray Allen was an elite 3 point shooter. He shot the 3 at an elite level and also scored in other ways and was just an elite player.  Bradley not so much.  Then you have other players like KOrver who are elite shooters but don't do much else.  Bradley is really neither. He's a good shooter, and decent defender and scorer.  He isn't ray allen levels as far as his shooting.  Ray Allen would lay b ricks and keep shooting but BRadley is even more that now and he's not the shooter Ray Allen was.

I don't really see anyone on our roster right now who is elite.  Smart is shooting it well and has the ability to be that once other parts of his game come.  Sully is borderline allstar material.  KO h as some upside but has a long way to go in a lot of areas.  I don't see elite on our roster.  Makes me think our team minus Smart could look very different in the future too.

Re: Is Bradley really an elite shooter?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 10:53:12 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
BRadley since Jeff Green left is shooting about 39 percent.    Most of which are jump shots and coming off screens.  Not a horrible percentage if he were also getting layups.  So I see what Stevens is doing there in ways.  Ray Allen would shoot that and then get layups and scoring and shoot around 45 percent and score 20 a game.  Bradley is more just a jumpshooter right now which if he shoots that percentage isn't horrible.  But he is limited still.  He isn't kyle korver 3 point percentage which is elite.

He's still scoring 12-13 ppg which is the same as before. More up and down.  Because he is shooting the 3.  He'll score sometimes then go through droughts.  When green was here he was shooting about 45 percent and wasn't really improving.

Time will tell but right now AB is a serviceable shooter and not much else.  He's improving as a shooter. The more he shoots in games the better he can be.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:00:47 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 11:02:57 AM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Elite? LOL.

The discussion should be whether he's above average.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:05:26 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I agree it's also why we aren't very good.   We are developing guys but no one on our roster is elite.  Smart could be that.  Time will tell on guys like Bradley. But more was writing this in response to celticsblogs article.  I'm all sky is the limit but yeah for discussion purposes.

I think Bradley can be a good shooter.  I don't see why not. He's a pretty good one.  Elite?

I like that stevens is having him shoot it and improve that aspect of his game but time will tell.

If Stevens can turn Bradley into Kyle Korver I will be somewhat amazed.  More power to him.

Jeff Green was our best scorer and he was not elite himself.  We could have been a pretty good team with Rondo and Jeff but it's why we need all these draft picks now.  We don't have elite. Just some potential and hints of that in places.  I'm not sure I see Bradley being elite anywhere but he could be. James Young has more potential as an elite shooter imo.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:52:17 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:28:24 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think Bradley has elite stretches of shooting, but he isn't very consistent. Maybe someday he could be an elite shooter, but I would settle for him being elite at catch and shoot situations, since when he tries to create for himself it usually doesn't go well.

That being said, I hope this doesn't turn into a bash Bradley thread because there are too many of those already.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 11:29:34 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
way to streaky to be elite.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:32:10 AM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I think Bradley has elite stretches of shooting, but he isn't very consistent. Maybe someday he could be an elite shooter, but I would settle for him being elite at catch and shoot situations, since when he tries to create for himself it usually doesn't go well.

That being said, I hope this doesn't turn into a bash Bradley thread because there are too many of those already.

I'm not bashing him more for discussion purposes but I agree we don't know.  I like how the Celtics do things in that regard anyways.  Bradley is being given a shot and it should be in a more positive sense just plaeyrs improving and support their efforts. Last season Jeff was our scorer and I never bashed him. He shot the ball and that's what the Celtics wanted him to do.  I'd rather players succeed then fail. I think that's where the Celtics are coming from as well.  I think in that regard the Celtics were still seeing if they could build with Jeff and Rondo until the last minute. 

Jeff deserved a lot of credit for being that here and trying.  It was a failed experiment somewhat, we couldn't get the right pieces whatever,  but  I don't fault him for that. Just b ecause he didn't live up to some standard of what people expected.  The entire time I was more hoping he'd succeed. I feel the same way about Bradley.

I more think you have look at it from a positive sense.  At least Bradley is taking on that role and trying to be that.  I'm not going to knock him for that.  I can see where he can improve as well.

AB is one of my favorite Celtics.  So was jeff.  I think AB is a really good kid and likeable kid.  I Think out of any player on the Celtics AB probably is my favorite player not named Marcus Smart.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:38:10 AM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:41:01 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Bradley is shooting 36% on threes which would rank him around 47th in the league.

Courtney Lee is shooting 46% which is second in the league.

We should have traded Bradley instead of Lee.

http://espn.go.com/nba/statistics/player/_/stat/3-points/sort/threePointFieldGoalPct

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 12:18:34 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
He ...IS

Little Kobe

And don't forget it.

:D

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:06:27 PM »

Offline Kevin OConnor

• Payton Pritchard
  • Tommy Points: 24
  • @KevinOConnorNBA
I never said that Bradley is an elite shooter. I said in the past month he is performing like an elite shooter.
www.twitter.com/KevinOConnorNBA

I like sports and music.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:40:50 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I never said that Bradley is an elite shooter. I said in the past month he is performing like an elite shooter.

I never said he wasn't either.  I was more asking the question whether he will sustain it.  If you look at his numbers he had a hot streak and has since cooled off where his field goal percentage has been b elow 40 percent for the last couple weeks.  Tommy Heinsohn has been harping that he needs to improve other aspects of his game.  One thing at a time. The celtics are trying to get him to shoot the ball which i don't disagree with.  I more like bradley and saw that he was going to shoot the ball more once Jeff Green left and do well at it.  But more just questioning whether he will sustain it.  Nothing negative in what I'm saying.

I think Bradley can be a very good player myself and better than what he's been.  More just throwing the question out there for discussion purposes which people are missing.

The thing is we have bradley and young who both have potential in that area and trying to figure out who fits where. Having 2 guys who can shoot  it is better than none.  If you read my posts i've been watching both these guys.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 01:47:31 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:47:31 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Elite? LOL.

The discussion should be whether he's above average.
fixed that for you

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 01:49:52 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
If this team is ever going to be successful we need players who can shoot the ball. Bradley, Young, KO, Sully, Smart, Thornton etc have all been given the green light in this area to shoot the ball.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 02:15:07 PM »

Offline piercetruth34

• Derrick White
I more think I'm seeing something here other people don't understand or aren't.  Difficult to have those discussions on message boards without drama, but I made this post the other day about james young

http://forums.celticsblog.com/index.php?topic=75901.0

Same sort of thing.  Thing is bradley at this point in his career has kind of been a jackknife sort of player.  decent scorer and shooter and defender. When Jeff was here AB's percentages were up. Jeff wasn't an elite scorer himself but that helped AB's percentages but also kept him from improving.  The question more to me is how can bradley fit. Is he just anotehr guy like Jeff not quite elite or good enough or can he find a role here to go with James Young and give us a shooting presence fromt hat spot.  AB to me is a different player than james young. He might be more solid starting material where Young is a more deadly shooter. Time will tell on that stuff though.

On this team right now I don't have anyone locked as the next thing except Marcus. I think he is that and it's putting pieces around that.  We want guys who can shoot and do a variety of things.

I think b radley has a chance to stick here and improve.  All these guys do.

Too many fans are concerned with how much money bradley is making when i really don't care about that.  We retained our own player there and these same fans are all over bradley because hs isnt living up to some standard they have for him.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 02:25:41 PM by piercetruth34 »

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 02:27:58 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Same sort of thing.  Thing is bradley at this point in his career has kind of been a jackknife sort of player.  decent scorer and shooter and defender.
I wonder whether you understand the meaning of terms when you throw them out there. Bradley isn't a decent scorer. He hasn't even been one. He's giving you something like 13 points on 12 shots, which is pretty mediocre.

Bradley is a guy who can't get to the rim, can't get to the line, and can only make one type of shot (somewhat) reliably. That shot happens to be the least efficient shot in the game.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."