Author Topic: Blazers "active" on the trade market - a home for Bass or Prince?  (Read 1790 times)

Offline krumeto

• Al Horford
  • Tommy Points: 72
Some media speculation based on an interview of Blazers general manager Neil Olshey. The interview and the speculations: http://www.oregonlive.com/blazers/index.ssf/2015/01/trail_blazers_trades_signings.html

The proposed trade (among others) by the Portland writer:
Bass for Robinson, Wright and some pick.

The pick could be only a 1st rounder IMO. They do not own their 2nd rounders until 2020.

That one would be a no-brainer for me. Works also for Prince if they prefer him. If the pick is a 1st rounder, I'd be willing to include Crowder.
"We do so many defensive drills in practice, I come home and I'm putting the press on my woman, denying her the ball.
Y'all are laughing, but it's sad. I go home and deny the wing."

Re: Blazers "active" on the trade market - a home for Bass or Prince?
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 03:55:38 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
  • Tommy Points: 2352
I feel like Prince is a perfect fit for Portland. Can help cut down on Batum's usage and give him some rest, can play a smallball 4 in a pinch, good passing and court vision, championship experience.

Marvin Williams, Charlotte Hornets

Contract status: $7.0 million this season, $7.0 million next season.

Who would Portland give up: Robinson ($3.7 million) and Wright ($3.1 million)

Why Portland would do it: Williams has size and can shoot and is a better than average defender.

Why Charlotte would do it: Strictly a money saving deal should they feel they aren't going to make a push with their current roster.

Potential road blocks: Not a great passer, which is a prerequisite to fit into Stotts' flow offense and Charlotte probably would want more in return.

Prince is a better fit than Marvin Williams, and I suspect a pick swap (Portland sends a 1st, Boston sends a decent 2nd) in addition to the contracts of Robinson and Wright would be enough to get it done.
DKC League is now on reddit!: http://www.reddit.com/r/dkcleague

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 04:02:08 PM »

Offline celticsclay

• Reggie Lewis
  • Tommy Points: 1386
I feel like Prince is a perfect fit for Portland. Can help cut down on Batum's usage and give him some rest, can play a smallball 4 in a pinch, good passing and court vision, championship experience.

Marvin Williams, Charlotte Hornets

Contract status: $7.0 million this season, $7.0 million next season.

Who would Portland give up: Robinson ($3.7 million) and Wright ($3.1 million)

Why Portland would do it: Williams has size and can shoot and is a better than average defender.

Why Charlotte would do it: Strictly a money saving deal should they feel they aren't going to make a push with their current roster.

Potential road blocks: Not a great passer, which is a prerequisite to fit into Stotts' flow offense and Charlotte probably would want more in return.

Prince is a better fit than Marvin Williams, and I suspect a pick swap (Portland sends a 1st, Boston sends a decent 2nd) in addition to the contracts of Robinson and Wright would be enough to get it done.

Something interesting about this... are high second round picks (like 33rd) sometimes of higher value than a very late first (27th to 30th)? The reason being a lot of times you will be able to get them same player, but you wont be committed to giving them two years guaranteed money for what very well may be a fringe prospect.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:05:55 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
^ In some cases and under certain circumstances, I think you may be right. It may be easier to gamble/reach for a guy with a 2nd round pick, because that salary isn't guaranteed. Also cheaper.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:07:58 PM »

Offline Lucky17

• DKC Commish
  • JoJo White
Also, playing around with the Trade Checker, I believe the following works salary-wise:

Bass for Robinson and Barton
Prince for Crabbe, Claver, and Wright

Certainly, I think Ainge could ask for an outright 1st if both Bass and Prince were heading to Portland.

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:19:10 PM »

Offline fairweatherfan

• Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 2365
  • Be the posts you wish to see in the world.
^ In some cases and under certain circumstances, I think you may be right. It may be easier to gamble/reach for a guy with a 2nd round pick, because that salary isn't guaranteed. Also cheaper.

Also since you can OVERpay a 2nd, in some circumstances it makes it much easier to get foreign prospects to come over. 

I remember that being the case with Pekovic - he refused to come over for a late 1st rookie scale deal, so his starting contract as the #31 pick wound up being something like quadruple #30 JR Giddens' standard rookie deal.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2015, 04:26:30 PM by foulweatherfan »

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »

Offline saltlover

• Frank Ramsey
  • Tommy Points: 2619

Also since you can OVERpay a 2nd, in some circumstances it makes it much easier to get foreign prospects to come over. 

I remember that being the case with Pekovic - he refused to come over for a late 1st rookie scale deal, so his starting contract as the #31 pick wound up being something like quadruple #30 JR Giddens' standard rookie deal.

On the other hand, with the cap skyrocketing in the next season or two, it's perfectly possible you see more players either hold out or sign 1-year tenders like KJ McDaniels did this summer.  It would not surprise me at al if in 2016 the 31st pick got paid more than the 30th.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 04:56:44 PM »

Offline Smartacus

• Bailey Howell
  • Tommy Points: 318
Anyone know how Will Barton's developed? I've seen a game or 2 where he was the best player on the floor. Athletic, streaky shooter, solid defense.

Figured he'd have a bigger roll by now.