Author Topic: 11 draft picks next year  (Read 9229 times)

Re: 11 draft picks next year
« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2015, 02:45:49 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
With all our picks next year, I will be shocked if we don't trade up in the draft this year. I think the cost will be prohibitive to move into the top 3 or 4 but I bet we are able to move up into the late lottery if we don't make the playoffs or package the Clippers pick with a future pick to move into the teens.

I like the idea of stashing a bunch of euros, if just one pans out then all those 2nd rounders we traded for will be worth it.

Usually big trades involving multiple picks to move up are rare in the NBA.. The idea is teams that may rebuild in the forthcoming years with a superstar they are exploring a trade.. Really the same way the Celtics are now (Rondo, Green)..

If Danny smells blood He will do his best to strike .. Remember he offered three firsts and KO for Love... so we know the way he is looking

Not all that rare.

Huges moves into the top 5 might be rare, but every year there are some first round picks moving for multiple picks.

This year, the Bulls swapped #16, #19, and a 2nd for #11
The Sixers swapped #10, for #13, a second, and a future first
The Hornets swapped #24 for #26, a second, and a future second.

The year before
Utah swapped #14 and #21 to move up #9
The Celtics swapped #16 and 2 future seconds to move up to #13 for Olynyk

There is always movement in the first round. It's mostly in the middle and late thirds but there will opportunites to move around if Ainge wishes to do so.
TP for the research. I think the draft has a huge drop off after #12 so we need to make sure we are picking before the drop off regardless of where we end the season.

Maybe with a little luck a player will slip and we can use the clippers pick and a future first to get two picks out of the 12 best rated player group.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2015, 03:18:52 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047

true, there's a little movement but look at the price paid to move just a few slots.

there are a handful of people (not saying you) that's repeatedly said Danny could just trade his way into a top 2 (top 3, top 5, top 8, etc...) pick if he misses in the lottery.  that's just not going to happen.  The only 2 times I recall the top pick being moved on draft night were:
1) the C's moving the #1 (Joe Barry Carroll and another first) for #3 (Mchale and Parish)
2) Orlando moving the #1 (Chris Webber) for #3 and change (Penny Hardaway).
    --> leads in to what I think would have been the best comment in ESPN studios with Shaq
         and Webber  ==> Shaq: Ha, Webber, you were so bad as a player you were traded for a
         Penny

If Danny wants a top 2/3 pick to get either Okafor or Towns, he isn't going to be able to do it unless he's only sliding up 1-2 spots.

Totally agree there. Basically no one is trading a top tier pick (this year it looks like 1-3) unless they are getting another top tier pick in return. The value gap is just too large between the very top guys in the next group.

Most likely is if Danny sees someone that is 10-13 on his board sitting there in the late teens, he should be able to move up from the Clippers pick using a future first and a second, for example.
i think we're on the same page on this one.  just a question of where the Clips finish, how many spots he has to jump and what the price is

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2015, 04:36:21 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
With all our picks next year, I will be shocked if we don't trade up in the draft this year. I think the cost will be prohibitive to move into the top 3 or 4 but I bet we are able to move up into the late lottery if we don't make the playoffs or package the Clippers pick with a future pick to move into the teens.

I like the idea of stashing a bunch of euros, if just one pans out then all those 2nd rounders we traded for will be worth it.

Usually big trades involving multiple picks to move up are rare in the NBA.. The idea is teams that may rebuild in the forthcoming years with a superstar they are exploring a trade.. Really the same way the Celtics are now (Rondo, Green)..

If Danny smells blood He will do his best to strike .. Remember he offered three firsts and KO for Love... so we know the way he is looking

Not all that rare.

Huges moves into the top 5 might be rare, but every year there are some first round picks moving for multiple picks.

This year, the Bulls swapped #16, #19, and a 2nd for #11
The Sixers swapped #10, for #13, a second, and a future first
The Hornets swapped #24 for #26, a second, and a future second.

The year before
Utah swapped #14 and #21 to move up #9
The Celtics swapped #16 and 2 future seconds to move up to #13 for Olynyk

There is always movement in the first round. It's mostly in the middle and late thirds but there will opportunites to move around if Ainge wishes to do so.
true, there's a little movement but look at the price paid to move just a few slots.

there are a handful of people (not saying you) that's repeatedly said Danny could just trade his way into a top 2 (top 3, top 5, top 8, etc...) pick if he misses in the lottery.  that's just not going to happen.  The only 2 times I recall the top pick being moved on draft night were:
1) the C's moving the #1 (Joe Barry Carroll and another first) for #3 (Mchale and Parish)
2) Orlando moving the #1 (Chris Webber) for #3 and change (Penny Hardaway).
    --> leads in to what I think would have been the best comment in ESPN studios with Shaq
         and Webber  ==> Shaq: Ha, Webber, you were so bad as a player you were traded for a
         Penny

If Danny wants a top 2/3 pick to get either Okafor or Towns, he isn't going to be able to do it unless he's only sliding up 1-2 spots.
The math isn't that complicated. You do multiple swaps to move up.

The only tricky part is the role that available players have in making such moves appealing on draft night.

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2015, 11:36:23 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2665
  • bammokja
well, the celtics have the 8th pick tonight. they are moving up in the draft the old fashioned way, they're losing. ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2015, 11:59:41 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
well, the celtics have the 8th pick tonight. they are moving up in the draft the old fashioned way, they're losing. ;D

Ok .....it's out of the bag. .....

We know the secret tanking formula

The "Sully Hero Ball three"

Stevens goes to it ......when a win looks inevitable  ;D