Poll

Do you think Smart will make All NBA Defensive team this year?

Yes, he is already one of the best guards defensively.
No, but he should be. They will overlook him as they have for rising stars game.
No, he is okay on D but not all NBA.

Author Topic: Smart on All NBA Defensive team this year?  (Read 3991 times)

Smart on All NBA Defensive team this year?
« on: January 30, 2015, 09:33:29 AM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
Think we have seen enough great D to ask the question.

Re: Smart on All NBA Defensive team this year?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 09:46:36 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
He could make the team, but he needs to play more in the second half.

Will he? I doubt it.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:58:13 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
I think he's playing very good defense, but still makes defensive lapses that are rare in players on the all nba defensive team.

Often if two players are relatively similar in terms of defensive acclaim the tie will go to the player who scores more points and is on a better team. Since Smart doesn't score a ton of points and is on a bad team, I doubt there is any way he gets votes. That is unless the Celtics make a surprise run fueled by his defense in the second half of the year.

Next year, I expect him to get a lot of consideration though.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 09:59:44 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

He's playing nice 1-on-1 defense, but he is not playing good team defense yet. It takes good teammates to do so, of course, but there it is anyway. The all-defense team this year is almost certainly going to include Tony Allen and Draymond Green. The bigs in the mix will be Duncan, Millsap, Aldridge, Gasol, and Deandre Jordan. The guards/wings in the running for that last spot will probably be John Wall, Trevor Ariza, Danny Green... it's hard to see Marcus Smart breaking into that conversation.  Jimmy Butler and Klay Thompson are the toast of the NBA right now; they'll probably also get some consideration.

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 10:09:26 AM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

oh gosh, and Anthony Davis obviously.

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 10:42:38 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
Lack of minutes played are main impediment for Marcus Smart at this point.

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
He'll get there, maybe as early as next season, but unless he starts playing 30 minutes of havoc-like defense a night, it will not happen this year.  It's a lot easier to play good defense 20 minutes per game instead of 30.  Still, projections which said his defense would instantly translate into an NBA skill were spot on, which is great.

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 11:18:28 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

He's playing nice 1-on-1 defense, but he is not playing good team defense yet. It takes good teammates to do so, of course, but there it is anyway. The all-defense team this year is almost certainly going to include Tony Allen and Draymond Green. The bigs in the mix will be Duncan, Millsap, Aldridge, Gasol, and Deandre Jordan. The guards/wings in the running for that last spot will probably be John Wall, Trevor Ariza, Danny Green... it's hard to see Marcus Smart breaking into that conversation.  Jimmy Butler and Klay Thompson are the toast of the NBA right now; they'll probably also get some consideration.

But, there's a second team.  If he stays healthy and keeps getting between 25 to 30 minutes a game for the rest of the season, I absolutely think he'll have a shot at second team All Defense. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:26:45 AM »

Offline bdm860

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 4586
Often if two players are relatively similar in terms of defensive acclaim the tie will go to the player who scores more points and is on a better team.

You really think so?  I see so many non-scorers on the All Defensive team every year, I always thought the opposite, guys that score a lot get overlooked for the award, while guys that don't score a lot get an advantage because they're automatically thought of as defensive players since they're not scoring.

Out of the 10 guys on last year's All-Defensive teams, I'd only consider 3 of them scorers, most of the other 7 barely averaged double figures.

Looking back at other years (without digging into the ppg of every player in their All-D year), it seems like there's a fair mix of scorers, average scorers, and non-scorers on the team.  But I always think of the Tony Allens, Tyson Chandlers, Bruce Bowens, and Shane Battiers when I'm thinking of All-Defensive and not the Kobes and Lebrons.  So I wonder if there is any bias one way or the other, but I always thought the bias was in favor of the non-scorers.

Now when it comes to Marcus Smart, Avery Bradley won All-Defensive 2nd team in 2013 after missing the first 30 games of the season and playing under 30mpg.  Patrick Beverley was on 2nd team last year playing only 56 games. Andre Iguodale was 1st team playing only 63 games.  If Smart has a strong 2nd half, say in the starting lineup after the trade deadline doing around 30mpg, I could see him possibly making 2nd team.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2015, 11:33:02 AM by bdm860 »

After 18 months with their Bigs, the Littles were: 46% less likely to use illegal drugs, 27% less likely to use alcohol, 52% less likely to skip school, 37% less likely to skip a class

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 01:53:25 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
As of right now I believe he will just barely miss the 2nd team.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
Not as of today, and he'd need more minutes and some drop-off/injuries to other candidates to do it.  Probably not, but I fully expect to see him there in future years.

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 08:48:54 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
God no. Not this year.

Does anyone really think that any starter in this league really worries about playing against Marcus Smart?

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 10:48:20 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
God no. Not this year.

Does anyone really think that any starter in this league really worries about playing against Marcus Smart?

Yes.

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2015, 10:55:22 PM »

Offline Sketch5

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
God no. Not this year.

Harden does after tonight.

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2015, 11:06:16 PM »

Offline colincb

• NCE
  • Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 501
No, but he will be in the future