Author Topic: Brad Stevens and developing talent?  (Read 3081 times)

Brad Stevens and developing talent?
« on: January 29, 2015, 08:21:19 AM »

Offline cman88

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 359
What is your opinion of Brad Stevens and the development of our rookies/sophmores? i have to say so far I am somewhat dissapointed in his love of playing veterans.

One, Marcus smart is NOT getting the minutes even though he has produced when on the court. This is our #6 pick. yet he is on the bench to guys who wont be on this team in the next year or two. I dont think it will necessarily help his development.

same goes with James Young

Re: Brad Stevens and developing talent?
« Reply #1 on: January 29, 2015, 08:38:34 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
Brad Stevens wants to win games.

Guys like Prince, Bass, and Thornton are more reliable from game to game and Brad knows what he can get out of them. That's why he plays the vets over the inconsistent and mostly lost James Young.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #2 on: January 29, 2015, 08:39:20 AM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2401
I am happy enough with how Stevens has handled Smart's minutes.

CBS started Smart for a couple of games. Smart played like crap. CBS put him back on the bench in a smaller role where Smart had less responsibility and pressure. Smart found his feet and has been steadily improving since then. Now Smart is putting up a strong claim to win back the starting PG position which I expect to happen soon. Probably in next few weeks.

I think Stevens has handled that situation very well.

« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2015, 09:03:37 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
I am happy enough with how Stevens has handled Smart's minutes.

CBS started Smart for a couple of games. Smart played like crap. CBS put him back on the bench in a smaller role where Smart had less responsibility and pressure. Smart found his feet and has been steadily improving since then. Now Smart is putting up a strong claim to win back the starting PG position which I expect to happen soon. Probably in next few weeks.

I think Stevens has handled that situation very well.

Well said TP !

« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2015, 09:16:44 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Celtics are having a ruff go of it finding hidden talent .....other than a few guard pick up .

Almost every team out drafts or rather OUT ScOUTS the Celtics ....something isn't right

Fire the talent scouts ....hire good ones from the Bulls and Spurs

« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2015, 09:36:50 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be
He's getting these guys to play hard night in & night out. 

It's a slow development but I'm happy for the most part.  He's trying to weigh winning a game along with development of the young guys.   You see a lot of guys going one way or another.  Stevens seems to be walking a fine line of balance. 

I just wish this team was a lot more talented. 

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2015, 09:49:04 AM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
I'm mostly ok with the developing of the young kids. He coaching a team that is really defensively flawed at the rim. He's starting 6' 8" Bass at center. Mostly to show case him, but seriously, we have no young center to even try to develop.

He has to keep DA and the fans happy.

He's doing fine.

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2015, 09:53:44 AM »

Offline Chris22

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 460
Brad is doing a very good job with a difficult situation.

I bet he wishes he had stayed at Butler.

« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2015, 10:20:07 AM »

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
I do not like or understand every single move he's made but I am happy with how he has handled the young players.

Smart is playing 22 MPG and will likely climb from this number. That's a good mark to me. He has been used on and off ball, has been shooting better and has less ill-advised shots than at the beginning of the year.

Young has played 89 min in total - 7.4 m per game played. To me he has not outplayed Avery, Thornton, Turner or other SGs and I do not believe he has to be force-fed minutes he does not deserve.

As the season progresses Brad has played him more. There was a stretch he played in 4-5 games in a row. I expect him to win more minutes as the season progresses.

I like the way Brad has handled ET the most. Turner is a few TOs less awas from becoming a useful player on both sides and that was in doubt at the beginning of the season. I believe a lot of this should be attributed to Brad.

At the same time I am a bit worried for Oly. I expected more steadiness this year and I believe to some extend Brad needs to put him in better situations - at least offensively.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2015, 10:29:42 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2450
I am very happy with how Smart is developing. I think Danny needs to trade Turner to further his development. As far as Young goes, I am not happy at all. There is no reason Thorton should be getting minutes over him.

***I'm also very pleased with Zeller's progress. He has turned into a very serviceable NBA big man. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2015, 10:34:59 AM »

Offline BleedGreen1989

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 568
I am very happy with how Smart is developing. I think Danny needs to trade Turner to further his development. As far as Young goes, I am not happy at all. There is no reason Thorton should be getting minutes over him.

***I'm also very pleased with Zeller's progress. He has turned into a very serviceable NBA big man.

I would argue Marcus is outplaying Young. That's why he's seeing more minutes.
*CB Miami Heat*
Kyle Lowry, Dwayne Wade, 13th pick in even numbered rounds, 18th pick in odd numbered rounds.

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 11:07:21 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

I would hope a NBA veteran making $8.6 million a year would be outplaying a rookie. And I'm not sure he is. Thorton has no future here. He really does not help the Celtics win games either. 
Once you are labeled 'the best' you want to stay up there, and you can't do it by loafing around.

Larry Bird

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 11:10:03 AM »

Offline Donoghus

• Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • What a Pub Should Be

I would hope a NBA veteran making $8.6 million a year would be outplaying a rookie. And I'm not sure he is. Thorton has no future here. He really does not help the Celtics win games either.

He's certainly in that mode of player that can shoot you in a game/shoot you out of a game.  Some of the shots he was throwing up last night were headscratching.

There was one particular shot that drove me nuts.  I think the Celts had pulled within 3 and they came down into the offensive end and Thornton immediately jacks up an off balance jumper from the extended elbow with about 19-20 seconds left on the shot clock. Of course, he was off and the TWolves grab the rebound.

Shots like that drive me nuts.

2010 CB Historical Draft - Best Overall Team

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 11:13:25 AM »

Offline Chief

• Robert Parish

He's certainly in that mode of player that can shoot you in a game/shoot you out of a game.  Some of the shots he was throwing up last night were headscratching.

There was one particular shot that drove me nuts.  I think the Celts had pulled within 3 and they came down into the offensive end and Thornton immediately jacks up an off balance jumper from the extended elbow with about 19-20 seconds left on the shot clock. Of course, he was off and the TWolves grab the rebound.

Shots like that drive me nuts.

TP. Me too.

Larry Bird

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 11:27:22 AM »

Offline clover

• Front Page Moderator
  • Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 315

I'm with ya, Chief. Unless Young is slacking on his training and outside efforts to improve--which IMO reflects poorly on his coach, this late into his rookie year--he should have been getting minutes.

Wiggins wasn't outplaying anyone in the league for his first couple of minutes, but the investment in his playing time is now richly reaping rewards.

Last night Max and Grande were disagreeing on this, with Grande claiming that time in the d-league was sufficient for Young's development at this point, and Max (who has a little more direct experience with this) insisting that playing time at the NBA level was the best way for Young to really learn at this point.