Author Topic: making the playoffs could be the better plan  (Read 16075 times)

Re: making the playoffs could be the better plan
« Reply #90 on: January 28, 2015, 11:53:21 PM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2922
I don't want the c's to make the playoffs this year, would much prefer a top 5 pick

BUT

If they slip in as the 8th seed, does anyone else think they could give Atlanta a hell of a time? Not saying they would win.

I know Atlanta is playing great, but I just don't see them being a dominate playoff team.

Teague/Schoder vs        Smart / Pressey
Korver/Bazemore vs      Bradley/ Turner
Carrol/Sefelosha vs       Crowder/Prince
Millsap/Scott        vs       Bass/ KO
Horford/Antic       vs       Sully/Zellar

I think we could possibly take them to 6 games, especially if the team keeps jelling with everyone moving the ball(except bradley) . We would need KO's offense to be clicking though, and aggressiveness.

Remember no one thought Atlanta had a shot against Indy last year and almost pulled the upset off without Horford.

I don't believe the ATL hype. Love Millsap and Hortford (and would love them here) but I don't see this team as winners in the east. That being said, I would love for them to win it all if it's not SA or maybe GS.
Yeah, I don't think their recent success is sustainable. They're good, but let's see how good they are in March and April before crowning them East champs. I think they'll come back to Earth soon.
Look at their schedule.  They beat everyone.  Every single powerhouse western or eastern conference team.  Handled them.  They are real as real gets.

Teams still go on runs where they play excellent basketball that isn't necessarily representative of their true talent. Let's see them sustain this the rest of the season.
38-8 isn't a fluke.  We're looking at a 67 win team.  That's no joke.
Like I said, let's just let it play out and see how it goes first. They're a good team, don't get me wrong, but I think they'll inevitably come back down to Earth soon. They're not a 67 win team imo, not even in this putrid East.

« Reply #91 on: January 29, 2015, 12:01:41 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
I don't want the c's to make the playoffs this year, would much prefer a top 5 pick

BUT

If they slip in as the 8th seed, does anyone else think they could give Atlanta a hell of a time? Not saying they would win.

I know Atlanta is playing great, but I just don't see them being a dominate playoff team.

I think we could possibly take them to 6 games, especially if the team keeps jelling with everyone moving the ball(except bradley) . We would need KO's offense to be clicking though, and aggressiveness.

Remember no one thought Atlanta had a shot against Indy last year and almost pulled the upset off without Horford.

I don't believe the ATL hype. Love Millsap and Hortford (and would love them here) but I don't see this team as winners in the east. That being said, I would love for them to win it all if it's not SA or maybe GS.
Yeah, I don't think their recent success is sustainable. They're good, but let's see how good they are in March and April before crowning them East champs. I think they'll come back to Earth soon.
Look at their schedule.  They beat everyone.  Every single powerhouse western or eastern conference team.  Handled them.  They are real as real gets.

Teams still go on runs where they play excellent basketball that isn't necessarily representative of their true talent. Let's see them sustain this the rest of the season.
Like I said, let's just let it play out and see how it goes first. They're a good team, don't get me wrong, but I think they'll inevitably come back down to Earth soon. They're not a 67 win team imo, not even in this putrid East.
I'm gonna go out on a limb and say any nba team to hit 38-8 is badass.  This is basically the same pace as our 08 team. They have to be frontrunners along with GSW.

« Reply #92 on: January 29, 2015, 12:04:46 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

BUT

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say any nba team to hit 38-8 is badass.  This is basically the same pace as our 08 team. They have to be frontrunners along with GSW.

I think there's a big difference between GS and ATL. While ATL has admittedly beat alot of good teams, GS is in the West where it's a nightly thing. Though I do think ATL is much better suited for a long playoff run due to positioning (East) and style of play. If GS isn't hitting threes and the game slows down, I think they're in trouble.

« Reply #93 on: January 29, 2015, 12:06:25 AM »

Online jpotter33

• James Naismith

BUT

And honestly the comparison to our title team is one of the reasons I'm skeptical, because there really doesn't seem to be a comparison. I don't quite remember the strength of the Conference/League the year we won it, but the East had to be quite a bit more competitive than it is now.

« Reply #94 on: January 29, 2015, 09:45:28 AM »

Offline Moranis

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1544
I still say Cleveland is the team to beat in the East and when all is said and done expect them to be in the NBA Finals.  I just don't see the Hawks, Bulls, or Wizards beating the Cavs, especially if they get Varejao back for their bench.
2023 Historical Draft - Brooklyn Nets - 9th pick

Bigs - Pau, Amar'e, Issel, McGinnis, Roundfield
Wings - Dantley, Bowen, J. Jackson
Guards - Cheeks, Petrovic, Buse, Rip

« Reply #95 on: January 31, 2015, 12:28:16 AM »

Offline DesertDweller

• Jaylen Brown
  • Tommy Points: 92
We dont make the playoffs , how bad can this team end up?

We trade bass, thornton, prince. Again how bad can this team end up?

Bc of how hard CBS wants his guys to play. Play to win no matter what attitude, even if we trade the vets away, we will prob still end up with only a 8-10th pick at the draft. Other teams late in the seasom will start sitting their top guys/tank mode while CBS will want to finish strong.

Usually picks between 8-15 is a game of luck anyways. You want KCP or Schroeder??  Royce white or Terrence Jones?

So it could be more valuable for this team to sneak into 8th, gain the experience/feel the playoff atmosphere to better prepare for next season. Come draft night , Danny has enough picks to move up to 8-10 area or earlier anyways .

You bet your bippy!!!  I have been saying this all along.