Author Topic: The disappearing Celtics tank threads  (Read 5920 times)

Re: The disappearing Celtics tank threads
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 07:28:18 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
The worst thing about not tanking this year is the top 5 teams in the East are all really good.  Not "good for the Eastern conference," but really good full stop and can all hang with the West.  The Hawks are the best team in the NBA right now and I don't mean because they have the best record.  I mean because they're the best.  It's unreal.

The Raptors, Bulls, Cavs and Wizards are also all legit teams.  We're going to have to play one of them in the first round no matter what and honestly I don't see us winning one game against any of them. 

Our best case scenario of Marcus breaking out like Dwyane Wade from his rookie year could happen in the second half, but it's unlikely given his shooting lately.  I'm more on the bandwagon for him than ever now, but I think he's going to need a season or two to develop. 

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 08:26:06 PM »

Offline Blaze4G

• Oshae Brissett
  • Tommy Points: 6
The worst thing about not tanking this year is the top 5 teams in the East are all really good.  Not "good for the Eastern conference," but really good full stop and can all hang with the West.  The Hawks are the best team in the NBA right now and I don't mean because they have the best record.  I mean because they're the best.  It's unreal.

The Raptors, Bulls, Cavs and Wizards are also all legit teams.  We're going to have to play one of them in the first round no matter what and honestly I don't see us winning one game against any of them. 

Our best case scenario of Marcus breaking out like Dwyane Wade from his rookie year could happen in the second half, but it's unlikely given his shooting lately.  I'm more on the bandwagon for him than ever now, but I think he's going to need a season or two to develop.

I think currently warriors is the best team in the league. Hawks are close, however I think warriors are more versatile and have more weapons. I don't think the wizards are that great, I would rank them with a team like the Suns.

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 08:55:18 PM »

Offline slamtheking

• NCE
  • Red Auerbach
  • Tommy Points: 10047
I was one of the people who thought we were the 5th-6th worst team in the league. I was assuming that they would find a way to trade/buy out the expiring veterans like Bass, Thornton and Prince. If those moves happen I think we sink like a stone.

If not I think we will slide into the last spot in the playoffs then get swept by the Hawks.
I had similar opinions about this team.  thought they were bad enough to be a bottom 5 team before the Rondo trade.  figured they'd continue to unload vets for picks or better contracts for buying players out. 

still think they'll be a bottom 5 teams in the end.  NY, Philly and Minn are clearly the bottom of the barrel this year.  thought for sure LA would improve when Kobe returned and win more than the C's just based on Kobe's drive to win (not based on their dearth of talent).  seems that will not be the case.

the other teams that are jockeying for position with the C's right now all have better talent and that will win out in the end.

worst record has only won the draft 3 times so far.  I'm not worried about the C's not having the worst record.  As Nick pointed out, didn't hurt Cleveland last year or the year before.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 09:12:32 PM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
Celticsblog meme of the season 2011-12 and 2012-13: Blow it up!
Celticsblog meme of the season 2013-14: tank!
Celticsblog meme of the season 2014-15: Sneak into the playoffs, swept by the Hawks

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2015, 09:32:04 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
Two of the best players in the league this year were selected 7th and 11th, and they play for the same team.

As always, getting high picks matters, and getting a higher pick makes your degree of difficulty lower, but the name of the game here is finding players who will really make an impact.  Doesn't need to be the next LeBron or Duncan.  You can find players that make a major impact outside of the top 3.

I'm not worried about the Celtics making the playoffs, but if they do, Danny has the firepower to move up to take a talent he likes in the top 10.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2015, 10:04:12 PM »

Offline GreenGoggles

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 76
I think the decline in both tank and don't tank threads is simply due to fatigue. It's a tired conversation at this stage and everyone knows everyone else's main talking points. Now I'd much prefer to complain about veterans getting too many minutes over some of our younger players, and next season I'll find something else to complain about because that's what we do as fans, we nitpick.

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2015, 10:37:46 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I bet this team loses more than it wins the rest of your, OP want to bet?

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2015, 11:09:01 PM »

Offline Boris Badenov

• Rajon Rondo
  • Tommy Points: 1065
Cleveland won the lottery with 33 wins last year.

I am well aware.. that is really hardly related to the post. I would be more curious how often there have been 5 teams that went on a combined 1-34 stretch. That is insane and warrants discussion.
Of course it is relevant. You are wondering whether the Celtics are too good a team to get low enough to get what you consider to be a good lottery pick next year. But last year the team with the 9th worse record and 33 wins(a win total the Celtics will probably not exceed) won the lottery and got the first pick. Over the last 7 years the 8th or 9th worst team has won the first pick three times. Over the last ten years teams that win the lottery average around 30 wins.

The C's had a few fortunate circumstances lead to them winning 3 of 4. So has just about every bad team in the league. Then they go back to being bad again. The C's are going to be bad this year. How bad, who knows. But you just have to look back to know that not ending up with a top 2 or 3 worst record in the league doesn't mean you can't get lucky by winning the lottery or drafting a superstar that some teams let slip to you if you do draft in the 6-10 area.

Celticsclay is right, these are absolute non sequiturs in this otherwise very interesting thread.

Q: "Have your views of our likely lottery position changed over the last two weeks?"

A: "Sometimes teams with low lottery odds win the lottery."

Er, okay.

Anyhow, yeah, count me as one of the people who was pretty sure we'd be 4th-6th a couple of weeks ago. Now, I agree, we are more likely headed for something in the 8-10 range.

Not sure how I feel about this...if we had Andrew Wiggins, I wouldn't mind so much. But I still think we are in desperate need of a top tier talent, and a top 5 draft pick would sure help our chances of getting that.

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2015, 11:13:51 PM »

Offline guava_wrench

• Satch Sanders
  • Tommy Points: 777
Danny will make moves when they are available. The players will go out and try to win.

« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2015, 11:40:24 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
Two of the best players in the league this year were selected 7th and 11th, and they play for the same team.

As always, getting high picks matters, and getting a higher pick makes your degree of difficulty lower, but the name of the game here is finding players who will really make an impact.  Doesn't need to be the next LeBron or Duncan.  You can find players that make a major impact outside of the top 3.

I'm not worried about the Celtics making the playoffs, but if they do, Danny has the firepower to move up to take a talent he likes in the top 10.

There is no reason to hurt the development of a young core by purposely avoiding a chance to play in a playoff series. With the amount of assets currently in the stockpile, I'm pretty sure a team (LA and NY) would be willing trade down the draft for a chance of fresh life after their superstars retire.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2015, 12:18:56 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
I think we could get a game (maybe two) against the Hawks in a seven game series. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2015, 12:35:46 AM »

Offline Alleyoopster

• Bill Walton
  • Tommy Points: 150

The Celtics showed in the last few games that with a key player out they can scare anyone.  If one of the teams you mentioned (except the Hawks) is short-handed the C's might have a decent chance to win.  Given that NBA injuries are the norm not the exception, that is very possible.  (But first they have to make the playoffs...)

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2015, 05:55:23 PM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
With the amount of assets currently in the stockpile, I'm pretty sure a team (LA and NY) would be willing trade down the draft for a chance of fresh life after their superstars retire.

Isn't that exactly what I said?

I don't think this Celtics team would stand a chance of winning any games in a playoff series against the best teams in the East.

Just too easy to flummox our young guys offensively and slice into the paint for easy scores on the other end.  Not a tough team to gameplan for at all.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #28 on: January 28, 2015, 06:33:04 PM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2961
Danny and the owners are the ones in charge of ...a tanking  ::).......so why beat up the coach , players and fans for wanting to win....... ::).  Is really stupid .

Entitle the threads .....Danny why are you not tanking harder ...please help!   ;D

Gettin your underwater all in a twist about Bass playing hard...which by the way is his job .....to WIN games and entertain US fans just makes no sense.   

Wishing bad luck on the team your suppose to like ......seems like bad karma .....

Long as their winning a few games ...fans happy ..so what?...we ve lost plenty .....too many.....losing 30 games in a row is not happening ......we can 't get worse than the worst three .......I hope the guys continue to try and do their best

« Reply #29 on: January 28, 2015, 06:46:09 PM »

Offline wehadvinbaker

• Jaden Springer
  • Tommy Points: 3
i agree completely with this sentiment