Author Topic: noel and embid cannot play together  (Read 6113 times)

Re: noel and embid cannot play together
« Reply #15 on: January 30, 2015, 01:49:20 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
I do think that the 76ers will have to address the bigs issue and trade one of them, but they won't give him away for free, which is basically the trade you proposed.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #16 on: January 30, 2015, 02:02:38 PM »

Offline Waew

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 50
One backs up the other. 15 players on a roster, Cheap backup rookie salary

« Reply #17 on: January 30, 2015, 02:19:59 PM »

Offline JBcat

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 512
If I were them I wouldn't rush to trade either of them.  They can still draft the BPA in the draft say if it's Okafor and figure it out later.  Embiid looks like he could be a true center, Noel looks like has the quickness to play PF and may develop a 15 footer to help spread the floor, and Okafor may be able to play both positions.

« Reply #18 on: January 30, 2015, 02:51:13 PM »

Offline byennie

• Webmaster
  • Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 3033
Scouts were saying Embiid was "by far" the best player in a loaded draft.  They think the kid has Hakeem potential.  He was never falling past 3rd.  Some felt the cavs should have taken him 1st in spite of his injury.  I imagine Philly explored moving embiid to the cavs for wiggins and offering some compensation, but the Lebron situation probably changed stuff.

If embiid turns into the type of dominant 2-way big man everyone expects he will be once healthy, that's a franchise player you build championships around.  I imagine they'd move noel (who has a very bright future as well).  It will get very interesting if they also land okafor.

Many scouts did have Embiid ranked #1, but "by far" over Wiggins and Parker? That was definitely not the consensus, and a fair number had Wiggins or Parker rated higher.

« Reply #19 on: January 30, 2015, 03:15:20 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I don't understand the KO and Sully bashing on this board. Sure they won't become Anthony Davis or Tim Duncan or KG but how many other pf's and centers out there will be?

My point is they are both starting caliber players. If you put any real center next to either of them they can flourish since neither are really fit to battle down low for 30+ minutes a game. Also by keeping them at the 4 we can invest more cap space(Leonard, Butler, Green) / draft choices( SJohnson, Winslow) into the 2 and 3 spots.

I disagree completely with your point.   Sully is flawed on D.   You think KO is a starter?   Sully is a starter on a bad team, one that other teams routinely exploit.  Sure he puts up numbers, but he is still taking ill advised threes and arguably gives up more points than he makes and is routinely the focus of the other team's attack.  I would argue that both are bench players ideally.  We really only need one of them going forward when our talent upgrades.     

I find the the concept that either one one them is good enough that they require a particular type of center behind as evidence that both are deeply flawed as players.  The NBA where we hope to couple two players into a complete player?  That is what your proposing.  Why not get a non flawed player, who is athlete and can play?   I would not get too attached to these guys they are both completely  upgradeable. 

When did this become the compensate for a player league?   I could see it if they were better players but they are not.  Bird was not fast but he could anticipate and impact the game in s about fell out of my chair laughing when you said Olynyk is a starting caliber player.   Sully is a deeply flawed player and I have not even mentioned weight or conditioning issues which are a problem for him.   The are starters, maybe with the passive tanking that has been  going on as your going to lose plenty with those two in there.   I would not even remotely consider them starters on a championship level team.

Celtics4ever apparently believe athleticism is the sole determinant of basketball impact. He ignores all indicators of Sullinger's competent D (his "statistical" argument for Sullinger being a bad defender is Sully's poor results on some draft day workouts) as well as all indicators of both Sully + Kelly's good-to-really-good offensive skills.

You completely ignore the eyetest  TheFlex.    Most of the times, other teams let him shoot because Sully is such a poor shooter.   Here are some stats and you have ignored them every time I posted them so I do not know why I bother.   

Sully is only shooting .45% from the field and .30% from the three point line.   Since when did those shooting numbers constitute good shooting for a big?   I am not even going to waste the time on the Olynyk stats because is that big of a joke.

http://www.basketball-reference.com/players/s/sullija01.html

Other teams, seem to score more in the clutch when he is on the court and his clutch shooting percentages seem to shot not real good offensive skills that you are presenting.  They are mediocre.  I suppose if that that is what you like.

Opposing Cs are average 18 PPG against him and PF are averaging 21 PPG.  He scores 14 PPG.   Please take note of Opponent Counterpart 48-Minute Production:

http://www.82games.com/1415/14BOS15.HTM#pstats

Minus -7 points.  39% FG and a 7 and 8 Win Loss record in the clutch.  Clutch has often been the decider of a player's mettle.   Are those really that good?  Maybe for your standards which are apparently much lower than mine.

http://www.82games.com/1213/12BOS15.HTM#clutch

We're a bad team and he is one of the best players we have on a bad team.  That does mean he is good NBA player like you present.  How is he doing with the All Star voting and the team? Springfield MASS here Sully comes.

I think your in the minority here and more and more people are seeing it.  Does he pay you post this drivel?  Are you one of those folks that post positive reviews to counter truthful ones? NOTE what you posted was opinion and the above is actual stats. 

ON TOPIC, I think having talent is a problem I wish we had.  I think they could play together and if not they will be easier to move for an asset than our flawed talent.

We've gone back and forth on this a number of times, I don't think it's worth rehashing again. I appreciate you laying out your argument and respect your views. I'd just like to address one thing, quickly:

I don't "ignore" the eye test, I just don't rush to assumptions when I see things on the court that make me think one thing or another. Many people have complained about Sullinger's three-point shooting this season (despite the fact that he still takes 75% of his shots within two-point range, and 50% within ten feet of the rim). It's easy to point to Sully taking a three a few times a game and harp on him being an undisciplined player who will never learn to play to his strengths. It's harder to recognize that Sully is one of just two Celtics who has consistently held his starting spot over the past two seasons (him and Bradley). Do you think if Sullinger was playing an offensive game that Stevens didn't call for he would still have his starting spot? You don't think he'd get yanked after every three he took and screamed at on the bench by all of the coaches? This is the NBA, not rec ball. You don't get to do what you want unless you're good enough. And Sullinger, as big a fan as I am of him, is not good enough to just do his own thing on either end of the floor.

The Sixers employ a coaching method in which they essentially realize how bad they are and play games as if they are practice. MCW and Noel repeatedly take shots they know they can't efficiently make in order to a) build confidence and b) build muscle memory. You don't think there is some of that going on between Stevens and his players? How about Smart launching threes at the beginning of the year when it was far from proven that he had that type of range? And continuing to do so, while simultaneously receiving more playing time each month, after missing 16 of 21 threes in November?

I agree with you, Sullinger is a flawed player, but you could say that about probably every NBA player not named LBJ. It doesn't really present much of an argument for me to work with. I, too, would like to see Sullinger curb his three-point shooting to 1-2 per game, to keep the defense honest and space the floor. I think, unless Sullinger morphs into Kevin Love this summer, he will do just that with Coach Stevens' approval, and if he doesn't, CBS will discipline him with less playing time. So far, Sullinger hasn't seen any less playing time. That to me is the ultimate indicator that he's doing what his coaches want him to do.

As I said, there's other portions of your argument (didn't really address our disagreements on his defensive play in this post) that I'm not fond of, but we've already discussed those. Here's hoping Sullinger becomes the player that he has the talent to become.

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 09:44:50 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
with embiid's apparently terrible weight issues and ignoring conditioning, the 76ers would probably want to trade him more than noel

but seeing as he has 2 way potential and was recently drafted with a top 3 pick, the 76ers will probably ask a ransom just for him (probably our lottery pick + their 2nd rounders back and a young player)

even though i think he had the most potential out of wiggins and parker, with his injury issues and questions about his work ethic i think he has a much higher boom or bust potential that i would not be willing to give up a lottery pick and a young player for

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 10:02:08 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Better hope they can't

That said .....somebody is going to ride the bench ......and one of them an't going yo be happy about that

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 10:06:21 PM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i also dont get why everyone is hating on sully and olynyk

to me olynyk is a bench player cuz he cant rebound that well, doesnt have a high defensive potential, is slow but he can create his own shot in the post and at the top of the key and can shoot the 3.

right now they play him at the 5 but he is a 4. If he were to play the 4 hes 3 point advantage would be taken away with faster pf like anthony davis able to guard him.

i see him as a solid pick for us but i am still hating that we did not take giannis antetokounmpo (who i thought we would have taken) or gorgui dieng (my sleeper pick in that draft) 

i believe sully is a legitimate starter in the league but not a star
in a league full of great PFs i dont believe we need a great PF to be a contender, if we build our team with a superstar center to minimize sully's defensive deficiencies, a superstar SF and a star SG or PG (hopefully in smart)

sully is knows the fundamentals enough to create his own shot against taller defenders in the post and to rebound well

right now stevens is having him shoot a ton at the 3 and midrange to maximize his offensive potential (kevin love), if he stuck to the post to draw more fouls he would probably average 16-18 ppg on a bad team (which is not bad)

sully will never be as a good of a rebounder as love and not a knock down 3 point shooter but he could average for his career 8-10 rebounds and 16-18 points, which is what a starter would do 

also during the 2012 draft a lot of scouts had him in their top 10 before his injury

also their were a lot of conditioning issues surrounding love when he came out from UCLA, i believe that sully has a strong work ethic and would be able to get his condition himself just as love did