Author Topic: The disappearing Celtics tank threads  (Read 5940 times)

Re: The disappearing Celtics tank threads
« Reply #30 on: January 28, 2015, 07:11:13 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Two of the best players in the league this year were selected 7th and 11th, and they play for the same team.

As always, getting high picks matters, and getting a higher pick makes your degree of difficulty lower, but the name of the game here is finding players who will really make an impact.  Doesn't need to be the next LeBron or Duncan.  You can find players that make a major impact outside of the top 3.

I'm not worried about the Celtics making the playoffs, but if they do, Danny has the firepower to move up to take a talent he likes in the top 10.

Yeah, befor them they had eight years drafting in the same position with nothing much to show for it, and teams very rarely trade out of the lottery. I think Ainge could move up with his second pick, but if this team makes the playoffs I hope it's because Sully or Smart have a great second half, not guys like Thorton or Prince.

« Reply #31 on: January 28, 2015, 07:13:39 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
Two of the best players in the league this year were selected 7th and 11th, and they play for the same team.

As always, getting high picks matters, and getting a higher pick makes your degree of difficulty lower, but the name of the game here is finding players who will really make an impact.  Doesn't need to be the next LeBron or Duncan.  You can find players that make a major impact outside of the top 3.

I'm not worried about the Celtics making the playoffs, but if they do, Danny has the firepower to move up to take a talent he likes in the top 10.

There is no reason to hurt the development of a young core by purposely avoiding a chance to play in a playoff series. With the amount of assets currently in the stockpile, I'm pretty sure a team (LA and NY) would be willing trade down the draft for a chance of fresh life after their superstars retire.

You would have to overpay by a lot for a team to trade down, it's a superstar driven league, teams don't want three ponys instead of a horse.

« Reply #32 on: January 28, 2015, 07:47:49 PM »

Offline dreamgreen

• NCE
  • Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 182
Danny will unload Prince or buy him out. Same could go for Thornton and even Bass. I think everyone realizes you don't want to ride those 3 guys into a playoff birth. That would be a major franchise mistake the type that costs people their jobs.

« Reply #33 on: January 28, 2015, 08:09:06 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182

Yeah, befor them they had eight years drafting in the same position with nothing much to show for it, and teams very rarely trade out of the lottery. I think Ainge could move up with his second pick, but if this team makes the playoffs I hope it's because Sully or Smart have a great second half, not guys like Thorton or Prince.

The Warriors have been on an upward trajectory since Jerry West joined the organization.  Before that, yeah, they were kind of in limbo.

Our own Kelly Olynyk is the product of a team trading out of the lottery.

You'd be right to say that it's rare for teams to trade out of the top 5 or so.  But teams trade out of the back half of the lottery fairly frequently.  Chicago traded two mid to late 1sts this past summer in order to move up and select Doug McDermott in the lottery.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2015, 08:54:08 PM »

Offline manl_lui

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 427
I'm usually on the anti tank side, but [dang] it, I want Jahill Okafor bad...I think even last year's draft, in my honest opinion would definitely be a top 5 pick as well, probably even #1...I've watched a few games (I know not a lot), and he is simply dominating all his opponents

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2015, 09:09:33 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
Danny will unload Prince or buy him out. Same could go for Thornton and even Bass. I think everyone realizes you don't want to ride those 3 guys into a playoff birth. That would be a major franchise mistake the type that costs people their jobs.
if those 3 players were enough to get a team in the playoffs we'd have a much better record.  won't happen. as for it costing Danny his job, never happen.  has about as much job security as any GM in the league