Author Topic: Team Needs and Filling the gaps  (Read 6975 times)

Re: Team Needs and Filling the gaps
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2015, 09:15:35 AM »

Offline GzUP617

• Derrick White
  • Tommy Points: 12

Karl Towns is not a rim protector,  if you've seen any of his games at Kentucky you'd know that he struggles on defensive rotations.  He can block shots but even Fab Melo blocked shots.

He's years away from being a contributing player in the league.

« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2015, 10:00:02 AM »

Offline PhoSita

• NCE
  • Robert Parish
  • Tommy Points: 2182
I know it's such an annoying answer, but for now the only "need" that matters on the Celtics roster is the lack of a star.  The #1 goal is finding a high impact player to slot in long term.  Until then, everything else is in flux, so there's not much point in worrying about the minutia.

Note that I'm not talking about a LeBron / Durant level guy.  They need a mid-00s Pierce type player, then the conversation can shift to how we fill in the other gaps and get good supporting / complementary core pieces.
You’ll have to excuse my lengthiness—the reason I dread writing letters is because I am so apt to get to slinging wisdom & forget to let up. Thus much precious time is lost.
- Mark Twain

« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2015, 02:26:26 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199

Karl Towns is not a rim protector,  if you've seen any of his games at Kentucky you'd know that he struggles on defensive rotations.  He can block shots but even Fab Melo blocked shots.

I actually agree, which is why I have him 8-15.  Doubt he'll be available, but I'd take a flier there on Towns over somebody like Porzingis.

« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2015, 02:40:26 PM »

Offline jonaslopes

• Jrue Holiday
  • Tommy Points: 31
I know it's such an annoying answer, but for now the only "need" that matters on the Celtics roster is the lack of a star.  The #1 goal is finding a high impact player to slot in long term.  Until then, everything else is in flux, so there's not much point in worrying about the minutia.

Note that I'm not talking about a LeBron / Durant level guy.  They need a mid-00s Pierce type player, then the conversation can shift to how we fill in the other gaps and get good supporting / complementary core pieces.

Sometimes I think about a "Pierce style" player. Of course, it's very hard to find. Tobias Harris is a poor man's Pierce in my opinion, but I think he's going to be overpaid next off-season.
It's nice seeing him get exposed as overrated after having argued with fellow fans for years that he was overrated.. but I don't hate him. I'm looking forward to seeing him [...] bounce around to a couple more teams... eventually come back to Boston[...] and helps us as a role player until he runs himself out of the league.
LarBrd33 on Rondo

« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2015, 04:02:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
We have many needs, I don 't think any of our guys is a starter on a championship type team right now.  Sully is good rebounder and scores but is pathetic on D.   I don't ever think you should build a team around a poor defender, ever. 

Most of our guys are good at several aspects of the game but not well rounded.  Smart shows promise,  Young shows promise but both guys are a ways away , I still would like to see a whole new athletic front court.  We could go many different ways and have so many gaps and needs.

« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2015, 01:18:54 AM »

Offline Celtics18

• Ed Macauley
  • Tommy Points: 1469
We have many needs, I don 't think any of our guys is a starter on a championship type team right now.  Sully is good rebounder and scores but is pathetic on D.   I don't ever think you should build a team around a poor defender, ever. 

Most of our guys are good at several aspects of the game but not well rounded.  Smart shows promise,  Young shows promise but both guys are a ways away , I still would like to see a whole new athletic front court.  We could go many different ways and have so many gaps and needs.

It worked out okay for the Mavs. 
DKC Seventy-Sixers:

PG: G. Hill/D. Schroder
SG: C. Lee/B. Hield/T. Luwawu
SF:  Giannis/J. Lamb/M. Kuzminskas
PF:  E. Ilyasova/J. Jerebko/R. Christmas
C:    N. Vucevic/K. Olynyk/E. Davis/C. Jefferson

« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2015, 01:49:15 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji

I actually agree, which is why I have him 8-15.  Doubt he'll be available, but I'd take a flier there on Towns over somebody like Porzingis.

If he can block shots, then what's the problem?  Christ, we don't have ANYONE on this team who can even do that, smh.  Ugh.  Who would you rather have instead?

« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2015, 01:55:16 AM »

Offline Beat LA

• NCE
  • Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 896
  • Mr. Emoji
Before we can get talent ......

Ah  ::)

We need some GOOD talent scouts ......proven .......the Celtics scouts have Failed "F "

Miserably .........dear Wyc .......hire NEW talent scouts

Please find out WHO scouts the Bulls Talent ...pay them TWICE THE AMOUNT to work for Boston

Something is WRONG with the talent finders .......

Danny needs serious scouting help.........

Thank you - TP.  I've been saying the same thing for what feels like forever, lol. ;D Don't forget about Houston's scouts, either.  Those guys know talent.

« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2015, 02:09:13 AM »

Offline pokeKingCurtis

• Ray Allen
  • Tommy Points: 280
With franchise guys like Royce White and Jeremy Lamb, Houston sure knows how to rate talent.

Hire me. I can do the same. "Get LeBron. If that fails, get Harden and/or Dwight."