Author Topic: Rumor Reggie jackson almost traded to denver?  (Read 11995 times)

Re: Rumor Reggie jackson almost traded to denver?
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 02:08:06 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Hey everyone, tip crownontherocks with a TP, why don't ya. It seems like he's the first to post half of the reports on this forum.

I just want to know where he got his avatar, lol. ;D 

As for Jackson, I know that he's a good player, and he certainly performed extremely well in the playoffs last year (especially against the Grizzlies), but do we really want him?  I just don't see him as a cornerstone type, which is what we desperately need right now, imo.

Edit: okay, so he'll be 25 in April.  Pass.  At least he's an expiring, but why not try to get Jeremy Lamb?  He's not playing at all.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 03:26:55 AM »

Offline LooseCannon

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 950
From our perspective, Jackson does seem to be good fit for this roster on paper, and it would be nice to see him in action for half a season before commiting to a massive extension.

I think his 29% career 3-point percentage makes him a bad fit for what Stevens seems to want to do with this roster.  Plus, OKC seems to think that Dion Waiters is less of a defensive liability.
"The worst thing that ever happened in sports was sports radio, and the internet is sports radio on steroids with lower IQs.” -- Brian Burke, former Toronto Maple Leafs senior adviser, at the 2013 MIT Sloan Sports Analytics Conference

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 03:50:09 AM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
From our perspective, Jackson does seem to be good fit for this roster on paper, and it would be nice to see him in action for half a season before committing to a massive extension.

I think his 29% career 3-point percentage makes him a bad fit for what Stevens seems to want to do with this roster.  Plus, OKC seems to think that Dion Waiters is less of a defensive liability.

Fair point, ya I didn't realize he was that cold for his career, just always thought he could develop into a great shooter. Last year in the playoffs he shot .396 from 3(admittedly after a lackluster .339 in the regular season) and at BC his Junior season he knocked down .410 from 3(although not exactly in a power conference).

He's also close to automatic from the free throw line at times for what it's worth, and has never shot below 84%. Just seems like the type of player that you could get more out of in a different situation.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 06:38:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 885
Bradley, Prince / Bass and pick(s)  for Perkins and Jackson.  This is what we should do now to solve the lack of attacking players. Then add bigs later.  OKC could use bradley for defense and Prince and Bass for depth.

Not sure if it works but sub in any combo of players and picks. Dont think we are doing much better than Jackson to pair with Smart.

I like this trade; We add perk (a center - albeit a slow moving behemoth) and Reggie Jackson (who can be paired with Smaht); And we get rid of Kobe Bradley;

Would love to see this trade. Let Jackson become our go to PG of the future and let Smart play alongside him at the two.

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 07:46:17 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
What about Jackson's contract though?

« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2015, 08:06:42 AM »

Offline spikelovetheCelts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 113
  • Peace it's a board. We all will never agree.
Bradley, Prince / Bass and pick(s)  for Perkins and Jackson.  This is what we should do now to solve the lack of attacking players. Then add bigs later.  OKC could use bradley for defense and Prince and Bass for depth.

Not sure if it works but sub in any combo of players and picks. Dont think we are doing much better than Jackson to pair with Smart.

I like this trade; We add perk (a center - albeit a slow moving behemoth) and Reggie Jackson (who can be paired with Smaht); And we get rid of Kobe Bradley;

Would love to see this trade. Let Jackson become our go to PG of the future and let Smart play alongside him at the two.
We can just sign him as a free agent and lose nothing. I would rather go for Thomas since he is under contract.
"People look at players, watch them dribble between their legs and they say, 'There's a superstar.'  Well John Havlicek is a superstar, and most of the others are figments of writers' imagination."
--Jerry West, on John Havlicek

« Reply #21 on: January 29, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones

We can just sign him as a free agent and lose nothing. I would rather go for Thomas since he is under contract.

Losing Bradley would be the equivalent to losing nothing.

« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 08:34:03 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Just curious for the Reggie Jackson fans out there -- what does he bring that Evan Turner hasn't brought this year?  He scores more, but he seems to shoot more (which also seems to be why OKC is willing to move on).  A bit better at free throws, although Turner gets to the line at a higher rate, but worse at 3-pointers, and passing is a bit of a wash (fewer assists but fewer turnovers).  They get to the rim at about the same rate and shoot roughly the same percentage when they get there (which happens to be a little worse than the much-maligned Bradley).  But say we got Jackson to run the point -- how much better would this team be, if at all?  It's fine for people here to want to exile Bradley, but Jackson wouldn't be stepping into Bradley's role, he'd be stepping into Turner's.

My point isn't to say that Turner is amazing.  But he's been serviceable, and is under contract next year at a bargain rate for his production -- how does Jackson get us that giant step forward we need, if he's largely going to take Turner's role on the team?

« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 08:53:23 AM »

Offline pearljammer10

• K.C. Jones
Just curious for the Reggie Jackson fans out there -- what does he bring that Evan Turner hasn't brought this year?  He scores more, but he seems to shoot more (which also seems to be why OKC is willing to move on).  A bit better at free throws, although Turner gets to the line at a higher rate, but worse at 3-pointers, and passing is a bit of a wash (fewer assists but fewer turnovers).  They get to the rim at about the same rate and shoot roughly the same percentage when they get there (which happens to be a little worse than the much-maligned Bradley).  But say we got Jackson to run the point -- how much better would this team be, if at all?  It's fine for people here to want to exile Bradley, but Jackson wouldn't be stepping into Bradley's role, he'd be stepping into Turner's.

My point isn't to say that Turner is amazing.  But he's been serviceable, and is under contract next year at a bargain rate for his production -- how does Jackson get us that giant step forward we need, if he's largely going to take Turner's role on the team?

Are we really comparing Jackson to Turner?

Jackson is a true point guard, something Evan Turner is not in any way shape or form. Jackson is ready to take his own to under control and get his minutes and his payday. He could be a starting PG in this league for the next ten years. Turner is already a journeyman on a cheap contract.

I'm not a huge Jackson supporter and wouldn't sell the farm to get him but for the right deal and or money, I would be happy with him taking over the reigns as our teams starting PG in this rebuild.

« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 09:10:56 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Jackson is a true point guard, something Evan Turner is not in any way shape or form. Jackson is ready to take his own to under control and get his minutes and his payday. He could be a starting PG in this league for the next ten years. Turner is already a journeyman on a cheap contract.

I'm not a huge Jackson supporter and wouldn't sell the farm to get him but for the right deal and or money, I would be happy with him taking over the reigns as our teams starting PG in this rebuild.

I've never thought I'd see the words Reggie Jackson and true point guard in the same sentence.

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 09:29:13 AM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

For a true point guard, his assist rate is pretty sad, and less than Turner's.  I don't for a second think that Turner is a "true point guard", but he's functioning as one reasonably well in Stevens' offense.  I mean, he was brought in to back up Jeff Green -- that he resembles a point guard at all is pretty impressive after half a season.  On the other hand, OKC seems fed up enough with Jackson's shot selection that they'd prefer Dion Waiters, who does not have the greatest reputation for shot selection.  Durant does not have LeBron's reputation for getting down on his teammates, but he seems pretty done with Jackson at this point.

Jackson has developed a reputation as a shoot-first, pass-second type of player, which doesn't seem to be what Stevens is looking for.  I see Turner as a placeholder for someone better -- I'm just not convinced Jackson is appreciably better at that role to be viably considered as a major upgrade.

« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 09:31:13 AM »

Offline marlon.oddo

• Xavier Tillman
  • Tommy Points: 3
I'm a RJ supporter and have advocated for trading for him.  He is not a true PG but he is a PG in today's NBA-in the Westbrook/Kyrie mold.  He is a scorer first.  When starting this year, he averaged 17/5 in Nov.  He makes shots.

However, I'm not sure that we're a good trade partner.  We don't have anything other than picks to offer for Jackson alone.  For the people pointing out the good things that Perk does, OKC needs exactly that.  Perk springs their shooters loose and in a conference where you have to go against Gasol/Randolph, Griffin/Jordan, you need good defensive bigs.  Now that OKC has Waiters, I don't think they would want Bradley. If we don't get Reggie, I'm ok if he goes to Denver, since they won't be a threat for a long time.

« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 09:43:39 AM »

Offline Fafnir

• Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 1327
I'm a RJ supporter and have advocated for trading for him.  He is not a true PG but he is a PG in today's NBA-in the Westbrook/Kyrie mold.  He is a scorer first.  When starting this year, he averaged 17/5 in Nov.  He makes shots.
Does he make shots? A big problem for OKC is that teams don't guard Jackson/Roberson when they are off the ball.

I feel like Jackson is more of a Darren Collison type rather than a James Harden.

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 09:56:37 AM »

Offline moiso

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 441
Reggie Jackson is one of the most overrated players in the league right now.  He is an ok backup point guard and a below average starter.

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 10:09:52 AM »

Offline P stoff

• Brad Stevens
  • Tommy Points: 31
People try to compare assist rates etc on an OKC team that is markedly different from our own. Durant /Westbrook dont need people to set them up,  so you would expect Jackson to have less assists. While not a great shooter, he would give this team what it NEEDS, which is a guy who can get to the rim, draw fouls, and break defenders down. There's a reason we dont shoot freethrows much folks.

And losing Bradley/Prince/Bass and giving RJ what constitutes as a half year tryout does not alter the future plans one bit... unless you think Bradley is the future. If Jackson plays great then we have our guy...and if not, we lose guys we would have traded anyway. We still could draft, trade or buy a FA (and have ABs salary off the books. I think its more likely that Jackson gives us more overall push offensively, and it allows Turner to play at the SF (or backup the SG/SF spot for flexibility). Smart/Jackson/Turner can all create off the dribble.