Author Topic: Turner to detriot (idea)  (Read 3573 times)

Turner to detriot (idea)
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:39:46 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
With Jennings injury detriot is in desperate need of a PG to finish out this season. They still have a solid shot at making the playoffs. They currently have a .362 winning percentage with the Cs .364, Nets .400 joining them as the next 3 teams out of the 8th seed. This is after a 4 game slide caused by the lose of Jennings. The heat are sitting at 7th .444% and it has been reported Wade is out 2-3 weeks with a hammy injury.

This brings up my subject of Turner to detriot. He may be a nice fit both short term and long term. They currently have DJ Augustine and they PG with rookie 2/1 guard backing him up and KCP as the only other guard on the roster. The have also been linked in rumors to Norris Coles. In the short term Tuner is probably a better fit as he is more of an offensive player then Coles and will be able to help fill the scoring void left by Jennings. In the long term Turner can also give then minutes at their weakest position SF.

I would think a return similar to the Jordan Crawford trade would be in line for the Cs Joel Anthony and 2 2nd rd picks
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

Re: Turner to detriot (idea)
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:43:18 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
With Jennings injury detriot is in desperate need of a PG to finish out this season. They still have a solid shot at making the playoffs. They currently have a .362 winning percentage with the Cs .364, Nets .400 joining them as the next 3 teams out of the 8th seed. This is after a 4 game slide caused by the lose of Jennings. The heat are sitting at 7th .444% and it has been reported Wade is out 2-3 weeks with a hammy injury.

This brings up my subject of Turner to detriot. He may be a nice fit both short term and long term. They currently have DJ Augustine and they PG with rookie 2/1 guard backing him up and KCP as the only other guard on the roster. The have also been linked in rumors to Norris Coles. In the short term Tuner is probably a better fit as he is more of an offensive player then Coles and will be able to help fill the scoring void left by Jennings. In the long term Turner can also give then minutes at their weakest position SF.

I would think a return similar to the Jordan Crawford trade would be in line for the Cs Joel Anthony and 2 2nd rd picks
Turner is worth a first or we keep him until he shows that kind of worth.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 08:19:30 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
or he never shows he is worth a first round pick

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 08:21:07 AM »

Offline BornReady

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 40
i dont think hes worth a 1st, he would be worth a second

philly drafted him second and traded him for only a second to Indiana

Im not sold on turner as a good player and dont think he will justify himself going no 2 in a draft with cousins, george and monroe still on the board 

also gms will be wary of trading for him because of the locker room problems and inefficiency that happened in Indiana

he is not really a guy you could just plug in

« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 08:22:08 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Two things:

Firstly, and most importantly, it will be my lifelong mission to disabuse this forum of the notion that we got two (or actually three) second-rounders for Jordan Crawford.  We got zero for him.  We got draft picks for taking on Joel Anthony's contract, which saved the Heat $3.8 million in cap room last summer, and about $5.5 million in luxury tax last season.  Consider the trade:

We sent Golden State Crawford and Brooks.  Golden State sent Miami Toney Douglas (who made $2.2 million less than Anthony) and sent us a smallish amount of cash.  So to the team getting Crawford (and Brooks), he/they were worth Toney Douglas and a not very large check by NBA standards.  While Douglas did get some decent playing time the last few weeks of the season when D-Wade was resting to be ready for the playoffs, Miami did not give up multiple second-rounders for Douglas.  At most they gave up their own 2016 2nd rounder for him, but I frankly think they would have preferred to take back no salary and sign a free-agent version of Toney Douglas for the minimum instead.  We got the picks for providing Miami salary relief, plain-and-simple.  Crawford was merely an expiring salary that another team was interested enough in to take on so that we could provide Miami that relief.  No more, no less.

Back to your main point (and I apologize for the digression, but it is my mission), it does not seem that Van Gundy will give up much of anything for a stopgap point guard.  That said, maybe 2-3 second rounders isn't considered much of anything, but all the same I'd be surprised if Ainge, who's shooting for the moon right now, would settle for that, unless he wants Turner off the books next summer.

"We definitely got to get a third point guard, there's no question," said Stan Van Gundy, the team's head coach and President of Basketball Operations. "To go out and get a guy who would be a huge difference maker, you probably have to give up something that would hurt you down the road.

"We're not in panic time here. We're not going to do that and be sitting here in the summer kicking ourselves for trying to do something short-term that would hurt us in the long-term."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/01/detorit_pistons_pondering_a_de.html

« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2015, 08:37:19 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Two things:

Firstly, and most importantly, it will be my lifelong mission to disabuse this forum of the notion that we got two (or actually three) second-rounders for Jordan Crawford.  We got zero for him.  We got draft picks for taking on Joel Anthony's contract, which saved the Heat $3.8 million in cap room last summer, and about $5.5 million in luxury tax last season.  Consider the trade:

We sent Golden State Crawford and Brooks.  Golden State sent Miami Toney Douglas (who made $2.2 million less than Anthony) and sent us a smallish amount of cash.  So to the team getting Crawford (and Brooks), he/they were worth Toney Douglas and a not very large check by NBA standards.  While Douglas did get some decent playing time the last few weeks of the season when D-Wade was resting to be ready for the playoffs, Miami did not give up multiple second-rounders for Douglas.  At most they gave up their own 2016 2nd rounder for him, but I frankly think they would have preferred to take back no salary and sign a free-agent version of Toney Douglas for the minimum instead.  We got the picks for providing Miami salary relief, plain-and-simple.  Crawford was merely an expiring salary that another team was interested enough in to take on so that we could provide Miami that relief.  No more, no less.

Back to your main point (and I apologize for the digression, but it is my mission), it does not seem that Van Gundy will give up much of anything for a stopgap point guard.  That said, maybe 2-3 second rounders isn't considered much of anything, but all the same I'd be surprised if Ainge, who's shooting for the moon right now, would settle for that, unless he wants Turner off the books next summer.

"We definitely got to get a third point guard, there's no question," said Stan Van Gundy, the team's head coach and President of Basketball Operations. "To go out and get a guy who would be a huge difference maker, you probably have to give up something that would hurt you down the road.

"We're not in panic time here. We're not going to do that and be sitting here in the summer kicking ourselves for trying to do something short-term that would hurt us in the long-term."

http://www.cleveland.com/cavs/index.ssf/2015/01/detorit_pistons_pondering_a_de.html

I see your point with Crawford trade but I would think that in the trade the Cs where comped the 76ers pick for taking Anthony and the additonal 2nd for sending out Crawford.

I agree that Van Gundy isn't going to give up much for a stop gap PG. My point is that Turner can be more then that. He will serve as stop gap PG this season. Then next season on a very reasonable deal he can serve as their 6th man backing up 1-3 or their starting 3.
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2015, 10:15:18 AM »

Offline Diggles

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 46
i dont think hes worth a 1st, he would be worth a second

philly drafted him second and traded him for only a second to Indiana

Im not sold on turner as a good player and dont think he will justify himself going no 2 in a draft with cousins, george and monroe still on the board 

also gms will be wary of trading for him because of the locker room problems and inefficiency that happened in Indiana

Really First ALL DAY!   Like Crawford but better!

he is not really a guy you could just plug in
Diggles

« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Two things:

I see your point with Crawford trade but I would think that in the trade the Cs where comped the 76ers pick for taking Anthony and the additonal 2nd for sending out Crawford.

I agree that Van Gundy isn't going to give up much for a stop gap PG. My point is that Turner can be more then that. He will serve as stop gap PG this season. Then next season on a very reasonable deal he can serve as their 6th man backing up 1-3 or their starting 3.
you both have solid points but have to admit I'm leaning more towards CFAN's viewpoint.  Turner, for all his flaws, is better than a stopgap PG since he can be a better than serviceable SF and decent 6th man.  definitely worth a second (or 2) particularly to a team looking to make the playoffs

« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2015, 11:17:07 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1533
I think Bradley makes a lot more sense for Detroit as his defense and shooting would fit better on that team.

Bradley for Jennings straight up.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2015, 11:26:29 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
I think Bradley makes a lot more sense for Detroit as his defense and shooting would fit better on that team.

Would be excited.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2015, 01:24:36 PM »

Offline Geo123

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 33

And they would laugh at you...

« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2015, 01:39:14 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Turner has little value.

« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2015, 02:18:31 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
   I hate that Turner is our starting point guard. Blog fans like him for some reason, but Crawford was even twice the pg he is last year.Turner turns the ball over way too much. Let Smart play 32 minutes a game and start at the point, move Turner to sf, I don't think you'll get more than a expiring for him.