Author Topic: Player Comparisons  (Read 4861 times)

Player Comparisons
« on: January 27, 2015, 12:24:15 PM »

Offline DefenseWinsChamps

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 766
At risk of starting a riot on here, I wanted to share some player comparisons for Smart, Sullinger, and Olynyk, considering talent level, player role, and stats. These are players that I hope our players will study in the off-season and pick up a few tips on how to play a specific role and succeed.

Sully - Milsap, Boris Diaw, Patterson, Love-lite, Lee
Sully is trying to add the ability to pump fake and drive this year, which would make him a very similar player to Milsap. He needs to be more actively engaged in help-side defense. It also wouldn't hurt for him to lose another 5-10 pounds of fat, which, interestingly, is something Milsap had to do before he took the leap to the next level. He needs to continue to work on his shooting also, but Sully in one of only a few players in the NBA who can legitimately player offense in the post or around the three point line.

Olynyk - Dirk-lite, Parsons, Lee-lite, Turkoglu
Olynyk is one of the most unique players in the NBA. He is an elite passer at power forward already and might be one of the best shooting big men in the NBA too. Olynyk and year-two Dirk have eerily similar per48 minute stats. The two differences are 1) Fouls per game and 2) Free throws per game. These are pretty fixable flaws, especially for a second-year big man who is still getting used to NBA athletes. This off-season, if he could add a few pump fakes and learn to get to the free throw line, his efficiency and scoring would soar. He will never be an great defender, but Dirk has done alright in the NBA and his defense has never been above average. Olynyk may also look to develop a few moves from Parsons or Turkoglu. One or two dribble pullups and a few pump fakes would make him a bit more of a point forward-type of player.

Smart - Lowry, Matthews, Afflalo
It has been really surprising that Smart has struggled to get to the free throw line this year, but I don't think we have seen the real Marcus Smart yet. I think he is primed to be a MIP next year, especially if he puts in the work this off-season. I also wonder how long it will be before Stevens adds a play where he posts up Smart with four three point shooters around him. Smart is a starting caliber guard in this league, and in Stevens system, he may be a fringe all-star, but he desperately needs to recover his feel for driving and drawing fouls, and for that, he needs to study Kyle Lowry. If he could add a D-Rose runner and Afflalo postup too, he would be a perfect compliment to Sully and Olynyk.

Re: Player Comparisons
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2015, 12:41:57 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
I think your ratings are way too high across the board given how these guys play presently.

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2015, 01:11:53 PM »

• Paul Silas
Given how these players who are rookies, second year players, and third year players are playing? Yeah, they aren't the same players yet.

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2015, 01:31:47 PM »

Offline coffee425

• Jayson Tatum
  • Tommy Points: 122
At risk of starting a riot on here, I wanted to share some player comparisons for Smart, Sullinger, and Olynyk, considering talent level, player role, and stats. These are players that I hope our players will study in the off-season and pick up a few tips on how to play a specific role and succeed.

Sully - Milsap, Boris Diaw, Patterson, Love-lite, Lee
Sully is trying to add the ability to pump fake and drive this year, which would make him a very similar player to Milsap. He needs to be more actively engaged in help-side defense. It also wouldn't hurt for him to lose another 5-10 pounds of fat, which, interestingly, is something Milsap had to do before he took the leap to the next level. He needs to continue to work on his shooting also, but Sully in one of only a few players in the NBA who can legitimately player offense in the post or around the three point line.

Olynyk - Dirk-lite, Parsons, Lee-lite, Turkoglu
Olynyk is one of the most unique players in the NBA. He is an elite passer at power forward already and might be one of the best shooting big men in the NBA too. Olynyk and year-two Dirk have eerily similar per48 minute stats. The two differences are 1) Fouls per game and 2) Free throws per game. These are pretty fixable flaws, especially for a second-year big man who is still getting used to NBA athletes. This off-season, if he could add a few pump fakes and learn to get to the free throw line, his efficiency and scoring would soar. He will never be an great defender, but Dirk has done alright in the NBA and his defense has never been above average. Olynyk may also look to develop a few moves from Parsons or Turkoglu. One or two dribble pullups and a few pump fakes would make him a bit more of a point forward-type of player.

Smart - Lowry, Matthews, Afflalo
It has been really surprising that Smart has struggled to get to the free throw line this year, but I don't think we have seen the real Marcus Smart yet. I think he is primed to be a MIP next year, especially if he puts in the work this off-season. I also wonder how long it will be before Stevens adds a play where he posts up Smart with four three point shooters around him. Smart is a starting caliber guard in this league, and in Stevens system, he may be a fringe all-star, but he desperately needs to recover his feel for driving and drawing fouls, and for that, he needs to study Kyle Lowry. If he could add a D-Rose runner and Afflalo postup too, he would be a perfect compliment to Sully and Olynyk.

I guess the ffirst two are fair, except maybe Dirk-lite. I'm not sure that'll ever happen..
But I got a sweet chuckle comparing Marcus to players from 3 different position lol. I'll go with Billups and Lowry. Especially if he keeps up the shooting.
Even at the end of the game, we lined up in different formation that he hadn't seen and he called out our play before I got the ball. I heard him calling it out. -John Wall on Brad Stevens

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2015, 02:36:39 PM »

Offline rollie mass

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 1233
TP for your effort-

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2015, 02:59:03 PM »

Offline Maurice98

• Sam Hauser
  • Tommy Points: 36
What about James Young's comparison?

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2015, 03:00:22 PM »

Offline droopdog7

• Paul Silas
  • Tommy Points: 466
Given how these players who are rookies, second year players, and third year players are playing? Yeah, they aren't the same players yet.
People act like projections always slope upward. I don't think any of our guys have the talent of any of the comps.

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2015, 03:16:15 PM »

• Paul Silas
What about James Young's comparison?

I haven't seen enough of James Young yet to make a really good comparison, but I think Martell Webster or Trevor Ariza are possibilities. It kinda' depends on if he can run the pick-and-roll or if he needs to play off the ball and work off other shot-creators. It also depends on if he can get better on defense.

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2015, 03:25:17 PM »

• Paul Silas
People act like projections always slope upward. I don't think any of our guys have the talent of any of the comps.

Nobody thought the players I listed had that good of talent at first either. Compare Milsap and Sully in year three of their careers.
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/stats/_/id/3015/paul-millsap
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/6624/jared-sullinger
Eerily similar numbers

or Smart and Lowry
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/3012/kyle-lowry
http://espn.go.com/nba/player/_/id/2990992/marcus-smart

Hindsight is 20/20, but what is really difficult is overlooking the potential weaknesses or lack of production and developing them as players until they become really good. Stevens will do that.

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2015, 03:26:15 PM »

Offline Nerf DPOY

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 377

Millsap, Lee, Afflalo and Mathews aren't players who came into the league with the pedigree of a future all-star, nor are they perfect players (though Millsap's really good). With improvement, I don't see comparisons to those 4 as pie in the sky or that far out there.

Edit: That's like the third time this month someone's taken the words out of my mouth moments before my post. I just think too slow. :)

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2015, 03:27:16 PM »

Offline Celtics4ever

• NCE
  • Johnny Most
  • Tommy Points: 1323
Given your name Defensewins and you rate two horrible defenders in Sully and Oly very high.  I find that ironic is a sense.

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2015, 03:33:06 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343
Comps don't get a "lite." If you have to use "lite," it means that they aren't comparable because the guy you're talking about isn't good enough. Not worth comparing.

Olynyk's best comp is Andrea Bargnani. I know you don't want to go there, but it really is true.

Sullinger's is actually drawing closer and closer to the comparison we all had for him from the beginning- Al Jefferson. He takes care of the ball better, passes better, and rebounds a little worse than Al did at that age. He plays a similar style of PF, except for his weird long game. Check out their rates - http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2015&p1=sullija01&y2=2007&p2=jeffeal01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_minute::none

Remember when Deron Williams was hailed as a big, strong, defense-first point guard with great leadership skills who might not get by his defender at the NBA level? Remember when he was the second point guard off the draft board at #6? You resist comparing them because of Williams' rep as a shooter, but Marcus Smart is presently besting Williams' career 3P% and matching his rookie rates in most respects while playing a similar style 1-2 hybrid http://www.basketball-reference.com/play-index/pcm_finder.cgi?request=1&sum=1&y1=2015&p1=smartma01&y2=2006&p2=willide01&p3=&p4=&p5=&p6=#per_minute::none

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2015, 03:36:04 PM »

Offline sofutomygaha

• Jim Loscutoff
  • Tommy Points: 343

dwc- I see that your post was meant more as aspirational comps. I'm sorry if my response was out of context for the thread.

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2015, 03:44:51 PM »

Offline indeedproceed

• In The Rafters
  • James Naismith
  • Tommy Points: 2756
  • You ain't the boss of the freakin' bedclothes.
Kelly Olynyk: I'd compare him to a condor. Big reach, a unique specimen, ultimately won't stick around, and kind of ill-fitted for the modern environment.

"You've gotta respect a 15-percent 3-point shooter. A guy
like that is always lethal." - Evan 'The God' Turner

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2015, 03:50:01 PM »

Offline Quetzalcoatl

• Antoine Walker
  • Tommy Points: 419
Besides being fat, what similarities do Boris Diaw and Sully really have?