Author Topic: Team Needs and Filling the gaps  (Read 6990 times)

Team Needs and Filling the gaps
« on: January 27, 2015, 01:55:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
  • Tommy Points: 199
This is my ordered list of the weaknesses/ needs on the team in order or importance and how I would value them in the draft.  I generally advocate best player available, but I see this draft having 5 segments:

1. Top 4
2. 5-8
3. 8-15
4. 15-30
5. Flier

I'm taking into account draft position, so I' rather draft Delon Wright with the 26th pick than Mudiay with the 2nd pick.  I would be satisfied taking the player in the segment next to their name.

Rim Protector
    Cauley Stein (KU) - 3
    Karl Towns (KU) - 3

Interior Presence (toughness, rebounding, D fundamentals)
    Cliff Alexander (Kansas) - 4
    Montrezl Harrell (Louisville) - 4
    Bobby Portis (Arkansas) - 4

Playmaking, Ball Handling
    D'Angelo Russell (Ohio State) - 1
    Delon Wright (Utah) - 4
    Jerian Grant (Notre Dame) - 5
    Emmanuel Mudiay - 2

Go-To Scorer
    Jahlil Okafor (Duke) - 1 (clear #1 overall)
    D'Angelo Russell - 1
    Stanley Johnson (Arizona) - 2

Shooting
    Devin Booker (Kentucky) - 3

Re: Team Needs and Filling the gaps
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 02:46:41 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja
good thread and lots of work. thanks and a tp.

one small question for you.  what do you mean by "segment next to their name?" What does that number refer to specifically? their draft position as listed above? if so, then i am not sure why towns is in the #3, 8-15 range. he won't last past the 3/4 spot.
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:28 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I would concentrate on front court guys and the best player where we draft.   I think to be a champion we need a whole new front court.   One that is athletic and can play D and still score.  But if a good player was where we draft, I think you have to take the best available, regardless of position.  I also do not want us to get any more  6'7" power forwards and get some real size, I know Bass and Sully are listed at 6'8" and 6'9" but they seem shorter compared to other players.   NO MORE TWEENERS.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 04:09:26 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

one small question for you.  what do you mean by "segment next to their name?" What does that number refer to specifically? their draft position as listed above? if so, then i am not sure why towns is in the #3, 8-15 range. he won't last past the 3/4 spot.
The numbers DO correspond to the ranges.  You're right that Towns won't last.  I wouldn't pick him that high though.  I'm not as high on him as most.

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 04:23:33 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I would concentrate on front court guys and the best player where we draft.   I think to be a champion we need a whole new front court.   One that is athletic and can play D and still score.  But if a good player was where we draft, I think you have to take the best available, regardless of position.  I also do not want us to get any more  6'7" power forwards and get some real size, I know Bass and Sully are listed at 6'8" and 6'9" but they seem shorter compared to other players.   NO MORE TWEENERS.
I agree.  No more tweeners.  That said, Stanley Johnson is a legit 6'7" with an nba frame.  Ron Artest like.  Harrell and Alexander look like potential tweeners until you check their wingspan and athleticism.  Plenty of good prototypical bodies to choose from.

Alexander
    6-8 to 6-9ish, 254lbs
    7' 3.5" wingspan
    9'+ standing reach
Harrell
    6-8, 230lbs (would be surprised if this is still correct)
    7'3" wingspan
    8'11" standing reach
Russell
    Legit 6-5", can play either guard spot IMO
Portis
    6'10", 235lbs but good frame to build on
Booker
    6-5, 186lbs pure shooting guard.
Mudiay
    6-5", 200
    6-8" wingspan (makes you appreciate M. Smart)

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 04:44:12 PM »

Offline hwangjini_1

• Kevin Garnett
  • Tommy Points: 2663
  • bammokja

The numbers DO correspond to the ranges.  You're right that Towns won't last.  I wouldn't pick him that high though.  I'm not as high on him as most.
got it. thanks...oh, and we disagree about mudaiy as well.  ;D
I believe Gandhi is the only person who knew about real democracy — not democracy as the right to go and buy what you want, but democracy as the responsibility to be accountable to everyone around you. Democracy begins with freedom from hunger, freedom from unemployment, freedom from fear, and freedom from hatred.
- Vandana Shiva

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 04:54:28 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3
   I think this is easy, similar to last year you draft best available with first and put in a little more with need with second pick. I would have loved if they move up last year with their second pick, hopefully missing out on Jurif last year will motivate them to cash in assets to mov up this year. My prediction is Celtics get the ninth pick overall. Okafor, Towns, Mundaiy, Johnson, Russell, Turner, Oubre, Looney will be gone and the C's will pick Mario. Then use a protected first to move up and land Porzingis. Levert or  Dakari will be taken with the 33rd pick.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 05:01:12 PM »

Offline Mass_1081

• The Green Kornet
  • Tommy Points: 3

I don't think Sully is a tweener for a pf, the mold seems to be more a long the lines of a Millsap or Ibaka now. Your not going to find a athletic pf that is great on both ends in the draft,  that type of player would go first. A lot of people are high on Towns because he has a chance to become that. If they move let's say KO and a pick for Harrison Barnes at the end of the season and then draft Looney might be a way to go, but Looney  has holes also.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 05:28:01 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
porzingis-i have tried warming to him but he is so light and has no shoulders--i think he had breathing issues as a kid.please no more beanpoles.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 05:54:44 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
porzingis-i have tried warming to him but he is so light and has no shoulders--i think he had breathing issues as a kid.please no more beanpoles.
Agree.  Said the same thing a while back.

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 05:59:16 PM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney

I don't think Sully is a tweener for a pf, the mold seems to be more a long the lines of a Millsap or Ibaka now. Your not going to find a athletic pf that is great on both ends in the draft,  that type of player would go first. A lot of people are high on Towns because he has a chance to become that. If they move let's say KO and a pick for Harrison Barnes at the end of the season and then draft Looney might be a way to go, but Looney  has holes also.
Millsap, Sully, and Towns are all different IMO.

Millsap - way more mobile
Sully - far better IQ and fundamentals than Towns
Town - nice length, good D potential, but hasn't shown too much

« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2015, 07:30:17 AM »

Offline PickNRoll

• Don Chaney
I see DraftExpress slid Russell up to #2 and Towns down to #4 in their mock.

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2015, 08:49:12 AM »

Offline jambr380

• K.C. Jones
  • Tommy Points: 1762
  • Everybody knows what's best for you
I see DraftExpress slid Russell up to #2 and Towns down to #4 in their mock.

Pretty rough spots for the Cs right now - looks like the Clips are only a couple games up on getting 20th pick (instead of 27th) and the Cs are only a couple games up on getting 5th pick (instead of 10th). DraftExpress seems to have adjusted the top of the rankings to what everybody around here was thinking all along.

« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2015, 09:00:55 AM »

Offline Eddie20

• Don Nelson
  • Tommy Points: 975
We need athletes on the team. This problem overall, but most notable along the frontline.

« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2015, 09:13:13 AM »

Offline SHAQATTACK

• James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2968
Before we can get talent ......

Ah  ::)

We need some GOOD talent scouts ......proven .......the Celtics scouts have Failed "F "

Miserably .........dear Wyc .......hire NEW talent scouts

Please find out WHO scouts the Bulls Talent ...pay them TWICE THE AMOUNT to work for Boston

Something is WRONG with the talent finders .......

Danny needs serious scouting help.........