Author Topic: making the playoffs could be the better plan  (Read 16072 times)

Re: making the playoffs could be the better plan
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 10:44:46 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 120
I do not see anyone on the roster capable of drawing a free agent of worth.   Do you think guys will come here because they want to play with Oly and Sully?

No, I think we will find two free agents stars who can be convinced to come to a playoff team.  We're one of just a few teams that will have the room for two.  And if we make the playoffs, we'll be the only one of those.  I imagine a lot more stars will would want to pair up and join a playoff team than would want to join a 19 year-old #1 pick.

I think there's a decent argument to be made, that if the Cs go the FA route, it wouldn't be the end of the world to be in the playoffs.

That said, I still doubt the Cs make the playoffs. Teams go on runs from time to time, and that's what is happening here, IMHO.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 11:04:40 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think making the playoffs would be great for this young team.  It's become clear that over the last four or five games that this team is starting to build a legitimate defensive identity.  To make the playoffs, they would have to keep that up. 

This West Coast trip has certainly been encouraging so far.  If we can beat the T-Wolves tonight, it will make for a 4 and 2 trip. 

We don't have a ton of talent, but we are playing with heart, toughness, and a certain level of cohesiveness right now.  I'm not going to start rooting for those qualities to disappear from the team in exchange for a few percentage points in the lottery sweepstakes. 

DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 11:34:03 AM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones
We don't have a ton of talent, but we are playing with heart, toughness, and a certain level of cohesiveness right now.  I'm not going to start rooting for those qualities to disappear from the team in exchange for a few percentage points in the lottery sweepstakes.

Nicely said.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 11:37:28 AM »

Offline Tr1boy

• Paul Pierce
  • Tommy Points: 867
I think making the playoffs would be great for this young team.  It's become clear that over the last four or five games that this team is starting to build a legitimate defensive identity.  To make the playoffs, they would have to keep that up. 

This West Coast trip has certainly been encouraging so far.  If we can beat the T-Wolves tonight, it will make for a 4 and 2 trip. 

+2

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »

Offline konkmv

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 104
Cavs bulls wizzards hawks raptors bucks heat hornetts nets pistons.... we do not make the play offs... be ready for more trades

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 11:58:55 AM »

Offline Evantime34

• NCE
  • Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 764
  • Eagerly Awaiting the Next Fantasy Draft
Cavs bulls wizzards hawks raptors bucks heat hornetts nets pistons.... we do not make the play offs... be ready for more trades
The Nets aren't good, and probably will get worse with any trade they make to get out from under their big contracts. The Pistons lost Brendan Jennings to injury which should hurt them. The Hornets are missing Kemba Walker and Big Al can't stay healthy. The C's very easily could pass these teams.

There is value to having a foundation of heart, toughness and cohesion in place long term. Rookies are more likely to develop when they are brought up in a team that plays the right way just as teams that play the right way can attract free agents.
DKC:  Rockets
CB Draft: Memphis Grizz
Players: Klay Thompson, Jabari Parker, Aaron Gordon
Next 3 picks: 4.14, 4.15, 4.19

« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2015, 12:10:15 PM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
The Nets aren't good, and probably will get worse with any trade they make to get out from under their big contracts. The Pistons lost Brendan Jennings to injury which should hurt them. The Hornets are missing Kemba Walker and Big Al can't stay healthy. The C's very easily could pass these teams.

There is value to having a foundation of heart, toughness and cohesion in place long term. Rookies are more likely to develop when they are brought up in a team that plays the right way just as teams that play the right way can attract free agents.

Yup.
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2015, 12:16:25 PM »

Offline Monkhouse

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 814
  • A true Celtic plays with heart.
If the Celtics make the playoffs, I don't mind. But my preference is the idea that Bass, Prince, or Thorntorn should be traded, so our young guys can experience what its like.

I think Smart is the type of player that would improve from the trial of it all. I would love to see Sully too.
"I bomb atomically, Socrates' philosophies and hypotheses
Can't define how I be dropping these mockeries."

Is the glass half-full or half-empty?
It's based on your perspective, quite simply
We're the same and we're not; know what I'm saying? Listen
Son, I ain't better than you, I just think different

« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2015, 12:27:31 PM »

Offline Cman

• K.C. Jones

I tend to agree with the overall sentiment, which is that it is unlikely for the Cs to go on an extended run and end up on the playoffs. I classify the results of the last 5-6 games as being more of an "outlier" rather than the start of a new "trend".

That said, for the sake of the argument put forward by the OP, I do think there are benefits to being in the playoffs. I get that *not making the playoffs* means the Cs have a chance at a top 3 pick, but the chances are slim to none if the Cs end up outside top 10 (or should it be bottom 10)? The benefits to getting playoff experience, and perhaps attracting high end FAs, outweighs the benefits of the miniscule percentage point chance of getting a top pick, in my opinion.
Celtics fan for life.

« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2015, 12:38:32 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132
So some think it'll be easier to attract big time FA's with a culture of losing and lottery teams? I think some playoff experience would be more enticing to a free agent then a team with no experience.

« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2015, 12:41:31 PM »

Offline wdleehi

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 1607
  • Basketball is Newtonian Physics
So some think it'll be easier to attract big time FA's with a culture of losing and lottery teams? I think some playoff experience would be more enticing to a free agent then a team with no experience.

Top players and money attract free agents to teams.  (followed by weather and media opportunities)

Sneaking into the playoffs without top talent never attracts top free agents. 

« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2015, 12:50:27 PM »

Offline JohnBoy65

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 132

Top players and money attract free agents to teams.  (followed by weather and media opportunities)

Sneaking into the playoffs without top talent never attracts top free agents.

So, as someone said earlier, a 19 yr old stud with 0 experience would be more attractive than a Boston team that had a defensive identity and made the playoffs with some role players?

« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2015, 12:51:48 PM »

Offline kraidstar

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 2478
Star Players who were drafted ouside top 10:

Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Klay Thompson
Al Jefferson
Clyde Drexler
Karl Malone
Shawn Kemp
John Stockton
Jermaine O'neal
Reggie Miller

Most of them are alpha-male stars. The point is chance of getting a star player in that range is close to top 10.

Consider, though, all the players drafted outside the top 10 that didn't become stars.

Consider also all the teams that spend years in the lottery and get multiple top ten picks and still never are any good.

Mike
Timberwolves, Kings, 76ers... umm...

Is that it?

Pitino Celtics
Pre-Ujiri Raptors
Cavs outside LeBron
Pistons
Bobcats
Nets
Knicks
Bucks

those teams were all run by idiots
pitino for instance literally gave away joe johnson and chancey billups. those were franchise-killing moves.
teams that draft well and strategize well shouldn't have so much trouble.

« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2015, 01:19:49 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1393
Star Players who were drafted ouside top 10:

Kobe Bryant
Steve Nash
Joe Johnson
Klay Thompson
Al Jefferson
Clyde Drexler
Karl Malone
Shawn Kemp
John Stockton
Jermaine O'neal
Reggie Miller

Most of them are alpha-male stars. The point is chance of getting a star player in that range is close to top 10.

Consider, though, all the players drafted outside the top 10 that didn't become stars.

Consider also all the teams that spend years in the lottery and get multiple top ten picks and still never are any good.

Mike
Timberwolves, Kings, 76ers... umm...

Is that it?

Pitino Celtics
Pre-Ujiri Raptors
Cavs outside LeBron
Pistons
Bobcats
Nets
Knicks
Bucks

those teams were all run by idiots
pitino for instance literally gave away joe johnson and chancey billups. those were franchise-killing moves.
teams that draft well and strategize well shouldn't have so much trouble.

Utah has not been even a borderline threat since losing Deron williams despite favors, kanters, hayward, burke, exum etc

Clippers were a bottom level team for 20 years despite having an endless series of lottery picks including the number 1 pick overall in the Kandi Man

Wizards had a very long series of high draft picks under Jordan (most notable kwami brown) but never made the playoffs

How could we forget the baby bulls? Tyson Chandler, Eddie Curry, Jay Williams never could get it together

The toast of the league, the warriors, went through an extremely long period of ineptude with non stop lottery picks before finally hitting on 4 guys Thompson, Barnes, Curry and Green, none of whom were picked in the top 6.

« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2015, 01:39:05 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.

I agree, but there are two times when young teams that play hard are most likely to take games from better, veteran teams: the very beginning of the season, and the doldrums between New Year's and the All-Star Break. 

We're in one of those stretches now, and two of the three teams we recently beat are not appreciably better than us (Denver with Lawson, maybe, but not without).  And the better team was missing two starters, and we had to get very lucky to even attempt the game-winner.

Once the league starts gearing up for the end of the season I think you're going to see us start slumping again.  It is really heartening to see the guys playing well together after all the trades, though.  Nice omen for the future.