Author Topic: gambling with the red flags  (Read 4525 times)

gambling with the red flags
« on: January 29, 2015, 05:21:36 PM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Tha sullinger choice was fine..  can we pick upshaw and levert with our second rounders? Or will they not be available at the 32-38 pick? I do not mind rhe risk

Re: gambling with the red flags
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 05:45:11 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Tha sullinger choice was fine..

He can't play D, and is not athletic, nor does he run the floor well.   Finite ceiling, I think he will want more than he is worth when free agency comes,   I think that other teams do not want him because they know his flaws.  He doesn't have a higher ceiling like Big Al.

I am all for taking a gamble now and again with a later pick though.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 06:43:06 PM »

Offline celticmania

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 39
I would definitely take both in the second round..... Not much of a risk considering only a handful of second round picks end up making an NBA roster the following season. Levert can score, shoot, and create for others and Upshaw can block shots, rebound, and finish. All useful NBA skills.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 07:20:51 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He can't play D, and is not athletic, nor does he run the floor well.   Finite ceiling, I think he will want more than he is worth when free agency comes,   I think that other teams do not want him because they know his flaws.  He doesn't have a higher ceiling like Big Al.

His defense is fine, also athleticism isn't everything. He can still find ways to compensate for his lack of athletic ability.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 07:42:05 PM »

Offline BitterJim

• NGT
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 1212

Who SHOULD we have taken, then?  The sully pick worked out well, he's way better than any of the players taken after him (except probably Draymond Green)
I'm bitter.

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 07:45:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

Who SHOULD we have taken, then?  The sully pick worked out well, he's way better than any of the players taken after him (except probably Draymond Green)
guys, unless i am mistaken the title of this thread is not "does sully eggs? yes or no." the thread is asking about players in THIS draft who have red flags due to injury or what ever.

for example, herzonja is a great offensive player, but he appears to not pay attention on defense, looks disengaged, and is arrogant. but he is a great offensive player. his attitude is a red flag. should ainge gamble on him?
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 07:53:15 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
These guys are both gone in the first round.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 08:03:22 PM »

Offline nostar

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 74
Yeah Sully can play competent D. He's not a world beater but he's not a sieve either.

athleticism isn't everything. He can still find ways to compensate for his lack of athletic ability.

He can and from what I can see has. With the exception of Draymond Green (a complete and total revelation) he's the best PF from his draft class. You could make arguments for Henson or Jones but he was not only picked after those two guys, he's also got a strong statistical case as a better player than either.

If you're interested here is the breakdown for that draft class of power forwards. I left off Davis off because he's not a PF, he's a freak of nature.

As for selections made after Sully, the only guy I might rather have is Draymond Green. But  honestly if Sully improves his 3PT% (and he has steadily every year) I'm not even sure I would take Green over him. Seriously though, look through the bottom half of that draft. It was plain garbage. Ainge grabbing Sully was great and totally makes up for the whiff on Melo. Also I'm all for whiffing on 7ft guys. You seriously never know when Deandre Jordan or Rudy Gobert might just end up on your team.

Love Sully, hope he keeps getting better, hope we keep him for a long time.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 08:25:14 PM »

Offline MarcusStart

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 18

guys, unless i am mistaken the title of this thread is not "does sully eggs? yes or no." the thread is asking about players in THIS draft who have red flags due to injury or what ever.

for example, herzonja is a great offensive player, but he appears to not pay attention on defense, looks disengaged, and is arrogant. but he is a great offensive player. his attitude is a red flag. should ainge gamble on him?

I wouldn't take Herzonja because he seems like locker room poison and I don't think CBS is the type of coach that can handle that type of personality.

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 09:08:10 PM »

Offline fantankerous

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122

I wouldn't take Herzonja because he seems like locker room poison and I don't think CBS is the type of coach that can handle that type of personality.

You take the best the best talent.  If Stevens can't handle him, fire him.  Or preferably just fire him because he's a subpar coach.

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:40:41 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323

He implied the Sully pick has worked, I do not think it has that well.   We have a flawed player, I am sorry I had to spell that out to you.

I completely understood the redflags.   My second paragraph was about taking a risk with a low pick.

What does" sully eggs" mean can you explain that one to me, do you mean he lays eggs?   Eat eggs?  Typo?

, herzonja is a great offensive player, but he appears to not pay attention on defense, looks disengaged, and is arrogant. but he is a great offensive player. his attitude is a red flag. should ainge gamble on him?

Nope, I would not take any players who do not play D, because we are not close enough to win and be able to hide a player like that.

http://www.draftexpress.com/profile/Mario-Hezonja-6392/

We have different definitions of great offensive players, I do not care for his shooting percentage or shot selection.   Ainge often gambles on guys who can play who are flawed.   Rondo, BBD, Sully are all great examples.

I do not think he will gamble on a red flag medical wise, unless the doctors clear that player.   I also think he is into brain typing and has used it in the past.

http://braintypes.com/

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 10:42:15 PM »

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes

He implied the Sully pick has worked, I do not think it has that well.   We have a flawed player, I am sorry I had to spell that out to you.

I completely understood the redflags.   My second paragraph was about taking a risk with a low pick.

What does" sully eggs" mean can you explain that one to me, do you mean he lays eggs?   Eat eggs?  Typo?

, herzonja is a great offensive player, but he appears to not pay attention on defense, looks disengaged, and is arrogant. but he is a great offensive player. his attitude is a red flag. should ainge gamble on him?

Nope, I would not take any players who do not play D, because we are not close enough to win and be able to hide a player like that.

We have different definitions of great offensive players, I do not care for his shooting percentage or shot selection.   Ainge often gambles on guys who can play who are flawed.   Rondo, BBD, Sully are all great examples.

I do not think he will gamble on a red flag medical wise, unless the doctors clear that player.   I also think he is into brain typing and has used it in the past.

Picking up sully at 21 was a great move

Honestly, who would you rather have at that point in the draft?
I trust Danny Ainge

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 10:49:16 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

does sully s...u....c...k...eggs. i didnt think that word would make it past the filters, so i left it to folks imagination.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:11:25 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

Picking up sully at 21 was a great move

Honestly, who would you rather have at that point in the draft?

Exactly. He was the 21st pick. He is healthy and playing better than all but a handful of players from his draft class. Yes, the pick worked out fine. He's a competent NBA player. Holy cow. That's amazing for a 21st pick. If you redrafted the 2012 rookies, he'd go in the top 10 for sure.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:39:02 PM »

Offline ChainSmokingLikeDino

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 96

You take the best the best talent.  If Stevens can't handle him, fire him.  Or preferably just fire him because he's a subpar coach.

Keep on being you