Author Topic: a commitment by young to play d-  (Read 2268 times)

a commitment by young to play d-
« on: January 28, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
Young needs coacing on d ,drills and more drills,and more coaching,.And as much playing time as possible and did i miss the gym.He needs to play for red claws as well as practise with celts and play home games.I recently watched a documentary on karl malone,just like kobe,if you want to be great it takes effort and desire--does young have that or do we see a smug shooter who doesn't want to
 fight over screens or dive for loose balls-you tell me --
if he wants to just skate  should danny trade him to move up in draft
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 11:53:35 AM by rollie mass »

Re: a commitment by young to play d-
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2015, 12:01:52 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
With a year under belt-What is james young trade value?if he has stayed in school he certainly would have gone higher.He would be nice trade bait to move up OR A west coast team would love him.

« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
Young needs coacing on d ,drills and more drills,and more coaching,.And as much playing time as possible and did i miss the gym.He needs to play for red claws as well as practise with celts and play home games.I recently watched a documentary on karl malone,just like kobe,if you want to be great it takes effort and desire--does young have that or do we see a smug shooter who doesn't want to
 fight over screens or dive for loose balls-you tell me --
if he wants to just skate  should danny trade him to move up in draft
do my eyes deceive me? did rollie actually create paragraphs?  ;)

yes, young needs a lot of work to develop his defensive skills. luckily, he is VERY young and CBS is a great coach. so, let's cross our fingers and hope for the best.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2015, 12:45:31 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would make Marcus Smart his coach in this regard.

« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2015, 12:48:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I dunno about the topic, but I think I'm going to start describing bad defenders as "playing D-"

« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2015, 01:10:20 PM »

Offline loco_91

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 145
I would make Marcus Smart his coach in this regard.
+1. Got to think that the other young guys see Smart's intensity on that end and it motivates them. I just wish we got to see Smart play with KG...

« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2015, 01:29:15 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
back in the days,the celtics stars had to hustle for money ,sam jones came to lexington high and gave a shooting presentation,he must of hit 100 bank shots and then they brought out a sheet with a small hole and he then picked up a racquet and hit like 50 serves through that hole.The point is there are people with unbelivable skills but they work at them,defense takes heart as well as skill and it can be taught.Prince can teach him how to survive without having bulk but this guy needs coaching and techniques and drills and coaching.He missed summer league,pre-season and has only several games with red claws.Tommy gunner says he's a star and he should know.

« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2015, 05:14:33 PM »

Offline Rosco917

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 559
With a year under belt-What is james young trade value?if he has stayed in school he certainly would have gone higher.He would be nice trade bait to move up OR A west coast team would love him.

I don't know if I'd go that far just yet.
Right now is a transitional time for him, he most likely is waiting to be shipped back to the D-League for more playing time.

Then he goes to the D-League and lights the place up.

I'd really like to see more of him with the Celtics, and I'm not talking 6-8 minutes a game.

« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »

Offline TheFlex

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 367
I think all indications are that Young is a hard worker.

"I think it speaks to the impact of being able to go back and forth to Maine and keep his game sharp as he waited his turn and got through some injuries. I thought he did a good job,” Stevens said.

"All the hard work he’s been putting in throughout the couple weeks is finally showing," teammate Jared Sullinger added. "I’m so proud and happy for him, and the best is yet to come.”

- http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2320509-james-young-flashes-potential-during-career-night-for-celtics

I would take him off the table right now if I'm DA. His value is arguably the lowest its going to be at any point over the course of his rookie contract. It wouldn't make sense to sell low on a guy like Young, who could be a real contributor to this young team in year 2 of his career.

P.S. Waiting for someone to say "What does Sully know about hard work?"  ::)

Draft: 8 first rounders in next 5 years.

Cap space: $24 mil.

https://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague/

« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2015, 05:34:49 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Did Tony Allen have the same college coach as Marcus Smart?  If so, that guy must be one hell of a defensive teacher.

« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2015, 05:56:13 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
Young actually looked quite a bit better on the defensive end the last game he received some minutes. I forgot which game it was, but he had a much better time of staying in front of his man. I know it's a small sample size, but hopefully it's a trend upwards.

« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2015, 07:23:41 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
Young actually looked quite a bit better on the defensive end the last game he received some minutes. I forgot which game it was, but he had a much better time of staying in front of his man. I know it's a small sample size, but hopefully it's a trend upwards.
He's moved his feet well in each of the last 3 or 4 games he's played in.  Just needs reps.