Author Topic: ET experiment playing at the point should continue or stop?  (Read 9646 times)

Re: ET experiment playing at the point should continue or stop?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 01:19:19 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
Statistically, it is also true that the majority of Turner's passes go to the more veteran players: 20% to Sully; 13% to KO; 12% to Bradley and Bass; 11% to Zeller
Shockingly, these are the players he spends the most time on the floor with. Can't pass to the bench.

... well, you can, but it's just not a good idea.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 01:30:14 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
Statistically, it is also true that the majority of Turner's passes go to the more veteran players: 20% to Sully; 13% to KO; 12% to Bradley and Bass; 11% to Zeller
Shockingly, these are the players he spends the most time on the floor with. Can't pass to the bench.

Which is why, if you had bothered to fully quote the statement, I said you cant deduce much from that stat (other than the number to Smart would hopefully go up if he were on the floor with ET)!

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 01:31:46 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett

Which is why, if you had bothered to fully quote the statement, I said you cant deduce much from that stat (other than the number to Smart would hopefully go up if he were on the floor with ET)!
Sure. I was just addressing the general narrative, and grabbed a convenient post that seemed to have a breakdown of names.
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 01:39:54 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Sure. I was just addressing the general narrative, and grabbed a convenient post that seemed to have a breakdown of names.
Turner-Olynyk 450 minutes
Turner-Sullinger 612
Turner-Zeller 469
Turner Bradley - 585
Turner-Bass 526
Turner-Smart 249

Passes to Sully: 376 (0.61 passes per minute)
Passes to Smart: 76 (.305 passes per minute)

494% more passes to Sullinger than Smart
245% more minutes with Sullinger than Smart

It’s crazy (and awesome) that stats like this are available.  I still don’t read anything into this disparity.  The ball should naturally flow through Sully more IMO.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 01:45:26 PM »

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
Smart plays PG a fair share of the time. Consequently, he's more likely to have the ball in his hands to begin with, thus less opportunity for Turner to pass him the ball.

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 01:51:38 PM »

Offline littleteapot

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 93
For all the discussion about Smart's "natural" position, I don't see how anyone could look at Turner as a true point guard.

Let's start with just pure ball handling. How many starting point guards have worse handles than Turner? Maybe a few like George Hill but I bet I could name 25 starting PG's who are better ball handlers than Turner.

There are many point guards who suffer from the same turnover and overdribbling issues Turner has, but most of the starting ones like that are guys like Westbrook who more than make up for it with other talent.

Unless he either turns all his biggest weaknesses into strengths, or he learns to play off the ball AND guard bigger guys to be an effective 2, I don't see the case for him really being more than a combo guard off the bench, as someone previously said.
How do you feel about websites where people with similar interests share their opinions?
I'm forum!

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 01:57:01 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
For all the discussion about Smart's "natural" position, I don't see how anyone could look at Turner as a true point guard.

Let's start with just pure ball handling. How many starting point guards have worse handles than Turner? Maybe a few like George Hill but I bet I could name 25 starting PG's who are better ball handlers than Turner.

There are many point guards who suffer from the same turnover and overdribbling issues Turner has, but most of the starting ones like that are guys like Westbrook who more than make up for it with other talent.

Unless he either turns all his biggest weaknesses into strengths, or he learns to play off the ball AND guard bigger guys to be an effective 2, I don't see the case for him really being more than a combo guard off the bench, as someone previously said.

Agreed, but [dang], that's some shade to throw on George Hill.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 03:19:45 PM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
This is what one person commented  recently (after csnne article) regarding ET expiriment playing the point:

Still don't get why he plays the point...and he never passes to rookies. Always to Sullinger, his buddy.  Limited touches for everyone when he runs the point.  Sit him down and rest him and let Smart grow.  Hate Turner

Agree or disagree?
The numbers definitely back it up, but I never notice him showing bias.  It could be a consequence of the offense, but that's a bigger gap than I would have imagined.

This is a great post. I love the real numbers. TP
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 04:02:49 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

I'd say Dante Exum is the only one.  Not even George Hill.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 04:41:01 PM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
I would like to see Smart, Turner, Prince, Bass, and Sullinger.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:01 PM »

Offline Pucaccia

• NCE
  • Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 65
Turner has done an excellent job as a point guard. This is new position for him and as he develops he keeps getting better. He sets up a lot of players for very easy shots. He has been one of the bright spots on the team. I would like him to look for his shot more because he seems to be able to get his mid range jump shot any time he wants.

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 04:58:24 PM »

Offline JSD

• NCE
  • Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2156
DOS check you PM
The only color that matters is GREEN

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 05:08:47 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I don't mind Turner playing PG while we develop Smart. I understand Turner is not the PG of the future.
What's nice about Turner is he can play PG, SG, SF and he's only 25 years old. He plays these three positions pretty well. He's comfortable starting or coming off the bench.

Is he part of the future? At the price we pay him, yeah, why not. If we sign a "hot shot" PG, or SG or SF he can come off the bench, and do a pretty good job.

For right now, he righted the ship while the Celtics hopefully think, and plan about the future.   

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 05:09:47 PM »

Offline Celts Fan 508

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 54

He did cost the Pacers Leonard
2019 historical draft.  Pick 12

Tim Duncan, Oscar Robertson, Elgin Baylor, Scottie Pippen, Willis Reed, Mitch Richmond, Sam Jones, Dan Majerle, Bob Cousy, Rasheed Wallace, Shawn Kemp, Marcus Camby

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 05:22:25 PM »

Offline Asher77

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
It could be by design but I have noticed and commented before that Marcus is invisible on offense when playing the off guard next to Turner. I have not liked that pairing. Marcus should be manning the point when in the game. Not concerned with who is starting at this point.