Author Topic: Dallas forums now looking Like Boston Forums  (Read 19975 times)

Re: Dallas forums now looking Like Boston Forums
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 01:07:58 PM »

Offline Asher77

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 20
I agree with the above post. I watched the Dallas/Memphis game last night and the dysfunction was obvious. It is not only Rondo but he is one of the issues. They are an aging team with a thin bench. Monta is trying to carry the team with hero ball and that style is for .500 teams, not champions.

I think Rondo thought the grass would be greener in Dallas and is realizing this is not the cake walk he assumed. Rondo is not a just fit in kind of guy, he needs to play with intensity and an edge to be effective. Right now that's missing for the whole team.

In the playoffs Dirk might raise his game and Rondo as well. That might make them dangerous but it is a risk to assume they will be able to turn it on.

« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 01:08:33 PM »

Offline Fred Roberts

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 102
Rondo is a playoff animal. He will change games when the games count.

Rondo is pure regular season frustration. Plain and simple. He turns off the intensity and his weaknesses are highlighted.

Dallas fans must deal with this. I don't feel sorry for them. They got Rondo for nothing.

« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 01:29:02 PM »

Offline bobbyv

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 32
If you actually watch the games, they have multiple problems and little to do with Rondo. Yes, the offense has declined, but Rondo's defense has more than offset that. They don't have constant bench production which is hurting them.

« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 01:30:59 PM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975

Rondo is pure regular season frustration. Plain and simple. He turns off the intensity and his weaknesses are highlighted.

Dallas fans must deal with this. I don't feel sorry for them. They got Rondo for nothing.

That's the problem, he's actually trying. The effort, unlike most regular season games with us, is consistently there.

« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 01:47:39 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961

Well.....they only GOT him for a few months rental.    They paid out the WAZOO for hired gun, that may want far more money than he is worth to extent and he may just hit the road for greener pastures no matter what they offer....LA can pay more

At this point ,  i m totally under whelmed with the "play off Rondo". ..mumbo jumbo....ol wife's tale...

He was a lot younger and less injured during the days he played hero for the Celtics.

I think what you see is what you get.    He has played 100% with Mavs .   It isn't going to get any better .   What did they expect?  He is not Harden or CP3

He goofed off on the Celtics most of the time before being traded.

I don't think a playoff Rondo exists anymore ......it's a delusion of a bunch for blind Rondo followers who refuse to wake up and realize this is n't 2008 .......

Rondo ....meh

« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:53:53 PM by SHAQATTACK »

« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 01:57:51 PM »

Offline MBunge

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 471
If you actually watch the games, they have multiple problems and little to do with Rondo. Yes, the offense has declined, but Rondo's defense has more than offset that. They don't have constant bench production which is hurting them.

Dallas' starters actually equaled the Griz' starters in points at 66 each.  It's the Mavs' bench that got completely outclassed.

I think it says something about the NBA under the new salary structure.  You wouldn't think trading away players like Nelson, Wright and Crowder would really have that big an impact but very few teams have any real depth anymore unless they've got young guys on their rookie deals.

Mike

« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 02:04:36 PM »

Offline Kuberski33

• Tiny Archibald
  • Tommy Points: 533

Dallas' starters actually equaled the Griz' starters in points at 66 each.  It's the Mavs' bench that got completely outclassed.

I think it says something about the NBA under the new salary structure.  You wouldn't think trading away players like Nelson, Wright and Crowder would really have that big an impact but very few teams have any real depth anymore unless they've got young guys on their rookie deals.

Mike
Interesting point.  The Rondo trade did affect the Mavs depth, that was mentioned at the time.

« Reply #22 on: January 28, 2015, 02:15:10 PM »

Offline banty19

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 25

I've watched a bunch of their games and you're right about the bench. Losing Brandan Wright and Crowder were significant losses.

However, Rondo's defense hasn't been that great. It's been above average per Spor**** (http://stats.nba.com/player/#!/200765/tracking/defense/?Season=2014-15&SeasonType=Regular%20Season) and his box score stats, but there's only so much a point guard can do defensively. And I think having a complete non-entity on offense outweighs any defense he brings to the table.

« Reply #23 on: January 28, 2015, 02:38:36 PM »

Offline GreenFaith1819

• NCE
  • Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 2785
Just give it time, DAL.

Get to 50+ wins and shore up that bench a bit. Don't be so fast to judgement. Championships are won in June, not Jan.

Zach Randolph is playing out of his mind right now...can't miss. He's a top PF anyway, but he's been on a particularly nasty streak of late.

He buried several J's in Tyson's grill last night...just solid D, but better O.

If DAL draws the Clips, HOU or GSW in the 1s round, they'll get to the 2nd round. Rotations get even smaller, stars shift to 2nd and 3rd gear, and it all settles out.

CHI beat GSW last night in Cali, without Butler. Joakim and Pau did considerable damage inside, exposing their porous interior.

GSW, HOU nor the Clips have any answer for Playoff Dirk, and Tyson will cause problems for them, too.

Dirk is older, but I marvel at what he did in 2010-11...I believe he has one, maybe two more runs in him like that.

Stop panicking, DAL :)

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »

Offline makaveli

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 320
  • The Truth
i see him opting out, and then pulling a Melo, max deal in orlando, philly or something
what doesn't kill you makes you stronger

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 02:57:46 PM »

Offline RJ87

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1406
  • Let's Go Celtics!

Rondo has actually played well for them but he's the new kid so an inordinate amount of attention has been placed on him. I watched a lot of Dallas prior to the trade and a lot after the trade - he's helped their defense tremendously, but they still lack a wing defender that can guard bigger 2's and 3's. Chandler Parsons is an okay defender, but they need someone stronger there. It could be Aminu off the bench, but he can't seem to keep a spot in the rotation due to his lack of offense - maybe they should abandon hope of him developing a jumpshot and put him with a big man this offseason who can show him some post moves. He's too big, athletic, and defensively aggressive to have Richard Jefferson take minutes away from him.

They're rebounding is horrid. Tyson and Rondo are frequently the only Dallas players who actively seek rebounds (Aminu does as well when he plays) but they get killed by good rebounding teams like Memphis. I can't count how many good defensive possessions they spoil because no one can secure the rebound. Their best hope for improvement in season is Chandler Parsons stepping up his rebounding game.
2021 Houston Rockets
PG: Kyrie Irving/Patty Mills/Jalen Brunson
SG: OG Anunoby/Norman Powell/Matisse Thybulle
SF: Gordon Hayward/Demar Derozan
PF: Giannis Antetokounmpo/Robert Covington
C: Kristaps Porzingis/Bobby Portis/James Wiseman

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 03:00:40 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
The bench production problem is also linked to the trade as they gave up 3 guys for 2, and Powell is a stretch as a rotation guy this early in his career.

While I have always said I won't judge the trade until the playoffs, Rondo's FT% is devastating to his value on offense. When you can intentionally foul the PG so that the expected outcome is .5 points per possession, there is a major problem. Add to that a loss of aggressiveness by Rondo and defenses can cheat all sorts of ways.

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 03:03:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
i see him opting out, and then pulling a Melo, max deal in orlando, philly or something
Melo has yet to leave a team as a free agent.

I don't see anyone signing Rondo to a max deal. Rondo would have to dominate the rest of the season and the playoffs to get a max deal. What is his max? 18 or 19 million?

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:11 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I have to agree with the first post from that Dallas link regarding Rondo not making the easy pass. I remember watching Kidd on Dallas and on other teams and Kidd was quick to kick the ball ahead to teammates to keep pressure on the defense. I don't remember seeing Kidd waste fast breaks because he wanting to dribble the ball around his back instead of feeding it to his teammate on a 2 on 1.

Perhaps it is unfair comparing Rondo to a 30+ Kidd. I actually don't remember details of Kidd's NJ years, for example.

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 03:09:17 PM »

Offline danglertx

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 210
Dallas, like Spurs, is a team more suited for playoff style basketball. Or at least, better suited for that style than other teams. And honestly, not related to this Rondo thread, that forum is by far the worst sports forum I have ever read. EVER.

I mean, at one point these kind of threads and posts were created for Dirk. They started calling him a scrub, called for his retirement, etc. Some posters there are still bashing Monta Ellis after everything he's done for them this season. Basically every player outside of Tyson is called out.

So a lot like here?

Eh, I never really saw anybody around here calling Pierce washed up or a scrub -  there was some criticism but usually really specific and situational (stop taking isos in crunch time! etc).

Only because he got traded.  If he were on this team right now.... ?