Author Topic: making the playoffs could be the better plan  (Read 16056 times)

Re: making the playoffs could be the better plan
« Reply #45 on: January 28, 2015, 01:51:00 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196
I don't want the c's to make the playoffs this year, would much prefer a top 5 pick

BUT

If they slip in as the 8th seed, does anyone else think they could give Atlanta a hell of a time? Not saying they would win.

I know Atlanta is playing great, but I just don't see them being a dominate playoff team.

Teague/Schoder vs        Smart / Pressey
Korver/Bazemore vs      Bradley/ Turner
Carrol/Sefelosha vs       Crowder/Prince
Millsap/Scott        vs       Bass/ KO
Horford/Antic       vs       Sully/Zellar

I think we could possibly take them to 6 games, especially if the team keeps jelling with everyone moving the ball(except bradley) . We would need KO's offense to be clicking though, and aggressiveness.

Remember no one thought Atlanta had a shot against Indy last year and almost pulled the upset off without Horford.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2015, 01:59:30 PM by rondohondo »

« Reply #46 on: January 28, 2015, 02:01:14 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Prince , Bass , Thornton ......if left alone ....allowed to jell with the young guys ...with t a bit of team chemistry appear capable of winning in the lousy eastern conference.  CBS seems to understand this group and how to use them.

Rondo was not helping .  No team cohesion could be found with his lack of interest , yet having to play him , because he is a star and fan fav.......he was in the way

I'm thinking for the sake of keeping the coach , if that's what you want , and keeping the rookies  motivated ......letting them play for a playoff spot might not be a bad thing.  Winning does wonders for the locker room

The owners , rookies, fans , and coach can only take Danny screwing up the team so much .....before interest starts to wane.

If interest drops ...so does the bottom line at the box office .

It might be best to play ball .....for a change ...give everybody a break from the losing mentality

« Reply #47 on: January 28, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
let them play hard to try to make it.  I don't that that being a possibility but always want them to try to win.  team will still wind up with a crappy record and in the lottery.

« Reply #48 on: January 28, 2015, 02:10:45 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
let them play hard to try to make it.  I don't that that being a possibility but always want them to try to win.  team will still wind up with a crappy record and in the lottery.

Yup......to catch the worst teams in losses .....DA would not only have ....trade ALL the vets ...but sit Sully , AB and KO ......hire a bunch o D league players .   Some teams are just bad , they are set up not to win again period.

Danny has waited TOO to pull a Knicks or Philly tank job .......

So might as well build team cohesion and let the guys do what they are being paid for ....

Win games for the fans

Learning to win is a good thing too.

« Reply #49 on: January 28, 2015, 02:31:49 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think making the playoffs would be great for this young team.  It's become clear that over the last four or five games that this team is starting to build a legitimate defensive identity.  To make the playoffs, they would have to keep that up. 

This West Coast trip has certainly been encouraging so far.  If we can beat the T-Wolves tonight, it will make for a 4 and 2 trip. 

We don't have a ton of talent, but we are playing with heart, toughness, and a certain level of cohesiveness right now.  I'm not going to start rooting for those qualities to disappear from the team in exchange for a few percentage points in the lottery sweepstakes.

I agree, but there are two times when young teams that play hard are most likely to take games from better, veteran teams: the very beginning of the season, and the doldrums between New Year's and the All-Star Break. 

We're in one of those stretches now, and two of the three teams we recently beat are not appreciably better than us (Denver with Lawson, maybe, but not without).  And the better team was missing two starters, and we had to get very lucky to even attempt the game-winner.

Once the league starts gearing up for the end of the season I think you're going to see us start slumping again.  It is really heartening to see the guys playing well together after all the trades, though.  Nice omen for the future.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.  I'm certainly not getting carried away by the smattering of success that we've had on this road trip.

All I know is that I'm going to keep rooting for this squad to keep playing good defense and keep playing like the games matter, and let the chips fall where they may. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #50 on: January 28, 2015, 02:41:34 PM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
So some think it'll be easier to attract big time FA's with a culture of losing and lottery teams? I think some playoff experience would be more enticing to a free agent then a team with no experience.

Top players and money attract free agents to teams.  (followed by weather and media opportunities)

Sneaking into the playoffs without top talent never attracts top free agents.
I agree with you but, I do believe that sustained stretches in the lottery is likely to rule out a team for a free agent.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2015, 02:50:50 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Star Players who were drafted ouside top 10:

Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Klay Thompson
Al Jefferson
Clyde Drexler
Karl Malone
Shawn Kemp
John Stockton
Jermaine O'neal
Reggie Miller

Most of them are alpha-male stars. The point is chance of getting a star player in that range is close to top 10.

Consider, though, all the players drafted outside the top 10 that didn't become stars.

Consider also all the teams that spend years in the lottery and get multiple top ten picks and still never are any good.

Mike
Timberwolves, Kings, 76ers... umm...

Is that it?
The Clippers were the poster boys for this. Granted, they had the worst NBA owner ever.

« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2015, 02:52:01 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

Yup......to catch the worst teams in losses .....DA would not only have ....trade ALL the vets ...but sit Sully , AB and KO ......hire a bunch o D league players .   Some teams are just bad , they are set up not to win again period.

Danny has waited TOO to pull a Knicks or Philly tank job .......

So might as well build team cohesion and let the guys do what they are being paid for ....

Win games for the fans

Learning to win is a good thing too.
The Knicks only went full rebuild a month ago. They were bad while trying to be good.

« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2015, 02:52:26 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
I think making the playoffs would be great for this young team.  It's become clear that over the last four or five games that this team is starting to build a legitimate defensive identity.  To make the playoffs, they would have to keep that up. 

This West Coast trip has certainly been encouraging so far.  If we can beat the T-Wolves tonight, it will make for a 4 and 2 trip. 

We don't have a ton of talent, but we are playing with heart, toughness, and a certain level of cohesiveness right now.  I'm not going to start rooting for those qualities to disappear from the team in exchange for a few percentage points in the lottery sweepstakes.

I agree, but there are two times when young teams that play hard are most likely to take games from better, veteran teams: the very beginning of the season, and the doldrums between New Year's and the All-Star Break. 

We're in one of those stretches now, and two of the three teams we recently beat are not appreciably better than us (Denver with Lawson, maybe, but not without).  And the better team was missing two starters, and we had to get very lucky to even attempt the game-winner.

Once the league starts gearing up for the end of the season I think you're going to see us start slumping again.  It is really heartening to see the guys playing well together after all the trades, though.  Nice omen for the future.

I don't necessarily disagree with any of that.  I'm certainly not getting carried away by the smattering of success that we've had on this road trip.

All I know is that I'm going to keep rooting for this squad to keep playing good defense and keep playing like the games matter, and let the chips fall where they may.

I'm with you there.  I think the playoffs are really unlikely, but I see some promise in this short stretch and hope they can keep winning.  At a minimum we should be able to handle the T-Wolves tonight.

« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2015, 02:54:06 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
I don't want the c's to make the playoffs this year, would much prefer a top 5 pick

BUT

If they slip in as the 8th seed, does anyone else think they could give Atlanta a hell of a time? Not saying they would win.

I know Atlanta is playing great, but I just don't see them being a dominate playoff team.

I think we could possibly take them to 6 games, especially if the team keeps jelling with everyone moving the ball(except bradley) . We would need KO's offense to be clicking though, and aggressiveness.

Remember no one thought Atlanta had a shot against Indy last year and almost pulled the upset off without Horford.
Wow, each of their starters is way better that their counterpoint on our team in the lineup you provided.

« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2015, 02:55:50 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120

BUT

I appreciate the enthusiasm, but I think it is more realistic that Cs win 1 game, Atl wins in 5.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2015, 02:57:25 PM »

Offline rondohondo

• NCE
  • Danny Ainge
  • Tommy Points: 1196

BUT

Wow, each of their starters is way better that their counterpoint on our team in the lineup you provided.

My thinking is Sully can match Horford , Bass has the athletic ability and size to stick with Millsap , the SF's pretty much cancel each other out . Smart and Bradley provide strong defense in the backcourt . Like I said , don't think we would win because we don't have enough fire power or a closer, but think we could play them close .   

« Reply #57 on: January 28, 2015, 03:08:47 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469

BUT

My thinking is Sully can match Horford , Bass has the athletic ability and size to stick with Millsap , the SF's pretty much cancel each other out . Smart and Bradley provide strong defense in the backcourt . Like I said , don't think we would win because we don't have enough fire power or a closer, but think we could play them close .   

TP.  I think we could push them to six as well. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #58 on: January 28, 2015, 03:17:16 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders

BUT

Horford is still way better than Sully and Millsap has been better than Bass every year. Guys being able to defend their position respectably doesn't seem like a major feather to put in our cap when comparing to a much better team.

Add to the better ATL players the excellent chemistry they have in their system right now and I'm not confident at all.

« Reply #59 on: January 28, 2015, 03:21:24 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
TP.  I think we could push them to six as well.

We have split with them but they are 37 and 8.   We are 16-27.   Given this fact, I doubt we could play with them in the playoffs.   All these we match up do not account for Korver to a satisfactory conclusion and Horford, for all the spin here is a better player than Sullinger and Milsap is better than Bass.   This doesn't even account for Teague and all the experience they have playing together.