Author Topic: Player Comparisons  (Read 4862 times)

Re: Player Comparisons
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2015, 04:32:34 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
Comps don't get a "lite." If you have to use "lite," it means that they aren't comparable because the guy you're talking about isn't good enough. Not worth comparing.

Olynyk's best comp is Andrea Bargnani. I know you don't want to go there, but it really is true.

Sullinger's is actually drawing closer and closer to the comparison we all had for him from the beginning- Al Jefferson. He takes care of the ball better, passes better, and rebounds a little worse than Al did at that age. He plays a similar style of PF, except for his weird long game. Check out their rates - http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2015&p1=sullija01&y2=2007&p2=jeffeal01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_minute::none

Remember when Deron Williams was hailed as a big, strong, defense-first point guard with great leadership skills who might not get by his defender at the NBA level? Remember when he was the second point guard off the draft board at #6? You resist comparing them because of Williams' rep as a shooter, but Marcus Smart is presently besting Williams' career 3P% and matching his rookie rates in most respects while playing a similar style 1-2 hybrid http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2015&p1=smartma01&y2=2006&p2=willide01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_minute::none

I could see Deron Williams - Marcus Smart a little bit, but I like the Kyle Lowry comp better.

I don't get the Bargnani comparison? He was an average shooter and good shot-blocker, but poor at rebounding. Olynyk is a better shooter and rebounder (according to the stats), but not a shot-blocker at all. Not to mention that Olynyk has a sneaky, quirky game around the basket that Bargnani never really had.

Sully is not Jefferson. Sully plays in the high post and top of the key a lot of the time. Jefferson is always a low post scorer. Sully can shoot the three. Jefferson cannot. Jefferson has played center most of his career, but Sully has played power forward.

« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2015, 04:34:10 PM »

• Paul Silas
Besides being fat, what similarities do Boris Diaw and Sully really have?

Rebounding, three point shooting, under-sized, finishing around the rim, assists, poor defense at the rim

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2015, 04:37:11 PM »

• Paul Silas
Given your name Defensewins and you rate two horrible defenders in Sully and Oly very high.  I find that ironic is a sense.

Team defense wins championships. Young bigs take more time to develop their weaknesses. Olynyk has to learn to contest at the rim without fouling, but he is putting forth the effort. Sully needs to get more active at defending the rim. Sully and Olynyk are never going to be elite, but I do think they could succeed in a team concept.

« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2015, 08:55:14 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

I could see Deron Williams - Marcus Smart a little bit, but I like the Kyle Lowry comp better.

Lowry is much smaller and he is a slasher, but there are definitely similarities in terms of how physical they play and how hard they pressure the ball on defense.

I don't get the Bargnani comparison? He was an average shooter and good shot-blocker, but poor at rebounding. Olynyk is a better shooter and rebounder (according to the stats), but not a shot-blocker at all. Not to mention that Olynyk has a sneaky, quirky game around the basket that Bargnani never really had.

Bargnani was actually the better 3-point shooter, but all those points are valid. You gravitate towards optimistic comps, and this one is pessimistic, it's true. Olynyk has all of the same strengths and deficits, though, with the possible exceptions of the smarter all-5 play and those sneaky used-to-be-a-point-guard moves. The similarities are clear enough. Both are mobile 7-foot centers that are nonetheless easily physically dominated and can't compete athletically; both are in the NBA because of their balance, shooting, passing, and ball handling; both are excellent free throw shooters who can't draw fouls.

Sully is not Jefferson. Sully plays in the high post and top of the key a lot of the time. Jefferson is always a low post scorer. Sully can shoot the three. Jefferson cannot. Jefferson has played center most of his career, but Sully has played power forward.

You are correct about the high-low and the three, although for the way the game is played right now, Sullinger catches deep and posts up a lot more often than most 4s (or even 5s). You are not correct about Jefferson- in Boston he spent most of his time at the 4 with Blount and Perkins at the 5 in his first two years, switching to mostly 5 in his third year. Sullinger, in his third year, has also split his time about evenly between the two positions so far (although he's playing more 4 right now).