Author Topic: ET experiment playing at the point should continue or stop?  (Read 9624 times)

ET experiment playing at the point should continue or stop?
« on: January 29, 2015, 10:01:50 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
This is what one person commented  recently (after csnne article) regarding ET expiriment playing the point:

Still don't get why he plays the point...and he never passes to rookies. Always to Sullinger, his buddy.  Limited touches for everyone when he runs the point.  Sit him down and rest him and let Smart grow.  Hate Turner

Agree or disagree?

Re: ET experiment playing at the point should continue or stop?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 10:03:41 AM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
Smart should be getting big minutes. Turner has no future on this team, and should be able to be moved easily with his low salary for next year.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 10:11:54 AM »

Online Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I think Smart should take over PG duties soon. I'd keep him on the bench for a few more games though. I really like how his confidence is building up. Almost there. Just a little longer.

Turner should slide over to SF to replace Crowder or to bench to be backup PG when Smart does takeover starting PG slot.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 10:13:11 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Disagree.  I don't think Turner's a future starting PG on a contending team, but he's a viable
PG on our current team.  Smart is getting better and may one day soon play Turner to the bench, but there's no reason not to let that happen organically, instead of forcing it.  Furthermore, Smart's shooting playing off the ball has really improved, while his shots off the dribble haven't.  There's value in letting Smart develop one portion of his game at a time instead of throwing everything at him all at once.

I also don't by random internet commenter's observation biased opinions that Turner only passes to Sullinger.  The data exists, and is easily demonstrable if true.  What is true is that Turner is on the floor with Sullinger more than any other player, but that's it.

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 10:22:36 AM »

Offline CFAN38

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 420
Just a statistical PG observation for the month of January.

Turner 28.5mpg 10.3pts 5.9ast 5.7rb 0.8stl 2.5to

Rondo 30mpg    8.5pts  6.6ast  5.3rb 1.5stl 2.8to

Smart  25mpg    7.7pts 4.3ast  2.4rb 1.1stl .9to

I think at this point his production makes this less of an experiment and more a utilization of talent with Turner. In College he was a PG and he was very effective. This lead to him being drafted #2. He is a player who needs the ball to be effective. The Cs have realized this and put him in a position to thrive. While this has come at the experience of Smart getting 100% control of the PG duties I don't think its a bad thing. Marcus is still getting his minutes and producing.

I cant help but think that this maybe Jordon Crawford 2.0. Like Evans he is a ball dominate player who stevens was able to polish for DA to trade. With the current PG injuries I wouldn't be surprised to see teams make offers for Evans who is still only 26 and on a cheap deal. On a playoff team he could fill the role as backup PG (or starter in detriot) while giving the team minutes at the 3. 
Mavs
Wiz
Hornet

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
The eyeball test tells me he is a walking Turnerover. I'd prefer Smart and Pressey.
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 11:23:33 AM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
He's a worse version of Tyreke Evans.
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 11:24:05 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
whoever bounces two low to zeller should get yanked,he is not flexible enough to catch those," get in the paint trapped skip bomb's"--give turner a summer and pre season and a set rotation- evan you got to work on this game or your on another journey-

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 12:16:17 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2951
He is a career back up combo guard .  A bench player who can fill in  a second string lineup or sub for injured starters .

Not good enough to be a 80 game starting guard for a contender

Maybe fills Celtics purpose at moment and as a trade asset to pick up another pick .

Danny is just rebuilding or saving his career , a project ,  to flip for a better pick or player down the road.

Another Craw project.     Build em up .....swap em for a better asset

He makes  a few good plays here and there....he is no where near consistent player a contender needs in the starting line up.     Shooting is too streaky for my tastes .

He is short term for the celtics .   Maybe sticks though next season as the rebuild continues.  That's about it. For ET as a Celtic
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 12:25:02 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 12:18:52 PM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1604
  • What a Pub Should Be
At PG?  No way.

Too turnover prone and his decision-making is questionable at best.  I'd much rather see Smart &(and to a lesser extent) Pressey handle PG duties for the time-being. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 12:19:22 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
Move him to SF to allow Smart to start.  Have the two of them share PG duties, slowly shifting more and more of the responsibility onto Smart.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 12:38:14 PM »

Offline Csfan1984

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 289
I don't believe he is a starting PG because of his passing but he isn't a terrible PG option. I like him playing "some" minutes at PG for a few reasons
1. Ability to drive and keep the dribble is good.
2. Pressure doesn't effect him.
3. Size mismatch.
4. Mid-range scoring in pick and pop.
5. Not selfish.
6. Plays with consistent effort.
7. Okay at the free throw line.
8. Most experienced ball handler on the team.
9. Adds a rebound boost to the lineup.
10. Can finish at the rim.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 12:55:20 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Move him to SF to allow Smart to start.  Have the two of them share PG duties, slowly shifting more and more of the responsibility onto Smart.

This TP!

I think Crowder does not deserve to start over Smart.   His playing more like a second round pick everyday.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 12:57:51 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is what one person commented  recently (after csnne article) regarding ET expiriment playing the point:

Still don't get why he plays the point...and he never passes to rookies. Always to Sullinger, his buddy.  Limited touches for everyone when he runs the point.  Sit him down and rest him and let Smart grow.  Hate Turner

Agree or disagree?
The numbers definitely back it up, but I never notice him showing bias.  It could be a consequence of the offense, but that's a bigger gap than I would have imagined.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 12:59:21 PM »

Offline Rick Robeys Return

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 35
  • The bringer of DJ
Disagree.  I don't think Turner's a future starting PG on a contending team, but he's a viable
PG on our current team.  Smart is getting better and may one day soon play Turner to the bench, but there's no reason not to let that happen organically, instead of forcing it.  Furthermore, Smart's shooting playing off the ball has really improved, while his shots off the dribble haven't.  There's value in letting Smart develop one portion of his game at a time instead of throwing everything at him all at once.

I also don't by random internet commenter's observation biased opinions that Turner only passes to Sullinger.  The data exists, and is easily demonstrable if true.  What is true is that Turner is on the floor with Sullinger more than any other player, but that's it.

I tend to agree with Saltlover. Smart is shooting oer 46% on catch and shoot 3pt shots, whereas he is under 30%off the dribble. See http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/203935/tracking/shots/

Turner may never be a starting pg on a contending team, but he definitely has a role as a back-up pg or secondary ball-handler. In fact, with the offense Brad Steven seems to want to run, it is important that there be more than one player with a handle to allow for secondary action off an initial pick and roll. Avery Bradley is clearly not that player. So i like the idea of seeing more of Turner and Smart together.

Statistically, it is also true that the majority of Turner's passes go to the more veteran players: 20% to Sully; 13% to KO; 12% to Bradley and Bass; 11% to Zeller with everyone else under 5%...but I'm not sure how much one can make of those stats, given the line-ups generally in use, other than to hope that a Turner/Smart line-up would hopefully see the passes to the rookie go up significantly...see http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/202323/tracking/passes/