Author Topic: making the playoffs could be the better plan  (Read 16059 times)

Re: making the playoffs could be the better plan
« Reply #75 on: January 28, 2015, 07:17:17 PM »

Offline Eja117

• NCE
  • Bill Sharman
  • Tommy Points: 1254
I think the value of Marcus Smart, KO, Sully, T Zeller, and Brad Stevens being in the playoffs is at least 5 times the value of getting the 10th pick instead of the 14th.
Boston is currently the 9th pick and if you make the playoffs you pick no worse than 15 not 14.
I assumed they dropped a spot because someone above them moved up into the lottery and that someone had their pick taken away from them for cheating when it was discovered Bill Belicheck handled one of their balls in 1999.

« Reply #76 on: January 28, 2015, 07:50:01 PM »

Offline Redz

• Punner
  • Global Moderator
  • Bill Russell
  • Tommy Points: 3765
  • Yup
Yup

« Reply #77 on: January 28, 2015, 07:54:14 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
Watching the celtics pre game and they made a good point on chemistry as it relates to all the trades and possible trades before the deadline.

It made me think maybe we stay put on the roster and not worry as much about the draft. They have great chemistry right now considering the talent on the roster and I think guys like Bass and Prince (maybe even Wallace and Thorton) help the young guys develop in little ways CBS can't always cover to even notice in practice or during games.

Unlike last year, we have no shot at the top 3 picks based on our record alone. If we want someone in particular bad enough I'm sure DA will make the necessary moves to move up.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #78 on: January 28, 2015, 07:57:37 PM »

Offline TheTruthFot18

• NCE
  • Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 263
  • Truth Juice
I don't want the c's to make the playoffs this year, would much prefer a top 5 pick

BUT

If they slip in as the 8th seed, does anyone else think they could give Atlanta a hell of a time? Not saying they would win.

I know Atlanta is playing great, but I just don't see them being a dominate playoff team.

Teague/Schoder vs        Smart / Pressey
Korver/Bazemore vs      Bradley/ Turner
Carrol/Sefelosha vs       Crowder/Prince
Millsap/Scott        vs       Bass/ KO
Horford/Antic       vs       Sully/Zellar

I think we could possibly take them to 6 games, especially if the team keeps jelling with everyone moving the ball(except bradley) . We would need KO's offense to be clicking though, and aggressiveness.

Remember no one thought Atlanta had a shot against Indy last year and almost pulled the upset off without Horford.

I don't believe the ATL hype. Love Millsap and Hortford (and would love them here) but I don't see this team as winners in the east. That being said, I would love for them to win it all if it's not SA or maybe GS.
The Nets will finish with the worst record and the Celtics will end up with the 4th pick.

- Me (sometime in January)

--------------------------------------------------------

Guess I was wrong (May 23rd)

« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2015, 08:26:35 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906
I don't want the c's to make the playoffs this year, would much prefer a top 5 pick

BUT

If they slip in as the 8th seed, does anyone else think they could give Atlanta a hell of a time? Not saying they would win.

I know Atlanta is playing great, but I just don't see them being a dominate playoff team.

I think we could possibly take them to 6 games, especially if the team keeps jelling with everyone moving the ball(except bradley) . We would need KO's offense to be clicking though, and aggressiveness.

Remember no one thought Atlanta had a shot against Indy last year and almost pulled the upset off without Horford.

I don't believe the ATL hype. Love Millsap and Hortford (and would love them here) but I don't see this team as winners in the east. That being said, I would love for them to win it all if it's not SA or maybe GS.
Yeah, I don't think their recent success is sustainable. They're good, but let's see how good they are in March and April before crowning them East champs. I think they'll come back to Earth soon.

« Reply #80 on: January 28, 2015, 09:15:01 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
Everyone's assuming the 8th seed if we make it, but it's not like Miami has looked like a special team either.  We're about as close to 7th place as we are 12th.

« Reply #81 on: January 28, 2015, 10:38:33 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
TWolves just beat us, still think we are playoff bound?

« Reply #82 on: January 28, 2015, 10:41:40 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
The Nets are at 9th.

Knock them off, get our kids some experience. No brainer.

« Reply #83 on: January 28, 2015, 10:44:48 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619
TWolves just beat us, still think we are playoff bound?

Eh, the 76ers beat the Pistons and the Knicks beat the Thunder tonight too.  Nets and Hornets both lost also.

« Reply #84 on: January 28, 2015, 10:55:44 PM »

Offline freshinthehouse

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 156
Unlike last year, we have no shot at the top 3 picks based on our record alone. If we want someone in particular bad enough I'm sure DA will make the necessary moves to move up.

The C's won 4 out of 5 around this time last year and some folks thought we should fight for that last playoff spot last year as well.  These feelings will pass.

« Reply #85 on: January 28, 2015, 11:32:18 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

BUT

Respectfully, you're crazy.  Teague is an all-star PG.  Millsap is an all-star PF.  Hordford might be the best Center in the east.  Korver is the best shooter in 20 years, no exaggeration.

Schroeder is an excellent backup PG and Carroll is a mistake-free 3 and D guy.  This team is near bulletproof.  Sefolosha is just ok, but I have trouble finding a fault with them. 

« Reply #86 on: January 28, 2015, 11:33:30 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

BUT

Yeah, I don't think their recent success is sustainable. They're good, but let's see how good they are in March and April before crowning them East champs. I think they'll come back to Earth soon.
Look at their schedule.  They beat everyone.  Every single powerhouse western or eastern conference team.  Handled them.  They are real as real gets.

« Reply #87 on: January 28, 2015, 11:42:40 PM »

Offline jpotter33

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2906

BUT

Look at their schedule.  They beat everyone.  Every single powerhouse western or eastern conference team.  Handled them.  They are real as real gets.

Teams still go on runs where they play excellent basketball that isn't necessarily representative of their true talent. Let's see them sustain this the rest of the season.

« Reply #88 on: January 28, 2015, 11:46:09 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

BUT

Teams still go on runs where they play excellent basketball that isn't necessarily representative of their true talent. Let's see them sustain this the rest of the season.
38-8 isn't a fluke.  We're looking at a 67 win team.  That's no joke.

« Reply #89 on: January 28, 2015, 11:51:05 PM »

Offline D.o.s.

• NCE
  • Cedric Maxwell
  • Tommy Points: 1239
They're one of only two teams to still have single digit losses heading into February. That's a fairly sustained 'run'
At least a goldfish with a Lincoln Log on its back goin' across your floor to your sock drawer has a miraculous connotation to it.