Author Topic: With deflategate dying down, media manufactures new scandal regarding Blount  (Read 18980 times)

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294
yesterday on around the horn they were comparing Browner saying they should go after Sherman's arm to bountygate .....

Because Sherman was offering to pay his team-mates for hits on Sherman? Totally different. But hey, I bet it made for good circus on around the horn...
I assume he wasn't going to pay for getting hit himself. :P
"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Online Roy H.

• Forums Manager
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: -25628
  • Bo Knows: Joe Don't Know Diddley
This stuff goes on all the time.  Even though there are rules against tampering, I'm sure agents are constantly checking around the league to know if their guy has a landing spot.

If Blount sought his release from a situation he was miserable in to move on to a better one, I've got no problem with that, especially with the risk associated (i.e., getting claimed via waivers).

I'M THE SILVERBACK GORILLA IN THIS MOTHER——— AND DON'T NONE OF YA'LL EVER FORGET IT!@ 34 minutes

Offline GratefulCs

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 496
  • Salmon and Mashed Potatoes
Really. I'm not really sure how you can say this on SB media day... but it must be a really slow week.

Sunday can't come soon enough.
Total cheaters! If it ain't the cowboys or lakers winning all the time, then they're cheaters!

Edit: whoops, I quoted the wrong one, but you get the point, ha

I gotta get better at this whole blog game!
I trust Danny Ainge

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
Word is that Tom Brady has a cold.
I can see the next scandal now, when he and other Patriots are tested positive for something in a cold medicine they are taking....
Celtics fan for life.

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2484
Brady is a cheater that simply canNOT win fairly withOUT gaining unfair advantages!!

http://www.wnd.com/2015/01/patriots-nearly-fumble-proof-after-brady-rule-change/?cat_orig=diversions

I am sure I just made a LOT of friends on this board:-)))))))))))))))))

Smitty77

i know i shouldn't feed the trolls, but i have to get something off my chest.
why is it so hard for football fans to comprehend the pats' history of style of play and how it has affected their performance?

pats had an elite defense in brady's first 5 years or so. there wasn't much offensive talent, however, which is why brady initially didn't get his due from the media. the pats fumbled more. they scored less. the INT/TD ratio wasn't amazing. that's what happens when you have way more talent on defense than offense.

that D, along with an elite QB, was the recipe for championships.

anyways, after a disastrous end to the season in 2006, in which their best receiver was a scrub named reche caldwell, the pats get a ton of extra talent and become an offensive juggernaut in 2007, much like manning's colts. they subsequently don't need to fight for extra yards as often and don't fumble or turn the ball over much, also like manning's colts, who had an even lower fumble rate than the pats (oops, does that spoil your cheating theory?). the pats lose a squeaker to an inspired giants team in a super bowl which could have gone either way.

fast forward to 2008, and many of the elite defensive players have retired, and the secondary is especially decimated. BB strangely neglects the secondary in free agency and stacks the offense instead (maybe he started believing the hype about himself and thought he could coach up scrubs on D? there was his famous comment to brady in 2009, "i can't get this defense to play the way i want" the reality was that that defense simply had little talent.)
but the pats also stop winning titles. some football-illiterate haters claim it's because they can't cheat anymore post-spygate.

in actuality the super bowl is only rarely won by offense-oriented teams, it's not mysterious, and it has nothing to do with cheating. in all 5 pats super bowls, the games were all very close, but the better defensive club won each game.

pats get revis, browner, and some good young talent in the secondary, and suddenly the pats are in true contention and BB is a genius again.

it's not about cheating or deflated footballs, it's about having an elite D and a clutch QB.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
I'm afraid to post this, but I am really interested in your guys' opinion. I am from upstate NY. I am a Giants fan. Have been my whole life. Do you guys believe no one knew, or do you believe it just happened? I don't think this is a big a deal is the media is making it, but SOMEONE did it, right?

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
I'm afraid to post this, but I am really interested in your guys' opinion. I am from upstate NY. I am a Giants fan. Have been my whole life. Do you guys believe no one knew, or do you believe it just happened? I don't think this is a big a deal is the media is making it, but SOMEONE did it, right?
Nope. I don't think anyone "did" anything. In other words, I don't think someone took a pin to the balls to deflate them after the officials ok-ed them at the start of the game.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
Nope. I don't think anyone "did" anything. In other words, I don't think someone took a pin to the balls to deflate them after the officials ok-ed them at the start of the game.

So what do you think happened?

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I'm not a Patriots fan, or a fan of any other NFL team either, but the reason this has seemed plausible to me from the beginning is that I think teams and QBs routinely tamper with their footballs.  There's certainly enough anecdotal and video evidence of teams doing it.  Sometimes it may not violate league standards but I think often it does.

That's why one of the odder subplots to me is Patriots fans simultaneously claiming that lots of other teams do it, but their team couldn't possibly have done it.  It's not the only possible explanation but it's certainly a plausible one.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

what BB said.
ie, some combination of Patriots having the balls filled to the minimum (12.5psi) and the weather impacting the psi from there.
Celtics fan for life.

Offline kozlodoev

• NCE
  • Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 1294

I'm not a Patriots fan, or a fan of any other NFL team either, but the reason this has seemed plausible to me from the beginning is that I think teams and QBs routinely tamper with their footballs.  There's certainly enough anecdotal and video evidence of teams doing it.  Sometimes it may not violate league standards but I think often it does.

That's why one of the odder subplots to me is Patriots fans simultaneously claiming that lots of other teams do it, but their team couldn't possibly have done it.  It's not the only possible explanation but it's certainly a plausible one.
I don't think anyone who has followed the story (or the NFL) closely claims that QBs routinely tamper with balls after they've been approved by officials on game day. There certainly isn't any video evidence to speak of. The closest you'll get is the video of ball boys heating up footballs on the sideline.

Of course, all QBs "tamper" with the balls during the course of the week, which was the whole point of the rule that got passed in 2007. Up to then, you'd get brand new balls out of the box -- and the problem with these were that the wax coating and the brand new pigskin made them hard to grip. So rubbing off the coating, and wearing down the skin is what's happening in this process.

If we'll be discussing "plausibility", it's absolutely insane for anyone to consider tampering after inspection. It's little reward, high risk type of affair.

"I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve."

Offline footey

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1834
Brady is a cheater that simply canNOT win fairly withOUT gaining unfair advantages!!

http://www.wnd.com/2015/01/patriots-nearly-fumble-proof-after-brady-rule-change/?cat_orig=diversions

I am sure I just made a LOT of friends on this board:-)))))))))))))))))

Smitty77

i know i shouldn't feed the trolls, but i have to get something off my chest.
why is it so hard for football fans to comprehend the pats' history of style of play and how it has affected their performance?

pats had an elite defense in brady's first 5 years or so. there wasn't much offensive talent, however, which is why brady initially didn't get his due from the media. the pats fumbled more. they scored less. the INT/TD ratio wasn't amazing. that's what happens when you have way more talent on defense than offense.

that D, along with an elite QB, was the recipe for championships.

anyways, after a disastrous end to the season in 2006, in which their best receiver was a scrub named reche caldwell, the pats get a ton of extra talent and become an offensive juggernaut in 2007, much like manning's colts. they subsequently don't need to fight for extra yards as often and don't fumble or turn the ball over much, also like manning's colts, who had an even lower fumble rate than the pats (oops, does that spoil your cheating theory?). the pats lose a squeaker to an inspired giants team in a super bowl which could have gone either way.

fast forward to 2008, and many of the elite defensive players have retired, and the secondary is especially decimated. BB strangely neglects the secondary in free agency and stacks the offense instead (maybe he started believing the hype about himself and thought he could coach up scrubs on D? there was his famous comment to brady in 2009, "i can't get this defense to play the way i want" the reality was that that defense simply had little talent.)
but the pats also stop winning titles. some football-illiterate haters claim it's because they can't cheat anymore post-spygate.

in actuality the super bowl is only rarely won by offense-oriented teams, it's not mysterious, and it has nothing to do with cheating. in all 5 pats super bowls, the games were all very close, but the better defensive club won each game.

pats get revis, browner, and some good young talent in the secondary, and suddenly the pats are in true contention and BB is a genius again.

it's not about cheating or deflated footballs, it's about having an elite D and a clutch QB.

And a healthy Gronk.  I believe we would have won the 2012 SB with a healthy Gronk.

Offline RLewis35

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 20
  • I drink and I know things

what BB said.
ie, some combination of Patriots having the balls filled to the minimum (12.5psi) and the weather impacting the psi from there.

1.  Why didnt it affect the Colts balls then?

2.  Why could a Colts defender notice, upon touching the ball once, but Brady, the center, the running backs, and everyone on the Pats who noticed had no clue.

It is blatantly obvious the Pats know that they are playing with deflated balls.  Whether it is because someone is deflating them, or whether they inflate their balls with hot air so that the weather affect is more dramatic, they are taking active steps to ensure their balls are deflated.

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

what BB said.

2.  Why could a Colts defender notice, upon touching the ball once, but Brady, the center, the running backs, and everyone on the Pats who noticed had no clue.

(1) Colts balls could have been inflated closer to 13.5, and perhaps in a different environment (ie: colder), so even though air was lost after taking the balls outside, they were still in the 12.5 - 13.5 range.

(2) The. Defender. Didn't. Notice.

Feels like Groundhog Day!
Celtics fan for life.

Offline Jiri Welsch

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 349

what BB said.

It is blatantly obvious the Pats know that they are playing with deflated balls.  Whether it is because someone is deflating them, or whether they inflate their balls with hot air so that the weather affect is more dramatic, they are taking active steps to ensure their balls are deflated.

1. The Colts probably inflated their balls to a different pressure. They didn't have a rub that added to the psi before measurements.

2. The defender has gone on the record saying he didn't notice anything about the ball.

This is a good indicator of how some people will never take facts as facts and will just hate on the Pats regardless. I personally love the hate because it's coming from a place of jealousy.