Author Topic: Dallas forums now looking Like Boston Forums  (Read 20042 times)

Re: Dallas forums now looking Like Boston Forums
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 03:36:10 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
If you actually watch the games, they have multiple problems and little to do with Rondo. Yes, the offense has declined, but Rondo's defense has more than offset that. They don't have constant bench production which is hurting them.

Rondo has actually played well for them but he's the new kid so an inordinate amount of attention has been placed on him. I watched a lot of Dallas prior to the trade and a lot after the trade - he's helped their defense tremendously, but they still lack a wing defender that can guard bigger 2's and 3's. Chandler Parsons is an okay defender, but they need someone stronger there. It could be Aminu off the bench, but he can't seem to keep a spot in the rotation due to his lack of offense - maybe they should abandon hope of him developing a jumpshot and put him with a big man this offseason who can show him some post moves. He's too big, athletic, and defensively aggressive to have Richard Jefferson take minutes away from him.

They're rebounding is horrid. Tyson and Rondo are frequently the only Dallas players who actively seek rebounds (Aminu does as well when he plays) but they get killed by good rebounding teams like Memphis. I can't count how many good defensive possessions they spoil because no one can secure the rebound. Their best hope for improvement in season is Chandler Parsons stepping up his rebounding game.

It sounds to me like the answer is:

Give Al Farouq more minutes. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 03:39:46 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403
One of the many benefits to trading Rondo was that we don't have to talk about him every darn day anymore... but yet we still have to talk about him every day. That -- like Rondo -- is annoying.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 04:08:27 PM »

Offline wiley

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 386
If you actually watch the games, they have multiple problems and little to do with Rondo. Yes, the offense has declined, but Rondo's defense has more than offset that. They don't have constant bench production which is hurting them.

Rondo has actually played well for them but he's the new kid so an inordinate amount of attention has been placed on him. I watched a lot of Dallas prior to the trade and a lot after the trade - he's helped their defense tremendously, but they still lack a wing defender that can guard bigger 2's and 3's. Chandler Parsons is an okay defender, but they need someone stronger there. It could be Aminu off the bench, but he can't seem to keep a spot in the rotation due to his lack of offense - maybe they should abandon hope of him developing a jumpshot and put him with a big man this offseason who can show him some post moves. He's too big, athletic, and defensively aggressive to have Richard Jefferson take minutes away from him.

They're rebounding is horrid. Tyson and Rondo are frequently the only Dallas players who actively seek rebounds (Aminu does as well when he plays) but they get killed by good rebounding teams like Memphis. I can't count how many good defensive possessions they spoil because no one can secure the rebound. Their best hope for improvement in season is Chandler Parsons stepping up his rebounding game.

Good post!  Rondo is not their problem.  They should stop their addiction to a wonderful and pretty offense and trade Parsons for some quality physicality.  There are teams out there with good physical 3's and 4's to spare who could use Parson's offense.  Too bad Monroe is not easily traded because Detroit could trade him and filler for Parsons and get back a little something extra from Dallas (Ledo?)

Toronto has and abundance (James Johnson, Terrence Ross and X for Parsons).....(Patrick Patterson and Landry Fields for Parsons?).....(Parsons to LA for Jordan Hill, Wes. Johnson and Nick Young?)

EDIT:  Another trade, with Portland: 

Parsons, Aminu and Charlie V.  for Dorell Wright, Kaman, T. Robinson, C. McCollum and Portland's first round pick.  Not sure if the Blazers can afford that for next year though...
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 04:19:00 PM by wiley »

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 05:12:35 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1408
  • Let's Go Celtics!

It sounds to me like the answer is:

Give Al Farouq more minutes.

They really should - especially when they rest Tyson and have Dirk in the game. I can understand his lack of any sort of offensive game is an issue, but he's a guy that can immediately help defensively and with rebounding. Quite frankly, they need all the rebounding help they can get.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 05:40:01 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
One of the many benefits to trading Rondo was that we don't have to talk about him every darn day anymore... but yet we still have to talk about him every day. That -- like Rondo -- is annoying.

Was he annoying as our starting PG in 07-08? Or was he annoying in 08-09 (as he and Perk steeped up valiantly with the loss of KG and Powe). Or was he annoying during our miraculous run in 09-10?

Sounds like a toothache, then  ;D :)

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 05:49:16 PM »

Offline ssspence

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 403

Was he annoying as our starting PG in 07-08? Or was he annoying in 08-09 (as he and Perk steeped up valiantly with the loss of KG and Powe). Or was he annoying during our miraculous run in 09-10?

He was kinda annoying then, yeah. Doc didn't like him, Ray didn't like him, he pouted when he didn't get love, he pouted when his pal Perk got traded, etc.

But he was a better player who fit his role, and a less jaded person. Now he's pretty much exclusively about himself.
Mike

(My name is not Mike)

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 05:51:29 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32

I've watched a bunch of their games and you're right about the bench. Losing Brandan Wright and Crowder were significant losses.

However, Rondo's defense hasn't been that great. It's been above average per Spor**** (http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/200765/tracking/defense/?Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season) and his box score stats, but there's only so much a point guard can do defensively. And I think having a complete non-entity on offense outweighs any defense he brings to the table.

If you count games as a Dallas Maverick, his defense has actually been pretty good, especially his defense of the 3pt line

http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/200765/tracking/defense/?DateFrom=12%2F20%2F2014

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 06:02:32 PM »

Offline inverselock

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 44
Dirk's defense is a liability.  He can't defend anyone.

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 06:25:11 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Mavs aren't winning no title .

Dirk is too old ...he sucks at everything but shooting.......and his years are really numbered . 7 ft zero defense and slow and lumbering like a stork with a lame leg .

Meh......Dirk the all around player is cooked .  ..... Not enough in the tank to beat the Hawks or Warriors

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 06:55:30 PM »

Offline Who

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2404
It is amazing to see how much harder it has become to have poor to bad shooters in your lineup versus just a few short seasons ago.

Offenses have changed so much in short space of time.

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 07:00:56 PM »

Offline mr. dee

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 598
Mavs aren't winning no title .

Dirk is too old ...he sucks at everything but shooting.......and his years are really numbered . 7 ft zero defense and slow and lumbering like a stork with a lame leg .

Meh......Dirk the all around player is cooked .  ..... Not enough in the tank to beat the Hawks or Warriors

Those teams are made for regular season. I'm not convinced that Warriors will keep their shooting streak in the playoffs. They are pretty much like the Knicks two years ago, relying too much on outside shooting. Their bigs aren't really that great at defending the paint either.

The hawks, pretty much of annual first-rounder. The might get far this year, but I wouldn't count out veteran teams like Cavs and Miami. They are starting to turn it around.

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 11:24:24 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
It's only growing louder. At least he's trying though. Imagine they're despair if he were playing as lackadaisical as he was here.

http://mavericks.scout.com/forums/2144-mavericks-discussion/13610284-game-thread-mavs-rockets-jan-28th-7pm-c?s=268&page=42

--- TheSportyChannel wrote:

I wish we could redo the trade with the Celtics. I really do. I miss Brandan Wright and Jae f'ing Crowder so much. Plus it was nice to see the development of Brandan Wright and how he progressed every season. Jae Crowder also became a top defender for us.Those were mav type of players

Rondo is not

---------------------------------------------

I hate to say that I agree with you. I thought the trade was a big win for us and I have been thinking Rondo just needs more time. But I was wrong. BWright and JCrowder brought energy, enthusiasm, and excitement. They were like able guys and fun to root for and blended well on the team. Rondo is not. We thought we got better with this trade, but I starting to think not only was it not a wash, we have in fact gotten worse. Mavs basketball doesn't seem like the brand we've come to expect.

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 11:31:49 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
It's only growing louder. At least he's trying though. Imagine they're despair if he were playing as lackadaisical as he was here.

http://mavericks.scout.com/forums/2144-mavericks-discussion/13610284-game-thread-mavs-rockets-jan-28th-7pm-c?s=268&page=42

--- TheSportyChannel wrote:

I wish we could redo the trade with the Celtics. I really do. I miss Brandan Wright and Jae f'ing Crowder so much. Plus it was nice to see the development of Brandan Wright and how he progressed every season. Jae Crowder also became a top defender for us.Those were mav type of players

Rondo is not

---------------------------------------------

I hate to say that I agree with you. I thought the trade was a big win for us and I have been thinking Rondo just needs more time. But I was wrong. BWright and JCrowder brought energy, enthusiasm, and excitement. They were like able guys and fun to root for and blended well on the team. Rondo is not. We thought we got better with this trade, but I starting to think not only was it not a wash, we have in fact gotten worse. Mavs basketball doesn't seem like the brand we've come to expect.

Okay, so I did say this shortly after the trade went down, but I'll ask again - by the end of the season, which ex-Celtic will have performed better in Dallas: Rondo or Antoine?

Sidebar - those Mavs fans are idiots. 

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 11:34:53 PM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Dirk's defense is a liability.  He can't defend anyone.

Could he ever really guard anyone?  This is a serious question, btw.  I never understood why teams didn't attack him more, especially if they had a great post player like KG, Sheed, C-Webb, Pau and Bynum, etc.  It's not like Dirk was ever going to block their shot, lol. ;D

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 11:54:36 PM »

Offline Rondo9

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 277

He was kinda annoying then, yeah. Doc didn't like him, Ray didn't like him, he pouted when he didn't get love, he pouted when his pal Perk got traded, etc.

But he was a better player who fit his role, and a less jaded person. Now he's pretty much exclusively about himself.

I thought the only person who didn't like him was Ray.